Anonymous Question Is my flatulence to do with diabetes?

N

NicolaB70

I will admit to this as you can't see my red face. Not too long ago my 11 yr old son was playing on his xbox talking to all his friends via the headset, which is in my dining room. As I walked through to check dinner, I did a rather long loud fart totally forgetting he was in there. All I got was "muuummmm you farted" and all I could hear were all his friends giggling for the next 5 minutes. Embarrassing or what!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 12 people

JAX956

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Anonymous question submitted:

I have had, diarrhea and rotten egg type burps for months now, is this anything too do with diabetes please?

To submit a question, please go to http://www.diabetes.co.uk/ask-an-anonymous-question.html
Hiya! Is it possible you have irritable bowel? I have had both type 2 diabetes and IBS for many years. I have taken metformin in the past but not for last 6 months. I have had eggy burps on and off for the last year. The internet offered a parasite which lives in still water in mostly warmer climes. I have never got to the bottom of the eggy burps, my GP just pushed it aside for more important things when I brought it up. S I would be interested in any solutions you find, but just want you to know it may not be metformin as I no longer take it. Hope you find an answer.

JAX956

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya! Is it possible you have irritable bowel? I have had both type 2 diabetes and IBS for many years. I have taken metformin in the past but not for last 6 months. I have had eggy burps on and off for the last year. The internet offered a parasite which lives in still water in mostly warmer climes. I have never got to the bottom of the eggy burps, my GP just pushed it aside for more important things when I brought it up. So I would be interested in any solutions you find, but just want you to know it may not be metformin as I no longer take it. Hope you find an answer.
Also forgot to say some days I have wind that is so severe I cannot have people around. The last time was a few days ago, I was farting every 3 to 5 minutes and each passage of wind could take up to 30 seconds. It is no joking matter as it is totally debilitating and uncomfortable.

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
Just turned this thread up and haven't had such a good laugh on this subject in years. Thanks guys !!!

Reactions: 4 people

ste77isk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a few things, but have a good sense of humour.
Hi
I was diagnosed in July 2013 with type 2 Diabetes, I'm not on any medication and don't monitor my bloods.

I often read about having depression, well I can safely say after reading through these messages, I am wiping my eyes and still laughing, many thanks I really needed this and feeling loads better now. Keep up the good work (paaaarrrppp) : )

Reactions: 2 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the foods you are eating maybe the the cause, probably your favourite meal. you may have to carry out a little change of diet until the the problem is solved.
Also do not be shy to seek advice from your GP.

Best of luck:rolleyes:

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Also forgot to say some days I have wind that is so severe I cannot have people around. The last time was a few days ago, I was farting every 3 to 5 minutes and each passage of wind could take up to 30 seconds. It is no joking matter as it is totally debilitating and uncomfortable.
hi, I have type 1 diabetes and had been on metformin for a long time but not any more. I can't say I remember noticing any difference but then I have lived with IBS for years now too.
recently with a change of dr and a chance remark I got tested and found out I need to take creon as I am missing the enzyme the pancreas produces to help you absorb your food properly.
I have only been on it for 2 weeks and can't give an opinion on it at the moment because I also adjusted my diet,. reduced carbs, fat, sugar and increased salads, veg and fruit. I am trying to lose weight or the umpeeeenth time!!!!...it is never successful.
I started slimming world but felt dreadful.
I still don't feel great tummy wise and it is embarrassing. luckily im not around any people!!
but my bloods are very hard to control and fluctuate soooo much.
I am on thyroxine and also have fibmyalgia/CFS/ME and so I am trying to slowly build my stamina and strength

I would like to know more about the creon and diabetes but can't find much info on it or anyone else who takes it.
my gp doesn't know much about it either other than what she read in her text book when I as with her.
she wonders if as my body may have adjusted to my tummy as it is for years that the adjustment to creon and increased salad etc may take a while to settle.
I do dip in and out of salads but strangely I find salad on its own spikes my sugars!!!....even though I have taken insulin even though there may not be carbs or very low carbs so I have adjusted that too now. sweet corn to build up the carb.

still achy and bloaty and tired and smelly and fed up

but loving that toilet humour......always makes me giggle! the inner child :)

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Do oyur turds float or look greasy? Could be a sign of a pancreatic insufficiencey. I have to take enzyme replacements with food to stop this.

