Is There An Error In Determining The Degree Of Diabetes?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
its all very well, saying "if your below 6.5% your this, or if your above 6.5% you are that", what needs clarification is to also advise, "if your results are sitting on the cut off 6.5% you are viewed as........?"

This clarification is not been 100% explained to us all, and no one should be in a position as I see it, to have a result sitting on a cut off 6.5% and perhaps have the worry they are mis diagnosed because of this
What is all this obsession with cut off points? If you decide to divide a continuous range into two states there is bound to be differences of opinion about where the change should occur. Couple this with the fact that all measurements, not just medical ones, have errors and there is bound to be some grey area where you cannot be certain about the result. What is important is what you do with the result and that shouldn't change just because you are in that grey area. If you are at the artificial cut off point of say 6.5% then modify your lifestyle so that you are comfortably below the cut of point, deciding that you were perfectly fine at 6.49% but in danger of complications at 6.51% would be ridiculous.

Reactions: kitedoc

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
It was a little joke. However, the term could be applied to those who initially had an A1c high enough for them to be diagnosed as diabetic and then by their own efforts lowered it to a level considered even below pre-diabetic. I believe that sometimes their doctors re-label them as not diabetic, sometimes as in remission, or sometimes the diabetic label remains. Indeed, when on this Forum we choose what label to apply to ourselves, the option of "post-diabetic" might come in useful.
Thank you very much this is exactly what I wanted to say

P

pollensa

What is all this obsession with cut off points? If you decide to divide a continuous range into two states there is bound to be differences of opinion about where the change should occur. Couple this with the fact that all measurements, not just medical ones, have errors and there is bound to be some grey area where you cannot be certain about the result. What is important is what you do with the result and that shouldn't change just because you are in that grey area. If you are at the artificial cut off point of say 6.5% then modify your lifestyle so that you are comfortably below the cut of point, deciding that you were perfectly fine at 6.49% but in danger of complications at 6.51% would be ridiculous.
Obsession, I think with respect you have misunderstood, a result can mean one is placed in spain anyway, officially on medical records accordingly.

In avoidance of doubt, my issue of concern is other than NZ I do not see any other worldwide country, who demonstrate clearly
the result situation when ones final results fall "sitting on" a cut off, whatever it be or what country.

If one result is 6.5% here in spain the doctor places you officially noted on medical legal gov records as being just that Diabetic.
However, the doubt question is, 6.5% as pre diabetes is before this number, and diabetes is after this number, it seems only good medical sense, that the cut offs decide depending on countries, i.e. 6.5% result would be pre diabetic, or another or 6.5% on he number is diabetic. When the situation is in limbo, and no clarification regards this, I for one I cannot speak for anyone else, would much prefer not to be placed as diabetic on offical medical records that is a serious situation.

Yes you are right Mr. Pot, one can take control lifestyle etc., if sitting on cut off, and/or 1 point below, one point over, pre or diabetes, or even normal those normal nothing to stop them doing low carb, exercising, intermittent fasting, the crux of the issue here, is best interests of all so theya re not over and or mis diagnosed incorrectly because they sit on a number that floats inbtween, a pre diabetes situaiton, umbrella between normal and diabetes, i.e. there is no official medical situation to my knowledge i may be wrong that classifies Pre Diabetes as a disease?

Why be placed officially diabetic that affects many things daily and our lives, on the medical record system, when perhaps doubt prevails one may not be that, yes on the cusp, border, but thats not diabetes, or pre diabetes thats not diabetes.

thats all the talks and concerns spoken about regards cut offs relates to. Its not so black and white as I see it, and if many out there do not feel the same that its a warranted point to raise, so be it, I personally feel its a situation that cannot be denied,
many countries do not sadly and unfortunately, clarify, where one stands if results fall right on the actual cut off, surely,
thats a good reason to speak talk and raise the issue.

Its one thing to modify ones lifestyle how right you are I totally agree, but its another thing to be officially placed on record as diabetic when this may may not be the case, and the two are not to be confused as one and the same.

Hope this assists in some way...

have a lovely day.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Obsession, I think with respect you have misunderstood, a result can mean one is placed in spain anyway, officially on medical records accordingly.

In avoidance of doubt, my issue of concern is other than NZ I do not see any other worldwide country, who demonstrate clearly
the result situation when ones final results fall "sitting on" a cut off, whatever it be or what country.

If one result is 6.5% here in spain the doctor places you officially noted on medical legal gov records as being just that Diabetic.
However, the doubt question is, 6.5% as pre diabetes is before this number, and diabetes is after this number, it seems only good medical sense, that the cut offs decide depending on countries, i.e. 6.5% result would be pre diabetic, or another or 6.5% on he number is diabetic. When the situation is in limbo, and no clarification regards this, I for one I cannot speak for anyone else, would much prefer not to be placed as diabetic on offical medical records that is a serious situation.

