Is managing pain a personal or society issue?

suzanne_o

I'm from Nottingham, UK and I was hoping you could help me with your views.

Do you believe that long-term pain is a personal problem to be managed or treated, or a problem which society should manage or treat?

I am conducting some research for a pharmaceutical company, and your answers to this question will help to understand the needs of those who are dealing with long-term pain.

Thanks for your help.

Susi

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I have suffered with degenerative arthritis for several years, last year I was referred to physiotherapy and after a years worth of visits I can honestly say it was no use whatsoever, they finally sent me on a back pain rehab course which was also a total waste of time.

So I'm not sure I understand your question, how can society possibly help me or the 1000's of others who suffer back pain and associated neurological leg pains. Are you suggesting a social worker should pop round and see me and patronise me by saying things like "and how are you today?"

My back pain is very much a matter for me and my best friends Co Codamol, tramadol and Amitriptyline.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
suzanne
I'm not sure I understand your question
Obviously pain is an issue for the sufferer and ony if he/she is severely incapacitated, could it impinge on society.
If you are asking whether society should be more caring, I'm with that idea
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Suzanne,

As with others, not sure I understand your question. I suppose pain is a personal problem, as it is you who is experiencing it and has to deal with it. However, this can and does impact on family life, so it involves many others too. Always best to keep your gp informed of the severity of pain, so they can prescribe the appropriate drugs to ease the condition.

Nigel

Cas

don't get the question either.

Pain is a very individual thing and everyone has a different painthreshold, different coping mechanisms and attitudes to pain.
I certainly would have welcomed it if my GP or diabetes nurse had helped memore to cope with neuropathic pains and their management.
It would also be nice if society was made more aware and therefore more sensitive and make allowances towards longterm pain sufferers, other than that it is surely each individuals personal war, which has to be won battle by battle.

suzanne_o

Hi Sid, Hanadr, Noblehead and Cas,

Thanks for your responses and views - with regards to the question, well it's intentionally quite open. Many people think pain is something that an individual person suffers with, and it would be considered bad behaviour in some cultures to speak of it, or even treat it. For other people they feel that the side effects of painful medical conditions are something that should be supported by medical organisations like the NHS, and alievating suffering is not just about treating injuries and disease but also managing pain associated with them.

Cas - from your experience, did you find your medical professionals didn't offer too much support around pain management? What support or advice would you have benefited from?

Giblet

I have suffered for ten years with a progressively deteriorating arthritic back having had three disks removed. I have severe Sciatica on top of Diabetic Neuropathy. But of course you can't see my disability, it doesn't show like a club foot, an arthritic knee or blindness. I have "lived" with my pain for years, but as it progressed I became increasingly depressed and sought the advise of the GP to help. The phrase worse than useless springs to mind, all he wanted to do was throw more painkillers at me and was no help at all. I went away with Tramadol but after hallucinating I made another appointment to see the GP. My luck was in and I saw a Locum who advised me that there were plenty of things that could be tried. My saviour has been Amitriptyline, and this has changes my life. I think GPs need to understand that whilst chronic pain might not kill you, it can reduce your quality of life immensely and perhaps be more willing to either listen more or refer people to pain management clinics at the local hospital.