Is My GP Serious!?

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Diabetes!! People who dont understand. Being overweight and hungry.
I think Ive just been part of a comedy sketch.
As far as Im aware once you are Diabetic you cant then be non-Diabetic, but pleae correct me if Im wrong.
Last night I posted about my tingling face and my BM being 9.1 and me being up feeling ill till 3 this morn.
Well Ive just been to my pre booked appointment with my GP, told him about the problems Ive been having and that I stopped the Metformin, he asked if I had lost weight then weighed me, and said I might have lost enough to not be Diabetic anymore (funny when Im still symptomatic) and he wants me to have another fasting blood test, not take any Metformin, and see him in a week.
Does he know what hes taking about, could this be possible? He said I was borderline. The nurse said to me you either are or you arent.
Confuzelled Big Time now.
Tammy

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
If you were caught really early and most of your high sugars are being caused by insulin resistance rather than a loss of insulin producing beta cells then yes you can get back to a pre diabetic state by losing weight and getting rid of the resistance as then your levels will fall as the insulin you produce is able to work again. That description is what most people would call PRE - diabetic.

A full T2 diabetic usually has some damage to their insulin production capability which is not repairable and depending on how long your sugars ran high prior to diagnosis determines how much damage was done. Again you can make yourself less glucose intolerant by losing weight and therefore less insulin resistant as the smaller than normal amount of insulin you produce then gets a chance at working.

If you have been restricting your carbs that may well be confusing your gp as to be honest a lot have yet to learn that doing so can help levels to the great extent it does. It's worth mentioning to the doc you are doing that even if it risks the "eat more carbs" response.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Ive been more cutting down on carbs rather than restricting, and surely a 9.1 2 hours after a few bits of cheese is high even for a Diabetic.
So even if it has been caught early enough, I still have to adopt a diabetic lifestyle to stop it changing back right?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Tinytoez said:
Ive been more cutting down on carbs rather than restricting, and surely a 9.1 2 hours after a few bits of cheese is high even for a Diabetic.
So even if it has been caught early enough, I still have to adopt a diabetic lifestyle to stop it changing back right?

What was it before you ate the cheese Tinytoez? Do you test your blood regularly or did you just do it because your face was tingling? In my (very limited) personal experience numbness and tingling usually occur after your BG has been high for an extended period and not when you are returning to a fasting level in between meals. What is the lowest your BG drops to?

I don't have a medical degree, but with a 2 hour post-prandial reading of 9.1 mmol/l, I'd be my mortgage that you are still a diabetic. What a strange thing for your GP to have said!

Tinytoez

Dislikes
The nurse told me that testing 4 times a day was too much and wouldnt give me any more strips, they usual story yadda yadda etc etc, so I had been doing it on waking, before bed and if I felt odd etc.
So I took it an hour after my dinner when I started with my belly symptoms and was 7.6 at my BFs house, then took it just before I left at 21.19 and it was 8.3, got home felt hungry (yes I should have remembered my BG and NOT had the snack) and when I started feeling tingly at 23.42 I tested and it was 9.1, at 12.56 and 1.54 it was 8.3 and at 2.50 it was 7.2 and this morning it was 6.4 at 8.22.
If I had a mortgage I would bet it too lol
This is why Im not convinced he has a clue what hes on about.
My 30 day avg is 6.2, my 14 day is 6.0 and my 7 day is 6.8.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tinytoez said:

9.1 two hours after cheese is high, not under anyone's definition of safety. Tell the gp you'll quite happily fail another GTT for him.

Yes you should adopt a diabetic and healthy lifestyle, try and get your levels down so you keep safe after two hours (8 ish)
and lose weight if you need to. If you are happy with the level of carbs you are on and don't want to restrict further but do want to keep in safety you may need to ask the doc for stronger meds to allow you to maintain that carb intake. Alternatively try some different foods out or cut down carbs just a bit more. If you restrict your carbs now and lose weight then after some time (months) you may find you can up them a bit as you will be less insulin resistant.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Tinytoez said:
My 30 day avg is 6.2, my 14 day is 6.0 and my 7 day is 6.8.

