Is there a pen for Tresiba that has a timer on it?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I went to my diabetes clinic this morning and my basal has been changed to Tresiba (from Lantus that was causing lows overnight - my libre often showed my BG dropping til about 3am and either staying in the red all night or my liver then going hell for leather and me ending up at 15+ by the time I woke up in the morning - I did try reducing the Lantus - mostly what that did was make my BS be high all day)

I currently have a Timesulin cap for my Lantus disposable pen, and its been a godsend as I had great problems remembering whether I'd actually taken it already - now if I could get a Timesulin cap for the the Tresiba it'd be fine, but I've been trying to get one for the FlexTouch pen for my Fiasp for the past 6 months and still nothing (I think Tresiba uses the FlexTouch as well - might be wrong) - Timesulin have been redesigning the one for the FlexTouch (or something like that), so does anyone know if there is a timer cap available either for the Tresiba disposable pens or whether there is a non-disposable pen with a timer available for Tresiba?

I did ask the consultant if he knew - he had no idea, and the other people who were going to ask (the community diabetic nurses - who are very good) weren't answering the phone.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the fiasp why don't you get a novopen echo (0-30u in 0.5u increments) or novopen 5 (0-60u in 1u increments)? That's got a timer in. Cartridges/vials rather than disposable pens. They're nice pens - they feel well made.

(edited my cartridges sentence which was gibberish)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rokaab

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I had the Timesulin when I was on MDI and it was a godsend! I broke my Fiasp one and it took them over 6 months to replace. I now they are back on target with there deliveries. Unsure on the different sizes of Timesulin for the different pens, I guess you would need to check their website :)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For the fiasp why don't you get a novopen echo (0-30u in 0.5u increments) or novopen 5 (0-60u in 1u increments)? That's got a timer in. Cartridges rather than vials. They're nice pens - they feel well made.

Cool thanks, I'll check out both of those, and see if I can get either prescribed from the docs (once they finally get the letter from the hospital!).
As a side note: I've still got a Novopen 3 upstairs - still with half a cartridge of Insulatard in it - oops, I think its been about 16-20 years since I used that insulin, oh well ....

I had the Timesulin when I was on MDI and it was a godsend! I broke my Fiasp one and it took them over 6 months to replace. I now they are back on target with there deliveries. Unsure on the different sizes of Timesulin for the different pens, I guess you would need to check their website :)
Yeah on their website the FlexTouch cap one is still only available on backorder - ie. not currently available - need the same one for Tresiba and Fiasp (ie the one that's not been available for 6 months so far)
But I really need the timer for at least the basal, the bolus I can normally remember (note the word normally :))

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Cool thanks, I'll check out both of those, and see if I can get either prescribed from the docs (once they finally get the letter from the hospital!).
As a side note: I've still got a Novopen 3 upstairs - still with half a cartridge of Insulatard in it - oops, I think its been about 16-20 years since I used that insulin, oh well ....

Yeah on their website the FlexTouch cap one is still only available on backorder - ie. not currently available - need the same one for Tresiba and Fiasp (ie the one that's not been available for 6 months so far)
But I really need the timer for at least the basal, the bolus I can normally remember (note the word normally :))
I had my replacement sent thru to me for the Fiasp around a month ago. I have just been put on a pump. If you want it it's yours for the postage

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My diabetes clinic gave me the pens, no prescription for them - they have a small collection. If changing to cartridges from disposable pens, the Dr needs to update the prescription.

(the economics of this are probably that Novo/whoever give them the pens and make their money on the insulin prescriptions which use them. They do sell them too...)

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My DSN saw my Novopen3 and emitted minor noises of horror - it started out blue painted, but is now probably mostly silver :) Still works, but the 0.5u dose + timer thing was worth the change.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My diabetes clinic gave me the pens, no prescription for them - they have a small collection. If changing to cartridges from disposable pens, the Dr needs to update the prescription.
Well the Fiasp I'll probably just leave as is, but since the Tresiba is completely new, they'll need to sort it out anyways so I might as well decide now whether to go for cartridges and a non-disposable pen or just the disposable pens

My DSN saw my Novopen3 and emitted minor noises of horror - it started out blue painted, but is now probably mostly silver :) Still works, but the 0.5u dose + timer thing was worth the change.
Yeah it's the timer thing I really need, so the Novopen 3 can stay as nostalgia upstairs :) (it seems I got rid of the NovoPen 2's and the original Novopen)