Is listening to The Archers on the radio an age thing?

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I have one friend who listens to The Archers and she's in her early 60's and I'm 61 and listen to it. Do any younger folk listen to it? Or is it an oldies programme? Just interested :)

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Quite possibly! I was at an Archers meet up in February for the first time and out of 25 people 23 were above 60! Shock horror! lol The only time I was hooked was when Rob Tichener was in an episode! Pity he's fled to Canada, well reportedly!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have heard of The Archers but have never listened to it I'm afraid, it does good though. But, I have taken out tapes from the library of Around the horn and The Navy lark and laughed whilst doing the ironing, highly recommended. I am in my late 50's, I love the golden oldies, films too, a great thread :)

D

Deleted member 308541

We listened to the Archers when I was a kid back in the 50's early 60's, Mrs Dales Dairy as well if I remember rightly.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have one friend who listens to The Archers and she's in her early 60's and I'm 61 and listen to it. Do any younger folk listen to it? Or is it an oldies programme? Just interested :)

I'm 47, I know of the programme, never listened to it though. In my defence I have a hearing problem so I would have trouble following it unless I put earphones in. I must also say never appealed to me I prefer visual stuff

Reactions: berylc

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was named after one of the characters in The Dales .....

Last edited:
Reactions: berylc

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
We listened to the Archers when I was a kid back in the 50's early 60's, Mrs Dales Dairy as well if I remember rightly.

We had Mrs Dale's Diary on too at home, along with The Clitheroe Kid. Now that really is showing how old I am!

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't forget "Music While You Work", my Nan and Grandpa used to have the Archers on at tea time, I can well remember sitting eating my kippers to that, and my Nan busy doing the dusting or washing to Music While You Work............then there was Womans Hour and The Afternoon Play and the Childrens something (cant remember the name)...........happy memories.....:)

One of the childrens programs was Listen with Mother..........

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
We had Mrs Dale's Diary on too at home, along with The Clitheroe Kid. Now that really is showing how old I am!
Scary! I would bet my bottom dollar that most of the people here in General Chat are "past their sell by date"! lol

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Women's Hour used to be on on the afternoon. Now it's at 10 am.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I like listening to the radio, I then make up in my mind what the character looks like - then I see a photo of them and I'm totally wrong!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is that pie low carb @Jaylee ?

Very!

Been known to have the Archers on in the background whilst having "quality time" with the wife...
I'm "West Country" she's a little bit Suffolk..

So the more "rock & roll" lyrics go rumpty pumpty pumpty pummmmmmm. Rumpty dumty dido.. Rumpty pumpty rumpty pum.. Rumpty tiddly pie..
& so forth until we drown out the dialogue with something more "appropriate".... ;)

Yeah baby! You'll never think of the Archers the same again....

It just makes a nice change from some of the more "mysoginistic" R&R/AOR/metal orientated stuff we normally listen to... :cool:

Actually?!! Now you understand why I can't get my head round the Archers....

Lol, you did ask....?!

Last edited: