Is my blood sugar normal?

rtwin979

(Sorry for the long post)
4th
Wake up-4.0
Before eating 5.4 (2 hours after wake up)
Pizza C90, F38, P44
20mins 5.6
1 hour 5.6
2 hours after 4.0
6th
Before eatig-4.1
Rice C155, F2, P17
1 hour 7.1
2 hour 5.3
9th
Before eating 4.5
Chicken steaks C83, F82, P77
1 hour 4.2
2 hour 3.6
10th
Wake up 5.4
Rice/turkey sausages C160, F14, P55
Before eating 4.2
1 hour 4.5
12th
Wake up 5.2
Before eating 4.5
Chicken steaks C83, F82, P77
1 hour 4.8
2 hour 4.2
8 hours 4.2
13th
Before eating 4.7
Pizza C80, F38, P44
1 hour 5.2
2 hour 7.5
3 hour 3.5
19th
Sweets 106C, 1F, 0P
30 mins 8.9
1 hour 7.2
2 hour 6.0
3 hour 4.8
Symptoms:feel fatigued after eating (mainly carbs) and blood shot eyes.
side note:fasting blood sugar test came back normal, however symptoms only occur after eating.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well your levels look pretty normal the majority being in the 5's and do not point to diabetes. Because of your symptoms maybe a check up with your doctor would be a good idea

Reactions: rtwin979
D

Deleted Account

This website has more than the forum (and its very knowledgeable members): there is a great library of information about diabetes such as
Type 1 diabetes symptoms
Type 2 diabetes symptoms
Blood sugar level ranges

Whilst tiredness is a symptom for diabetes, I second (or third) the advice to visit your doctor as they are symptoms for other conditions too.

And, in the meantime, take a look around the website to understand about diabetes and know what questions to ask if you are (or not) diagnosed with diabetes.

rtwin979

Well your levels look pretty normal the majority being in the 5's and do not point to diabetes. Because of your symptoms maybe a check up with your doctor would be a good idea
Thanks for the reply, i already spoke to my doctor and he said it looked normal (just wanted a second opinion just in case). One thing that stood out to me was the 8.9 value and the fact that my blood sugar generally drops after eating. for example, dropping from 7.5-3.5 in less than an hour. Regardless im probably overthinking it.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply, i already spoke to my doctor and he said it looked normal (just wanted a second opinion just in case). One thing that stood out to me was the 8.9 value and the fact that my blood sugar generally drops after eating. for example, dropping from 7.5-3.5 in less than an hour. Regardless im probably overthinking it.
8.9 is nothing to worry about when the rest of your levels are in the normal range. Even non diabetics can have levels like that or even higher depending what their meal was like

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks very normal. Hope you'll find the cause of your problems!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thing that stood out to me was the 8.9 value and the fact that my blood sugar generally drops after eating

19th
Sweets 106C, 1F, 0P
30 mins 8.9

The 8.9 was after you ate 106g of carbs as sweets. That's like 3 Mars Bars (3 × 35g). Sweets are very rapidly absorbed so it's no surprise at all you ended up at 8.9 very quickly, any non-diabetic would. Diabetics would end up in the 20s or higher. i'm not a low carber but I'd struggle eating 3 Mars Bars in one go. You ended up back in normal range a few hours later, which indicates your pancreas is working just fine.

Rice C155, F2, P17
1 hour 7.1
2 hour 5.3

Rice with a carb count of 155g is like not one, but two packs of a typical Uncle Bens microwaveable rice pack. Most folks will eat one, not two, yet you're back in range pretty sharpish even after two.

Nothing about your numbers is saying diabetes to me on those figures, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of something along simpler lines: if someone who is not diabetic eats 3 Mars Bars, or two packs of Uncle Bens rice, no matter how well their pancreas is working, there-s always a good chance of it spitting out too much insulin and overshooting, so you end up too low. Pancreata in non-diabetics aren't perfect. It's quite common for non-diabetics to get a "sugar-rush" from excessive carb intake, followed by a low due to the insulin overshooting.

The answer for muggles isn't really to avoid carbs altogether, it's to moderate portion sizes.

Reactions: Prem51 and Listlad

kkully88

Hi all, I'm new to this I hope you can help me? I'm type 2 diabetic. I've had so much gone on with my health last 7 months. Found out last year I'm diabetic. Last few weeks my doctor's told me to mointir my sugar levels but yesterday at night it was 32.2 and tinihjt 30.2 obviously it's gone down to 23 now but it's always on a night. And I'm doing good with eating so why is it so high at night? I feel so thirsty I'm drinking water as that's what I drink now. I'm on 3 Metformin a day instead of one but I still don't understand.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi all, I'm new to this I hope you can help me? I'm type 2 diabetic. I've had so much gone on with my health last 7 months. Found out last year I'm diabetic. Last few weeks my doctor's told me to mointir my sugar levels but yesterday at night it was 32.2 and tinihjt 30.2 obviously it's gone down to 23 now but it's always on a night. And I'm doing good with eating so why is it so high at night? I feel so thirsty I'm drinking water as that's what I drink now. I'm on 3 Metformin a day instead of one but I still don't understand.
Hello @kkully,
Welcome to the best place for us diabetics. Those numbers are way too high, but if you start your own thread you're much more likely to get better help as more people will see your post. In your new post it's a good idea to let us know what you mean by 'I'm doing good with eating' and let us know what a typical day looks like food wise.
Your thirst is caused by very high levels of blood glucose. It's very important that you get these levels down. There are so many helpful people in here who'll help you do just that.

Reactions: Prem51

kkully88

@briped thank you for getting back to me. Sorry I'm new to all this. How do I start my own thread? I've just done my sugar levels again before bed it's 23.5 still high. I'm back to doing my slimming world diet I did that few years ago lost 4 stone so starting again but it's obviously the fats, sugar and carbs that probably is way high.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@briped thank you for getting back to me. Sorry I'm new to all this. How do I start my own thread? I've just done my sugar levels again before bed it's 23.5 still high. I'm back to doing my slimming world diet I did that few years ago lost 4 stone so starting again but it's obviously the fats, sugar and carbs that probably is way high.
Just stumbled across this... A Slimming World diet is high in carbs and thus unsuitable for T2's. That, in one go, explains your high numbers. Practically all carbs turn to glucose once ingested, and you have a metabolic disorder due to which you can't use that glucose as fuel. So it just sticks around. Slimming World isn't doing you any favours. Try low carb, high fat. It'll get your bloodsugars down, as well as your weight. (I lost 50 pounds eating bacon twice a day. Cholesterol's beautiful too, I haven't been on statins in years.)

Reactions: Prem51

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@kkully88 ,
If you click on this link to the subforum 'newly diagnosed' https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/newly-diagnosed.39/, you'll see a green button in the top right hand corner saying 'post new thread'. Click on that and start typing. It's vital that you get help with what you eat and all other questions you may have. I was told to get in touch with my diabetes team if my levels ever went above 18mmol/l.
Losing weight is not the only solution to your problem. As @JoKalsbeek mentioned the how is even more important, so please do post your own thread, and I'll see you there :) Oh, and while waiting for people to write their replies, head over to dietdoctor.com and study recipes and advice.

Edited to add, does your GP know your numbers are this high? He/she should, really. I'd get on the phone immediately. Also do you wash your hands before testing? Any tiny bit of food left on your finger will have effect on your readings.

Last edited: