Is it ok to drink juices?

corbanwolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
22 years old. Diabetic for 3 years. Type 1.
Recently I was talking with mate who's also diabetic and she caught a bug. I recommended her to drink juices cuz they have loads of vitamin c and it could help her. She said she can't cuz she's diabetic. I am diabetic too but I try to drink one litre of orange juice every 2 or 3 days just to stay healthy. You know, fruits are healthy and stuff. Is it ok to drink juice while being diabetic. Of course injecting right amount of insulin before. I mean, is it ok to take insulin and then drink juice (which has sugar unfortunately) so sugar level stays the same. Is rule the same with sweets and stuff?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It’s probably better to eat whole fruit than just drink juice. Yes you can bolus for it but juice acts really quickly so it’s hard to match to the insulin. I’d save juice for a hypo treatment.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@corbanwolf . In your position I would ask myself 2 questions.
1. If I wasn’t type 1 would I follow this regime, fruit juice intake.
2. As a type 1 am I happy injecting the insulin required to keep me within my personal range whilst drinking fruit juice.
I don’t know your answers but for me personally I wouldn’t be averse to drinking fruit juice if I enjoyed it and felt it was beneficial to me.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pre diagnosis I used to have orange juice and lemonade when out for the evening etc however it has a lot of carbs and, being T2 diet controlled, means that I cannot counteract or correct any change in BS apart from waiting for it to go down. I still do have an occasional small glass though but haven’t managed to test its effects as it’s always when I am out.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi @corbanwolf, it's really down to choice, if you like fruit juice then you can drink it, personally I never drink juices, never been a lover of them, I prefer a piece of fruit. With type 1, no 2 days are the same, so it's a balancing act.

Reactions: therower

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I agree with @Robinredbreast, it is a matter of choice. I choose to use organic orange juice as one of my hypo treatments. I eat lots of vegetables, have a varied diet and have an Omega 3 tab every morning to stay healthy. You decide:)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fruit juice contains fructose which is not the best sugar if you have too much and can be stored as fat. Even T1s often have to have some control of carbs as increasing the Bolus can cause weight gain and this can be forgotten. So my advice would be to keep fruit juice down and have whole fruit instead.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the Desmond course I attended the dietitian asked who would drink the glass of orange juice she held up, almost everyone agreed they would. She then asked who would eat 5 large oranges in one go, nobody would, apparently they were equivalent. That is the problem with juice.

corbanwolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will just try to stick to fresh fruit. The thing in England is our fruits are **** and very not ripe ;/