Is the forum always supportive or can it sometimes seem a little oppressive?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So sorry if you feel you are being blamed. If you read my last paragraph you will see that is not true. My dear Dad was diagnosed as Type 2 in his sixties, my grandfather was Type 2, my aunt was Type 2, my...... Need I go on? There are lots of Type 2s who are beloved my me!

What I am saying is that lots of Type 2s post their own experiences in answer to queries by Type 1s on the Type 1 board, and in my opinion those replies are irrelevant. That is a criticism, yes. I find I have to read through a lot of "white noise" to get what I need.

An example is the sticky on the Type 1 board about HbA1c. There is another, I believe, on the Type 2 board, but there are lots of people with Type 2 posting their numbers without stating that they are Type 2. Some of them, helpfully, say they are Type 2, but either way, I went there looking for Type 1 results to compare with my peers, and the Type 2 "white noise" is not helpful to me. Is that a criticism? Yes.

Obviously, the boards are open and such things are not deleted by the mods. But as a Type 1, the "white noise" is a deterrent. Plus, I don't expect there to be as many postings by Type 1s. As I already pointed out, there aren't as many of us.

I find it highly insulting to be referred to as 'white noise'. We're all diabetics posting on a diabetic board, maybe you should try being a bit more tolerant.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
No it isn't and yes people post useful information.
There are loads of helpful type 1s and 2s on these forums.

Definitely loads of helpful type 1's type 2's on here Emmotha :) I can say that quite a few type 2's have become such wonderful friends <3 ( and it matters not a jot to me, if they post a lot, now and then, low carb, high carb, no carb, no fat, high fat, vegetarian, Vegan or eat what they want ) amen :angelic: and they are great contributors to the forum:) ( just needed to voice that ;))

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 14 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I kept out of this thread for a long time because it was in the type 1 section. I think I will revert to that strategy again now.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It seems you are blaming us type 2's for posting too much. Do you not think that maybe type 1's, being generally younger than type 2's are too busy to be bothered to post? I have raised this lack of replies from T1's as a potential problem to a mod before and was told that there are plenty of T1's here to to reply. I find it upsetting when there are newbie type 1's and no-one greets them, if that happens I will greet them myself. I would love to see more type 1 replies to type 1 threads.

I am definitely not a younger type 1, I think there are few of us over the 45 + mark on here.
I am sure type 1's do get greeted, I find it hard to believe that no one say's hello to a type 1.:eek: Yes there are so many more type 2's on the forum and more threads too, so from a maths point of view :oops: the type 2 members out weigh the type 1's and Lada's, pre diabetic and gestational diabetes too.
The problem with me is I get very tired at night and if there is a very long post, it's harder to read and to take it all in, thus a 'hello and welcome' to an upsetting /hospitalized / possibly near fatal post, is really not worthy and not appropriate. So I try the next morning if possible.

We can only and hopefully, do the best we can:)

RRB :)

Reactions: 11 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think that's a demonstration of oppression, telling others where they can and can't speak?

I think it's great to say Hi and welcome to anyone who have just joined the forum. Being 'told' something or do a certain something is a BIG no, no for me, whether posted by type 1, 2 or Lada.
We may all have diabetes, but our diabetes management can be so totally different because of the different 'type's' and the function, or non function of the pancreas it's self.

Best wishes RRB :)

Reactions: 9 people
C

catherinecherub

Either this thread moves on from posts that try to belittle others or it will be locked.
The forum rules allow for postings in any thread so let's do what you do best, helping others regardless of type.
If anyone has a problem then please PM @Giverny as per forum rules rather than derail a thread with unpleasantness.

The forum would be a sad place if new posters were not acknowledged as soon as possible regardless of who responds.

Reactions: 2 people
G

gemma6549

As a new member I was greeted pretty quickly and have already had many helpful responses to my topics. I don't actually check whether the respondent is type 1 or type 2 nor do I post in the specific forum as I find everyone's comments welcome and valid.

I'm just grateful to get a reply :)

Reactions: 24 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here here. I'm type 1 and I sometimes go specifically to more general boards so that I can find a wider pool of advice :)

Reactions: 15 people
S

Sable_Jan

I am Type 1 too, and I while I think people on the forum are well-meaning, that is not always the same as supportive. I am new here and I came to find out more about two things: using an insulin pump, and exercising with Type 1.

