Is Elevated LDL from a Ketogenic diet a Health Concern?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@Bluetit1802
Fasting test (not specified by surgery, but I fast before the test anyway).

Trigs under 1.9 fasting (under 2.3 non fasting) - 1.59
HDL above 1.2 - 1.74

LDL under 3 - 4.59
Total/HDL ratio under 5 - 4.06
Non HDL under 4 - 5.32
Trigs/HDL ratio ideally under 0.87 - 0.91

So not fully matching the list (do you have a reference for it?). Thanks anyway.

The higher LDL skews two measures.

Increasing HDL slightly would fix all but the Non-HDL measure.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802
Fasting test (not specified by surgery, but I fast before the test anyway).

Trigs under 1.9 fasting (under 2.3 non fasting) - 1.59
HDL above 1.2 - 1.74

LDL under 3 - 4.59
Total/HDL ratio under 5 - 4.06
Non HDL under 4 - 5.32
Trigs/HDL ratio ideally under 0.87 - 0.91

So not fully matching the list (do you have a reference for it?). Thanks anyway.

The higher LDL skews two measures.

Increasing HDL slightly would fix all but the Non-HDL measure.

I don't have any links handy, but those lipid figures are from my lab reports and on-line records. I am female, so male targets may be different, and labs do vary. I got the ratios off the internet ages ago. The Hugh Calc website may help.
http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

All lipid tests used to be fasting, then NICE decided this was causing issues within surgeries because of the need for early morning blood taking, in turn causing long waiting lists. So surgeries no longer ask us to fast, but like you, I always do anyway.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I would too, only I don't get triglycerides by default when I have a test. They just post me a blood form for a standard test with instructions to get a blood sample taken. It would mean a docs appointment to get it changed. On the other hand, Prof Sikaris did look at a number or ratios for trig estimation and concluded that TC/HDL was best. I get both of those from a standard test.

Just try ringing up to ask for a full lipid panel. No need to see a GP. Your nurse can authorise it - or the receptionist can ask the GP on your behalf. My receptionist did that when I rang to ask for some vitamin and mineral tests. GP just signed the form without even seeing me and they were included.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I would too, only I don't get triglycerides by default when I have a test. They just post me a blood form for a standard test with instructions to get a blood sample taken. It would mean a docs appointment to get it changed. On the other hand, Prof Sikaris did look at a number or ratios for trig estimation and concluded that TC/HDL was best. I get both of those from a standard test.

Hi @BrianTheElder,

If you want to know your trigs, you can calculate them yourself if you have numbers for total chol, HDL and LDL. @Bluetit1802 already posted a link to the hughcalc website: http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php . If you enter your total, HDL and LDL, it will automatically calculate your trigs for you.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Just try ringing up to ask for a full lipid panel. No need to see a GP. Your nurse can authorise it - or the receptionist can ask the GP on your behalf. My receptionist did that when I rang to ask for some vitamin and mineral tests. GP just signed the form without even seeing me and they were included.
Thanks. Yes, I could do that, but since I already have the standard form at that point, it is just extra messing around.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I don't have any links handy, but those lipid figures are from my lab reports and on-line records. I am female, so male targets may be different, and labs do vary. I got the ratios off the internet ages ago. The Hugh Calc website may help.
http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

All lipid tests used to be fasting, then NICE decided this was causing issues within surgeries because of the need for early morning blood taking, in turn causing long waiting lists. So surgeries no longer ask us to fast, but like you, I always do anyway.
Thanks. Yes, I always fast anyway, and since I can get what I want from TC/HDL, I am happy. It's nice to see a trig number, but not worth a fuss as they are very variable.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Yes, I always fast anyway, and since I can get what I want from TC/HDL, I am happy. It's nice to see a trig number, but not worth a fuss as they are very variable.

To be honest, my trigs have barely varied in 4 years. The variation over the last 10 tests has been 0.3.

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not an expert, but I believe that LDL does vary depending on what you have eaten etc. I therefore think it is safer to use TC and HDL in the ratio because they vary less.
Not sure you understood my question. The graph you posted is Trigs vs sdLDL amount. Sikaris indeed said Trigs are variable, so does that imply sdLDL is similarly variable just using the graph since they are closely related?

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Not sure you understood my question. The graph you posted is Trigs vs sdLDL amount. Sikaris indeed said Trigs are variable, so does that imply sdLDL is similarly variable just using the graph since they are closely related?
Sorry, @pdmjoker , I don't know the answer - as I said, I'm not an expert. I know that sdLDL is a fraction of LDL and that it varies throughout the day. Quite how that translates into the variation in total LDL, I don't know.