Type 2 Is it ok to increase carb for a week ?

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I may not get much response for this but will ask :)

I am off to a weekend of drinking beer whole day next week. Three days in total to be honest.

I have been low carb and generally in keto for last 5 months. I realised last week that I can't handle beer as much as I used to be able to on carb diet.

My question is would it be too catastrophic if I up my carb intake for a week before I go to have some capacity to handle beer ? I am thinking of just whole wheat flour , may be some root vegetables like carrots etc and lentils etc.

Let me know if anyone have been low carb and then for a short time increased carb intake ?

Thanks

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a very carbby week last week , Saturday went out with some mates had a few drinks at the football, sunday full blown lunch with family including yorkshires and spuds. Monday large slice of home made crusty bread, with a potato based stew. Wednesday footie with a kebab on the way home, day out on thursday with some ex work mates , got very messy, lots of beer and curry. Far more carbs than I had eaten in a long, long time
My last HB1aC was 32 and my fasting BG even eating all that **** was never more than 5.3 all week, so no real damage done except I put on over 2 kilos in weight in one week ( even taking into account the amount and weight of beer). I'm now back on a strict no carb regime, I was shocked at the weight gain,
Personally I think as long as you are aware of the consequences a few days off will do no long term harm

Reactions: Prem51

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a very carbby week last week , Saturday went out with some mates had a few drinks at the football, sunday full blown lunch with family including yorkshires and spuds. Monday large slice of home made crusty bread, with a potato based stew. Wednesday footie with a kebab on the way home, day out on thursday with some ex work mates , got very messy, lots of beer and curry. Far more carbs than I had eaten in a long, long time
My last HB1aC was 32 and my fasting BG even eating all that **** was never more than 5.3 all week, so no real damage done except I put on over 2 kilos in weight in one week ( even taking into account the amount and weight of beer). I'm now back on a strict no carb regime, I was shocked at the weight gain,
Personally I think as long as you are aware of the consequences a few days off will do no long term harm
thanks. gives me hope. I am not near your levels for fasting as this morning i was 7.5 despite being low carb. Not sure what causes such rises. Only when I fast, I get to low 5's after 18 hours fast.

Anyway, I digress. So sounds like a sensible carb eating plan for a week might be neat little experiment and also give me some standing power in the beer halls of munich .

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks. gives me hope. I am not near your levels for fasting as this morning i was 7.5 despite being low carb. Not sure what causes such rises. Only when I fast, I get to low 5's after 18 hours fast.

Anyway, I digress. So sounds like a sensible carb eating plan for a week might be neat little experiment and also give me some standing power in the beer halls of munich .
I knew last week was going to be a bad week so I adjusted accordingly , ie very low carb breakfasts or none at all, no snacking and upped the exercise where possible, it seemed to work.
Since my last Hb1ac test in july I have cut down on the testing , only doing a fasting test and so far my highest morning BG has been 5.7, normally 4.8-5.3. , so I wasn't too worried about upping my carb intake last week. The weight gain was a shock mind

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Are you sure that it is the carbohydrates? Perhaps you are just eating less, and drinking less booze so you have less tolerance.
You could, as you say, eat more. This seems sensible. However how about eating more protein and fats?
I think lentils and stuff are better than highly processed carbs like breads and mashed potatoes.

I had one meal off the wagon - burger and chips in London - which doesn't seem to have done much harm but the danger is forming the habit again.

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure that it is the carbohydrates? Perhaps you are just eating less, and drinking less booze so you have less tolerance.
You could, as you say, eat more. This seems sensible. However how about eating more protein and fats?
I think lentils and stuff are better than highly processed carbs like breads and mashed potatoes.

I had one meal off the wagon - burger and chips in London - which doesn't seem to have done much harm but the danger is forming the habit again.
Could be but I think i get through 1500-1600 calories atleast and many days more, I also drink less beer but rum,whiskey etc I still drink.

I think i will eat more sensibly. I do need to put on some weight as I get asked everywhere I go as to what happened to me and why I am disappearing. I have the opposite problem of not weight to loose , rather need to gain atleast 5 kg

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I may not get much response for this but will ask :)

I am off to a weekend of drinking beer whole day next week. Three days in total to be honest.

