Is the 1 hour (after eating) BG level important ?

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Well I'm totally confused now. I thought I was doing so well keeping my BS controlled but now I see I'm not. I took my BS an hour after eating and it was 9.5 that's hight for me. So what is the result you worry about one or two hour test? This is the first I have heard of the one hour test. I'm a worrier so got more to worry about now. I have read a lot of things about diabetes and never seen this.
That's how I felt when I realised about this... but as it is a high sugar spike I wondered if it might be harmful in some way. It's a well known fact of Diabetes that PROLONGED high sugar levels cause damage, so I wasn't worried about this 1 hour point. I decided to research my belief and this is what I discovered (outlined above) BUT, I wouldn't worry too much about it, as anyone with an intolerance to sugar will get the same results.

In my case, it's the Bad carbs, or the fast-acting carbs that cause a 1hour high, which I believe, tells me to eat the better Good carbs for my health.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, in simple terms,so that even I can understand it :), what is the target 1 hour glucose level we should be aiming for.

Just tested 1hour after breakfast and I am 151 mg/dl (8,2 mmol/l in your currency). Is this good or bad?

Pavlos

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
There's a fine line between being careful with your BG levels and becoming obsessive. The 1 hr test is an indication of how much a certain food can spike you but if it is back to acceptable levels within 2 hrs I wouldn't start getting overly worried with it. Some have a hard enough time as it is and many have to self fund their strips. Try to eat lower GI foods if you can and lower carbs to an acceptable level and this should help.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
So, in simple terms,so that even I can understand it :), what is the target 1 hour glucose level we should be aiming for.

Just tested 1hour after breakfast and I am 151 mg/dl (8,2 mmol/l in your currency). Is this good or bad?
According to Blood Sugar 101 http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php, in normal non-diabetic people it should be no more than 6.6 (120) at one hour and 5.5 (100) at two hours. According to the same website, levels over 7.8 put you at risk of organ damage. So your 8.2 isn't brilliant.

I worry if mine exceeds 5.6 at one hour, but I freely admit that I am obsessive about controlling BS and determined to maintain normal levels. Blood sugar control seems to me a better object for my inner obsessive-compulsive than, say, hand-washing, counting cracks in the pavement or worrying whether the gas is turned off.

Kate

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just tested my two hour level and it is 116mg/dl

So so far today I had the following:
-Fasting level before breakfast 98mg (5,4mmol)
-Breakfast was one slice of multigrain whole meal toast and a slice of Edam cheese and a cup of tea with semi skimmed milk for a rough total of 22g of carbs according to myfitnesspal.
- one hour after breakfast my count was 151 mg/dl or 8,3 mmol. I would not normally test this.
- two hours after breakfast 116mg/dl or 6,3mmol. I would normally be happy with this as under 120mg

Pavlos

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just tested my two hour level and it is 116mg/dl

So so far today I had the following:
-Fasting level before breakfast 98mg (5,4mmol)
-Breakfast was one slice of multigrain whole meal toast and a slice of Edam cheese and a cup of tea with semi skimmed milk for a rough total of 22g of carbs according to myfitnesspal.
- one hour after breakfast my count was 151 mg/dl or 8,3 mmol. I would not normally test this.
- two hours after breakfast 116mg/dl or 6,3mmol. I would normally be happy with this as under 120mg

Personally I think those figures are not too bad. Although at the one hour point 7.8 would be better healthwise. I'm worried about my 1 hour reading because it is sometimes 10 and 11.
I really have to cut out carbs. But I fancy a wholemeal toast with cheese for breaky. I will see how my meter reads when I try them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Quote from the flyer @ http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/flyer-mmol.pdf

The closer we get to non-diabetic readings, the greater chance we have of avoiding horrible complications.
Here are what doctors currently believe to be non-diabetic readings:

Fasting blood sugar under 5.5 mmol/L
One hour after meals under 7.8 mmol/L
Two hours after meals under 6.6 mmol/L

If you can do better than this, go for it.
At a minimum, The American College of Clinical Endocrinologists
recommends that people with diabetes keep their blood sugars under 7.8 mmol/L two hours after eating.

Recent studies have indicated that your "after meal" numbers are those most indicative of future complications,
especially heart problems.

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
According to Blood Sugar 101 http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php, in normal non-diabetic people it should be no more than 6.6 (120) at one hour and 5.5 (100) at two hours. According to the same website, levels over 7.8 put you at risk of organ damage. So your 8.2 isn't brilliant.

I worry if mine exceeds 5.6 at one hour, but I freely admit that I am obsessive about controlling BS and determined to maintain normal levels. Blood sugar control seems to me a better object for my inner obsessive-compulsive than, say, hand-washing, counting cracks in the pavement or worrying whether the gas is turned off.

Kate

As we've had on the previous posts, testing none diabetics can give 7's, or even 8's after an hour, so while you aim at 5.6 after one hour, it is lower than normal can be.
7.8 after an hour isn't an unreasonable target though, but even then the website isn't clear on how a short spike at 7.8, then immediately dropping, is harmful.
The Hba1c is a good indicator as well.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
- two hours after breakfast 116mg/dl or 6,3mmol.
Very similar to my readings when I had wholemeal bread for breakfast, and nothing to worry about according to current medical advice.

I probably shouldn't have got involved in this discussion. I'm so obsessed with spikes you could mistake me for a vampire. I've even been through phases of checking 15 minutes after eating and ditched any food that raised my BG over 7.8.

Kate

Lilliepop

Very similar to my readings when I had wholemeal bread for breakfast, and nothing to worry about according to current medical advice.

I probably shouldn't have got involved in this discussion. I'm so obsessed with spikes you could mistake me for a vampire. I've even been through phases of checking 15 minutes after eating and ditched any food that raised my BG over 7.8.

Kate
I'm a bit obsessed with taking my BS even though the Dr told me not too. I'm pre diabetic so now I'm even more worried. I have taken it one hour after my diner. I wasn't going to do it but found myself wondering into the bathroom. Was shocked it was 10.2 that is really high isn't it? That is high for a diabetic. Let alone for pre diabetic. Going to take it again in fifteen mins.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I suppose there is a varying belief with regard to the high spike of BG after one hour of eating. But since a lot of the organ damage for Diabetics is done during high BG levels soem believe that it is wise to keep them on an even keel. That makes sense to me. Since Doctors only test before food and then 2 hours afterward they can miss some who are at risk of high BG levels. If it can be proved that the one hour spikes are not in the least bit harmful then fine! until then I want to keep mine within the recommended levels.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
An interesting read. I think I need to add a bit of vinegar into the diet now.
Vinegar? hehe I haven't read that far yet . lol
My browser's tabs are at maximum lol. I'm bookmarking pages like a nut!
:wacky:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Vinegar? hehe I haven't read that far yet . lol
My browser's tabs are at maximum lol. I'm bookmarking pages like a nut!
:wacky:

Page 6, rhs, it mentions acidity. Which is doubly effective for me as I used to live on anti acids, so probably creating higher spikes in myself. I don't take then anymore, and would get another added benefit from the vinegar apparently.