IS THE FLU JAB WORTH HAVING?

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Worst time to come up against pensioners is on pension day and when whiskys on sale :lol: Joke graham....promise :?

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Your cards are marked young lady :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
BTW where is the Whisky sale :?:

gillyh said:
Worst time to come up against pensioners is on pension day and when whiskys on sale :lol: Joke graham....promise :?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
sugarless sue said:
Trust me...you get worse injuries from zimmer frames!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :(
Watch out for the elderly in their scooters - they can be very dangerous - especially to other pensioners with walking sticks.

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
wiflib said:
*Anecdote warning*

I've had 'flu twice in my life, in my childhood. Never had it since despite working in hospitals all my working life and never having a 'flu jab.

It would take a lot to convince me that they know what strain of virus is going to be rampant this winter and have produced the correct anti-viral!

If I do come down with 'flu, it will have little to do with the fact I chose not to have that jab!

wiflib

Well said... they have to guess what strain of virus comes in as there are many.. and they don't always get it right meaning they could give you the flu jab and then another strain of the virus could come in and you would get it anyway. I had it once a few years back and I got the flu :!: :evil: I never had it before that and I don't have it now. Since then I've never bothered, and won't be this year and I've done further research and really wouldnt' recommend it, also I believe it further weakens the immune system. However I am not one to tell you to take it or not.. weigh up the pros and cons in the link below plus see advice about what you can do to prevent it, even with a depressed immune system:-

http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/natur ... 00640.html

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
As well as all the **** they inject you with, you might also want to look up the dangers of they type of mercury they use... and then I think you would be like me.... fighting off the flu by yourself but maybe not... as I said it's your free will.

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
Had mine today and a pnemonia one to boot, wasn't expecting that. Feel OK at the moment though left arm bit sore (pneumonia side!) :D
CJ

vinylvoyages

I am certain that the flu jab IS worthwhile,as I was always getting flu most every year until I had the first of many flu jabs over the last 5- 6 years.The last time I had the flu was my first year on Insulin,both Levemir & Novorapid.I have the jab every year,and hardly ever get a vold,so I believe it works for the majority,I am sure it doesn't work for some.What's ever 100%?.Best wishes,
Murray
johnoswaldallan said:
Hi All

It’s the time of the year when most GP’s surgeries seem to be promoting the “Flu Jab” Over the years I have become quite cynical and I was wondering if the “Flu Jabs” are in anyway beneficial or is it the pharmaceutical companies who are the main benefactors. It would appear that last year’s flu campaign cost £115 million, a nice little earner for the drug companies. There seems to be a growing number of medics who feel that the flu vaccine does no good. One of them being Dr Thomas Jefferson of the Cochrane Vaccines Field who seems to think, “ that the kind of benefits being ascribed to flu vaccine are simply not justified” I wonder, could he be right?

Regards

John

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
That pneumonia jab js a "one Off" you won't need to repeat it every year.

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
Hi Hanadr

Thank goodness for that as it hurt having it done and arm been sore all day today!!

CJ

lionrampant

cjohnson said:
Had mine today and a pnemonia one to boot, wasn't expecting that. Feel OK at the moment though left arm bit sore (pneumonia side!) :D
CJ

Uhh... mate, you're supposed to wait until 2 weeks after your flu jab to get the pneumonia one. :shock:

JamesA

My doctors often can't get the flu jab for weeks because companies like Boots buy up the supply.
Also theres research that says the jab should be limited to prevent resistant strains emerging

Please sign my petition:
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FluJabAtRisk2/

I've not had a cold the last 3 winters which could be down to the flu jab, or could be down to eating fruit and veg and mainting good hygine such as actually washing hands before eating lunch at work which few people do these days.
I tend to think the jab is having some effect.

coopergang

from when first diagnosed, i had flu jab, our doctor even allowed my husband to have it too (he wasnt diabetic or asthmatic), in case he got the flu really bad and passed it onto me, then one year hubby had a bad reaction and i said that i would carry on having mine until there was a reason not to,anyway 3 years ago had the jab and had a very bad rection to it so no more for me. i read somwhere that these jabs only cover certain strains of the flu and its not possible to pre empt which ones are going to be around.

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I had the pneumonia one last year. Had flu jab last month and have felt cold ever since. Shaky at times too. Hoping it's my body fighting whatever they injected me with :? :?:

JonTheBlue

On my then GPs advice I had the jab the first year it was available. Made me feel like **** for about a month so I've not been near the jab eversince. Lucky me I've had no bouts of flu in that time either. My personal feeling is that getting flu is a lottery and I can find little credible evidence to suggest that the jab will prevent me getting flu in its many and varied forms. So in the end I think that it's a personal choice to have it or not. The doctors will always reccomend it, for they're own reasons, and we as users of the NHS can take or leave the advice.

Jenny

Best thing since sliced bread. Mother in law died suddenly the day after having it. I refuse, quoting the fact that she is no longer with us and that I really don't really want to join her sooner than necessary. They don't object. In fact 'Silence' is the response.

Rach79

Dislikes
Jenny said:
Best thing since sliced bread. Mother in law died suddenly the day after having it. I refuse, quoting the fact that she is no longer with us and that I really don't really want to join her sooner than necessary. They don't object. In fact 'Silence' is the response.

Sorry about your mother in law :(

The thing is - it's everyone's special preference. Diabetics have weakened immune systems - that is a fact. So medical guidelines state, it is best that we, along with asthmatics etc. etc. have it - so that they can try to do the best they can to reduce flu for everyone. It is a bit of a lottery though - because they have to guess the strain of flu and then jab you with what they think is correct. I know the one time I got flu was when I actually received the flu jab so I'm a bit sceptical. Maybe my immune system is so weak that it can't actually fight the flu jab too - I'm not sure :?