I have been low carb and generally in keto for last 5 months. I realised last week that I can't handle beer as much as I used to be able to on carb diet.

My question is would it be too catastrophic if I up my carb intake for a week before I go to have some capacity to handle beer ? I am thinking of just whole wheat flour , may be some root vegetables like carrots etc and lentils etc.

Let me know if anyone have been low carb and then for a short time increased carb intake ?

Thanks
Can't you just pace yourself on the beer? I feel the effect of alcohol more since I have been on a fairly low carb diet. Unless you are judging a beer competition or something then you could reduce the quantity drunk but still keep up with the others on the "geniality".

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't you just pace yourself on the beer? I feel the effect of alcohol more since I have been on a fairly low carb diet. Unless you are judging a beer competition or something then you could reduce the quantity drunk but still keep up with the others on the "geniality".
I will definitely pace myself as I am there for 3 days.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Could be but I think i get through 1500-1600 calories atleast and many days more, I also drink less beer but rum,whiskey etc I still drink.

I think i will eat more sensibly. I do need to put on some weight as I get asked everywhere I go as to what happened to me and why I am disappearing. I have the opposite problem of not weight to loose , rather need to gain atleast 5 kg

Think about the weight you "need to put on".
Either you increase your exercise and protein intake and add muscle, or you increase your carbohydrate intake and put on fat.
People are used to seeing you at a certain weight and so comment. Many people (family and friends) say things to me like "there's almost nothing of you".
That is because I've been 13.5 to 14 stone for decades and that is how they remember me. I am now just over 12 stone and could still do with losing a bit of weight around my middle.

Try saying "what I really need is to put some more fat on around my gut" and see if that has the same ring to it. :wideyed:

Edit: or even "I really need to wrap a couple of kilos of fat around my liver and pancreas because that will make other people happy". :woot:

You may gather that I'm not a great fan of changing my body composition because other people are not comfortable with it. Fat or thin, do what is best for you!

Reactions: nsh2111 and Prem51

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Think about the weight you "need to put on".
Either you increase your exercise and protein intake and add muscle, or you increase your carbohydrate intake and put on fat.
People are used to seeing you at a certain weight and so comment. Many people (family and friends) say things to me like "there's almost nothing of you".
That is because I've been 13.5 to 14 stone for decades and that is how they remember me. I am now just over 12 stone and could still do with losing a bit of weight around my middle.

Try saying "what I really need is to put some more fat on around my gut" and see if that has the same ring to it. :wideyed:

Edit: or even "I really need to wrap a couple of kilos of fat around my liver and pancreas because that will make other people happy". :woot:

You may gather that I'm not a great fan of changing my body composition because other people are not comfortable with it. Fat or thin, do what is best for you!
Great answer :)

Yes it's just gets annoying trying to explain to all why I am loosing weight. I have resorted to saying I cut out sugar and bread.

As for muscle, yes that is my plan and I have been lifting weights. For some reason,may be genetic or wrong exercise form, can't put on much miscle despite protein shakes.

Anyway I don't think I will have carbs for a week. I had some in lunch and bs went from 6.7 to 10. So not good plan.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Great answer :)

Yes it's just gets annoying trying to explain to all why I am loosing weight. I have resorted to saying I cut out sugar and bread.

As for muscle, yes that is my plan and I have been lifting weights. For some reason,may be genetic or wrong exercise form, can't put on much miscle despite protein shakes.

Anyway I don't think I will have carbs for a week. I had some in lunch and bs went from 6.7 to 10. So not good plan.
Depending on age your muscle mass shrinks naturally.
Good tone in the muscles is more important than an increase in size. Efficient muscles (as I understand it) don't have a high insulin resistance so help with BG control.
Look at pro cyclists, distance runners, rock climbers.
Fit as a butcher's dog and very low body fat percentage.
You only need bulk if you are a sprinter.
Edit: Don't explain. Just smile a secret smile and look smug. :cool:

Reactions: nsh2111

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since my last Hb1ac test in july I have cut down on the testing , only doing a fasting test and so far my highest morning BG has been 5.7, normally 4.8-5.3. , so I wasn't too worried about upping my carb intake last week
Those are great fasting numbers, but after-meal spikes are actually more damaging. An A1c won't show spikes, just an average.