Is Skyr yogurt low carb?

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
See it has a lot of sugar in (the strawberry one) but it's high protein. Any insight?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a look on the tub, it will tell you.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It may be high protein but it's not low carb - the strawberry one has over 11g (almost all of which is sugar) for 150g pot, the natural has 6g carb (again all sugar)

For me I would avoid the flavoured yogurts they are all full of sugar, I would maybe have half of the natural one with a few berries and a bit of sweetener if you like it sweeter.

But the best way to know if you can tolerate it is to eat it and test your blood sugars to see if and how much they are raised by, we are all different and react differently to different foods

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I add desiccated coconut to plain full fat yogurt - I get the Greek style at Lidl - though I think that the Sainsbury coconut is better. I leave the mix for a little while for the coconut to soften.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Isey Vanilla Skyr is 3.7g per 100g so not bad but to me it has an odd taste which I don't like. I tend to go for the Waitrose full fat Greek natural strained yoghurt which is also 3.7g of cabs per 100 but tastes better I think.