Is it safe to take creatine alongside metformin?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello there, I’m a type 2 diabetic. My diabetes is currently well controlled with metformin (500mg x2 twice daily). I am starting to weight train and build muscle and interested in taking creatine supplements because it seems to be really beneficial for not only building muscle but for women over 40. Are there any risks to taking metformin and creatine together- I can’t seem to find any info online about this? I’d like to make sure it’s safe before taking the supplement.

Many thanks!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello there, I’m a type 2 diabetic. My diabetes is currently well controlled with metformin (500mg x2 twice daily). I am starting to weight train and build muscle and interested in taking creatine supplements because it seems to be really beneficial for not only building muscle but for women over 40. Are there any risks to taking metformin and creatine together- I can’t seem to find any info online about this? I’d like to make sure it’s safe before taking the supplement.

Many thanks!
Hello and welcome to the forums, @planksofreas… We are not allowed to advise on medication.
This is something that would be better discussed with your GP or whoever it is providing your diabetes health care.

• Agree
Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with @Pipp, even though creatinine is a supplement that can be bought over the counter they can still have contraindications with other drugs (as with all over the counter medications & supplements) so it’s always best to check with your HCP

Reactions: Pipp

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Many thanks!
Since it's often kind of hard to get hold of a GP lately, your pharmacist could advise you too. Might be quicker.