Is it me or what?

Bill_Dundee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since T2 diagnosis in December, I have been using canderel as a sweetener in cups of tea without any issues at all.
Three days ago I ran out and switched to sweetex (as that was all the shop had), and since then I have been spiking like mad. Tonight I tested my BS two hours after my meal and it was 5.3, so happy days!
One mug of tea with 1 sweetex later, it's now up to 8.1.
Although marketed as being good for diabetes, has anyone else had any issues with using sweetex, or have I found a way of extracting sugar from the air I breathe...!
Suffice to say I will be avoiding it as of tomorrow to see if the spikes go away again.

Reactions: Prem51

No1DeadlyPoison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
It could have been the milk, but if you don't have milk in your tea then I am stumped. I'm T1 and am very naughty and use sugar. I used to use canderel but after a while I found it to be a bit plastic-like.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using Sweetex for 13 months in black coffee and as far as I know it doesn't spike my BG but I've never tested straight after a cuppa Bill. My guess is that your reading is an anomaly, possibly a duff test or maybe something you ate causing a late spike.
After going from two sugars, to one Sweetex I'm now thinking about ditching sweetener completely.

Dave