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Do oyur turds float or look greasy? Could be a sign of a pancreatic insufficiencey. I have to take enzyme replacements with food to stop this.
no to the floating.....can't really see for the greasy aspect as not floating :)....what a conversation to be having :joyful::p

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Y
no to the floating.....can't really see for the greasy aspect as not floating :)....what a conversation to be having :joyful::p
you know, the floaters that usually take 2-3 flushes to get rid of.

hrh1947

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Metformin caused me terrible diarrhoea and wind - now on Sitagliptin which is better. My GP recommended avoiding wheat bread and suggested Rye bread or Ryvita. I seem to be getting on well with Rye bread - most major supermarkets have it in their instore bakery section.

martin2410

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had eggy burps for years then went to the doctor who kindly requested a gastroscopy (camera down the gullet). That found the problem-an ulcerated hiatus hernia. They put me on tablets for it (Nexium 20mg) and it controlled it. This was a few years before being diagnosed type 2 diabetic. Last year when I was diagnosed I was put onto metformin and just recently my flatulance has got quite bad. Believe me, its bad when you cant stand the smell yourself (lol). So knowing that Metformin could be the problem is a godsend to know. Thanks for raising this embarrasing question.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hubby-to-be is the most prolific farter I have ever met. Huge, enormous, gut-ripping, noxious fumes that could knock an elephant out cold. He thinks it's hilarious... but wasn't quite so amused when I introduced him to the lovely sugar-free thornton's chocolate. He wasn't so smug that day, when he wasn't quite sure whether it was entirely safe to break wind.
Am now crying with laughter! image.jpg

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Things or phrases you MUST state when someone accidentally farts, being politically correct an all / avoiding embarrassing silence;

A) More tea Vicar?

B) Bum like a Japanese flag..

C) Don't rip it, I'll take the yard

D) Speak up brown..

E) New balls please..

F) Have you eaten a tramp?
Stop making me laugh! Found this - it seems appropriate! image.jpg

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
On another occasion when I was living in NewZealand, a colleague and I were delivering a computer to a client in an office building. We took the lift up to the floor we needed to get to and my colleague let one off as soon as the doors closed. It was evil. I immediately came down with turrets. I stood right up to the doors with my nose where the sliding doors met and held my breath until the doors opened. Coincidently, another colleague was waiting for the lift on the other side of the doors on the floor that we were getting off. He must have thought it strange to see me fall out of the lift as soon as the doors opened. The farter rolled the computer out of the lift and we were both splitting our sides but trying not to show it. A quick "high there" to the guy that got into the lift, the door closed behind him and we could hear the doppler sound effect coming out of the lift shaft...."Y o u @*%k*%g B @ s t @ r d s"
:hilarious:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Best giggle I've had in ages.....
Felt it only fair to share...... Stories!!!!!!!!
One of the funniest stories I've ever heard was told to me about a friend of a friend and it goes like this.....
Petter and Ulla were going to a party and they had agreed to take dessert. They stopped at a patisserie and Ulla went inside to get a cake. No sooner had she got her ticket and was standing in the queue, then she had an overwhelming urge to fart. Unfortunately the queue was long and as the minutes ticked by, sweat began to pour down her face with the effort of holding it in as she shuffled slowly with both buttocks clenched. Finally it was her turn, so she pointed to the first available cake, grabbed the box, threw the money at the bemused assistant and shuffled out if the shop as quickly as possible. She wrenched the car door open, slung the cake onto the back seat, got into the car, sank down in the passenger seat, closed her eyes and let rip with the longest fart in history - only to open her eyes and look into the face of a complete stranger!!!!!!! Horrified, she left without speaking. When her partner asked where the cake was, she just yelled at him to drive the **** car.
What I find especially funny, was the thought of the guy who now had the free cake describing how he got the cake to his wife! Well there's good news and there's bad news........

Reactions: 4 people

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
Wow, this fart thread is still going strong.
Well, after 3 months of high fat low carb, I can report that I can now put significantly more pressure behind my farts and have absolute confidence that my skids will be mark free.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only just found this thread, and it makes for hilarious bed-time reading.

i never heard my missus trump or my eldest daughter, me and my youngest are like a brass band, but she also takes metfartin

the first time i met the wifes family we were sitting in the garden listening to the birds sing having a very civilised quiet chat when there dog jumps up at me whilst i was perched on this little wall, well the shock of it made me let the loudest fart i ever did out, what was worse was no one laughed, or even acknowledged it but youd have had to have been stone deaf not to hear it, it was awful lol

Well of course they all knew it was the dog - not you! :doctor:

I can relate to the doggy disgust stories: I had a dog once that could fart for England; the poor little dog was elderly ,quite ill, and on a fair bit of medication. It used to offend him greatly and he'd shoot across the room to get away from his efforts. I called him my methane propelled dog.

Robbity