Is there a best time to exercise?

Sal260

Hi! I was diagnosed back in March with a fasting blood glucose 19.7 and an HbA1c 107.
4 months on my HbA1c is down to 50 through lowish carb (70-90g) and HF, fasting blood sugar in the high 6’s. I have lost 4 stone and am back to a healthy weight for the first time since my early twenties.

I don’t really want to lose much more weight and feel happy that my new eating lifestyle is one I can continue with permanently but I would like to get my numbers down to normal levels.

I think exercise could be the way to go. I walk our 2 youngish labs twice a day and we cover around 4miles in total at a reasonable pace. I work in retail so am on the go constantly there as well, so in total rarely go below 14,000 steps daily. I am now looking at adding some cardio into the mix either online classes or couch to 5k.

Are some times of the day better than others for this? How do you work your exercise around mealtimes to maximise positive effects on blood sugar levels? Or does it not really make any difference?

Sorry this has been so longwinded ...

I take 1 metformin SR with my evening meal

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I used to work in retail too.. Up until 4 weeks back. i also had a dog.. Long tragic story.

Before work & after we would venture out.. I found after prepping for work then when we got back in the morning runs my BG would go up to. about 2.5 mmol? (liver dump of glycogen, with no breakfast.) I also finding more insulin sensitive at the end of the day.But i am male (though we are around a similar age. i do have a consistent weight since my late teens & i am using exogenous insulin.) I feel there are other factors affecting BG during different times of the day? Thee is a "flight or fight" factor in the mornings prior to work that affect how the liver affects BG?

Reactions: Sal260

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I take a quick walk about 15 minutes after most every meal, so right when my BG levels are increasing.

I do my more intense workouts, 1 hour after breakfast, and I have a protein shake afterwards for recovery.

I work from home and on my schedule so I can play with timings...

edit, fantastic work on the weight loss!

Reactions: Sal260