To be honest, I think the experiences of people with Type 2 are completely irrelevant to my needs, and even in the Type 1 forums, their postings seem to dominate. This may be natural because there are about five times as many Type 2s as Type 1s, in society. And maybe the ratio is even greater on this forum. But reading the forums, it is sometimes difficult to "separate the wheat from the chaff" in terms of finding the experiences, advice and info that does actually apply to Type 1s.

I have actually found surprisingly little on the forums that is helpful about my specific queries.

I mean I am looking for female Type 1 pump users who exercise. It is a bit specific, but if I can't find them here, I won't find them anywhere. But they are apparently hidden somewhere in the shadow of the male Type 2s who exercise!

I am not criticizing them. It's good to be a male type 2 who exercises. But our medical and social issues seem to be totally different. (For a start I don't seem to have any insulin resistance at all after nearly fifty years, and I have absolutely NO intention of lo-carbing because, hey, I live in society and I like to have a social life, and my Type 1 diabetes has had enough of a negative impact on that already, thank you very much!)
Have you thought of starting your own thread on the very subject you crave advice on? There may be others in a similar situation to yourself who are thinking the same but just haven't voiced it yet - and if they aren't reading this thread then you won't get responses from them. Give it a go, I'm sure you will get a positive response.

We are all so very different all we can do is advise (though most of us seem to suggest possible solutions not "advise") from our own personal standpoint....if something hits the mark and seems useful then go ahead and use it; if not ignore it - simples :)

Reactions: 11 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It seems you are blaming us type 2's for posting too much. Do you not think that maybe type 1's, being generally younger than type 2's are too busy to be bothered to post? I have raised this lack of replies from T1's as a potential problem to a mod before and was told that there are plenty of T1's here to to reply. I find it upsetting when there are newbie type 1's and no-one greets them, if that happens I will greet them myself. I would love to see more type 1 replies to type 1 threads.

Hi Zand,

With the utmost respect.. & you know I love Yer posts. :D Speaking for myself as a long term T1.. I hardly ever met any other T1. (The only gay in the village.) & even if I did we never spoke T1.. (Stiff upper lip & all that.!) I'm in a band with a T1 pumper about the same age as me & quite frankly it's like pulling teeth with the D banter.. So it maybe it's the psychology regarding the T1 "lifers"..? Lol, Meeting another T1 amongst the "old timers" is a bit like a couple of sports guys accidentally touching buttocks in a changing room.. We cough, lower our voices & talk about the football... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I am Type 1 too, and I while I think people on the forum are well-meaning, that is not always the same as supportive. I am new here and I came to find out more about two things: using an insulin pump, and exercising with Type 1.

To be honest, I think the experiences of people with Type 2 are completely irrelevant to my needs, and even in the Type 1 forums, their postings seem to dominate. This may be natural because there are about five times as many Type 2s as Type 1s, in society. And maybe the ratio is even greater on this forum. But reading the forums, it is sometimes difficult to "separate the wheat from the chaff" in terms of finding the experiences, advice and info that does actually apply to Type 1s.

I have actually found surprisingly little on the forums that is helpful about my specific queries.

I mean I am looking for female Type 1 pump users who exercise. It is a bit specific, but if I can't find them here, I won't find them anywhere. But they are apparently hidden somewhere in the shadow of the male Type 2s who exercise!

I am not criticizing them. It's good to be a male type 2 who exercises. But our medical and social issues seem to be totally different. (For a start I don't seem to have any insulin resistance at all after nearly fifty years, and I have absolutely NO intention of lo-carbing because, hey, I live in society and I like to have a social life, and my Type 1 diabetes has had enough of a negative impact on that already, thank you very much!)

Ruth
i have only just seen your posting on this thread ref needing a female type 1 exerciser...

I am female and exercise to a point... I'm a fit well controlled gardener (as a job). I don't really see it as exercising but perhaps you can post your own query and I may be sble to help. No guarantees that I can help but I would help if I could.

I sm 50+, T1 30 years + but I do leep my carbs lower scale as this has worked for me all my life.

I've made horrendous qtys of postings to all type's of diabetics here. I don't exclude any type intentionally.

Thensupport personally on here from T1's and T2's to me over the past 6 years has been absolutely superb. Sure as in normal life there's been a couple fraught moments but advice and support to me has been terrific and I thank everybody for doing that.

Reactions: 8 people