Hmmmm. So your numbers are quite good then. Even a "one-off" spike of 9mmol/l shouldn't be enough to make you go tingly.

Maybe it's the other way around, whatever is causing the BG spike is also causing the tingling. Maybe you have a virus or something...

Tinytoez

Dislikes
This is definatly not the level I am sticking at, I had a bit of a breakdown in front of my nurse when it all got too much for me, and she told me to do it gradually, so I have been, I was never planning to stay at this level, she told me there was no rush hmmmm!!!
My lowest since monitoring was 3.5 and my highest 12.9.
Ive run out of Freestyle strips so it looks like I will get my SD out.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes that's the other consideration. My wife gets the symptoms you describe. It's a bit of a mystery but we put it down to dust or pollen. I do all the hoovering as if she does it she gets the tingly face thing and it can then hang around for hours.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
This was 11.30 at night, I was lying in my room, theres nothing in here to react to. Could it be me being dehydrated at all?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well as boro says with the averages you get a one off spike to 9.1 doesn't sound like it would have much effect and if you don't think its allergy related or that you're ill then if you are really worried about it you need to talk to your doc some more. Take it you don't have a nut allergy and some nuts got by you or anything like that?

Tinytoez

Dislikes
I have no nut allergy, as far as Im aware I dont have hayfever (Ive got 3 Daffodils in a little vase), I took my Simvastatin about an hour before, I wasnt overly tired, my nose does run for no reason at all, but its usually once Ive eaten something. The only known allergies I have are Flucloxacillin antibiotics, but I havent had them in years, and pineapple but havent eaten any of that and it makes my lips sore tingly not tingly like that.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
I have had bug symptoms last week and on Saturday, but they were Metformin related and I stopped that on Friday.

A

Anonymous

not sure your GP is right there :? You can certainly get good control of your blood sugars... but to date I don't think there is a cure for diabetes as such. With your tingling.. was that your face? I had a weird thing happen to me last year where half my face went numb and stayed like that for about 4 days.... I even went to ER as I had a temperature too and they said I had high white blood count which indicated infection... so I was placed on antibiotics. But it was like some weird virus I had I think.... then again could've been my sinuses as that's happened before too.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Ive just done a test and Im 10.7!!!
Ive had a bowl of Bran Flakes at 9.30 and nothing since, these are my highest results in ages.
Im going to wash my finger and have another go.
This is wierd,

Tinytoez

Dislikes
It started with my face then went to my arms hands and legs then stomach, it lasted 3 hours then went. I know have a headache.

A

Anonymous

Tinytoez said:
I have had bug symptoms last week and on Saturday, but they were Metformin related and I stopped that on Friday.

I was prescribed Metformin a couple of years ago and had some weird and unpleasant side effects, so my GP took me off them. I know of others who have as well. maybe that's the problem rather than BG count. When my BG has been high I have not been aware of any symptoms such as tingling etc. so perhaps it's due to the drug?

Tinytoez

Dislikes
I havent taken any since Friday and Ive been told not to by my GP so it cant be the drug now, as there shouldnt be any in my systemn

Magill

Dislikes
Some of the "candidates" in the Apprentice - I would never have employed some of the nasty individuals that pop up as potential employees in this show. If they are the best on offer then heaven help us!
Bran Flakes & Milk - the carb and sugar content is just too much for me in one go. What size was your portion and what type of milk did you have? I think you may be surprised at just how many carbs and how much sugar is in breakfast cereals.

You need to find out what works for you. For me it is Breakfast, lunch and dinner and a couple of snacks. I tend to keep my carb count for the day at 80g or less as after a lot of testing that was what I found my body could tolerate. The small and often eating also tends to keep my BG pretty much level. You could be more or less than this - everyone is different and reacts in different ways.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
40 is Grams and 1% milk for breakfast.
The doc hasnt given me any more sticks to test with, and hes decided I might not even be Diabetic.
Ha Ha Ha xxx