Yes you are right Mr. Pot, one can take control lifestyle etc., if sitting on cut off, and/or 1 point below, one point over, pre or diabetes, or even normal those normal nothing to stop them doing low carb, exercising, intermittent fasting, the crux of the issue here, is best interests of all so theya re not over and or mis diagnosed incorrectly because they sit on a number that floats inbtween, a pre diabetes situaiton, umbrella between normal and diabetes, i.e. there is no official medical situation to my knowledge i may be wrong that classifies Pre Diabetes as a disease?

Why be placed officially diabetic that affects many things daily and our lives, on the medical record system, when perhaps doubt prevails one may not be that, yes on the cusp, border, but thats not diabetes, or pre diabetes thats not diabetes.

thats all the talks and concerns spoken about regards cut offs relates to. Its not so black and white as I see it, and if many out there do not feel the same that its a warranted point to raise, so be it, I personally feel its a situation that cannot be denied,
many countries do not sadly and unfortunately, clarify, where one stands if results fall right on the actual cut off, surely,

Its one thing to modify ones lifestyle how right you are I totally agree, but its another thing to be officially placed on record as diabetic when this may may not be the case, and the two are not to be confused as one and the same.

have a lovely day.

All this is moot if the parameters are dodgy.

P

pollensa

have a lovely day.
Thank you as to be creative, hopefully means some changes may be made due to creative ideas to be followed. For this,
I would really be interested if you are in a position to comment or answer this question.

You are in UK. Your A1C diagnosis is determined by a cut off of 6.5%. By that I mean, if you are 6.6% you would be viewed or put on official medical records as diabetic for the fact your result was 6.6% one point over the threshold, this seems clear. If your result was 6.4% I presume you would be viewed as Pre Diabetic you are one point under the threshold, this also is clear,

here is my question to yourself Sir,

If your result shows 6.5% the threshold cut off point, and because England has not clarified the situation of results of 6.5% fall, what would you say if your doctor said to you..

"Mr. pot, your result is 6.5% its the cut off therefore, I formally record you as diabetic". Would you be happy with this diagnosis, and accept same, and/or would you query it and say, well Hello Doctor, I am on the cut off, surely, that means there is doubt I may be the other way pre diabetic?

I am sincerely interested to see if you would be happy that your doctor officially put you on records as Diabetic? when doubt exists, until clarification takes place what a patient falls under when results hit the 6.5% actual cut off number.

??

P

pollensa

HbA1c measures average glucose levels over the past 2 or 3 months. Imagine 2 people have diabetes. For the last two months one has been on a low carb diet and the other has eaten bread, potatoes and rice every day. Their HbA1c would show how well they are managing their diabetes not how "badly" they have the disease.

Not necessarily although seems sound logic that would be the case, I use myself as prime example.

Jan, Feb March this year, I had a problem which needed medication that included sugars lots in the medication, not eating brad potatoes, rice, pasta my Doc expected as I that my A1C would show high result and would be addressed accordingly, i.e. it would be taken into consideration that if it was high, it was due to medications over the three month period, to our great surprise my A1C showed 5.3% lower than the 5.7% previous, this was not expected

next A1C after no meds, with sugars again diet same no pasta, rice potatoes bread, A1C showed higher at 5.5%,

Doctor informed, A1C depends on may things, time to the lab,. climate in the lab, variations testing techniques, raised to attention, whether it was 5.3% or 5.5% both are 100% non diabetic range and normal readings, which was the main thing at the end of the day.

Thats how crazy the A1C and flaws and ups and downs that can exist, I was managing my status with no dietary change on two different interval of three months, exactly the same, exercises the same, only difference I had meds for 3 months during one three month interval, that included sugar within the medication, yet strangely enough the A1C proved lower????

Amazing..
?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
here is my question to yourself Sir,

If your result shows 6.5% the threshold cut off point, and because England has not clarified the situation of results of 6.5% fall, what would you say if your doctor said to you..

"Mr. pot, your result is 6.5% its the cut off therefore, I formally record you as diabetic". Would you be happy with this diagnosis, and accept same, and/or would you query it and say, well Hello Doctor, I am on the cut off, surely, that means there is doubt I may be the other way pre diabetic?

I am sincerely interested to see if you would be happy that your doctor officially put you on records as Diabetic? when doubt exists, until clarification takes place what a patient falls under when results hit the 6.5% actual cut off number.
I was diagnosed with a HbA1c of 6.8% so not much different. What worried me is that I was diabetic not that the doctor put it on my record. In fact it was probably a good thing because I took it seriously and did something about it. If I had been pre-diabetic or borderline diabetic as they used to call it, I might have ignored it and done nothing. As a diet controlled Type 2 I have not found any disadvantage in being officially diabetic, on the contrary, I get regular check-ups and eye screening.

P

pollensa

I was diagnosed with a HbA1c of 6.8% so not much different. What worried me is that I was diabetic not that the doctor put it on my record. In fact it was probably a good thing because I took it seriously and did something about it. If I had been pre-diabetic or borderline diabetic as they used to call it, I might have ignored it and done nothing. As a diet controlled Type 2 I have not found any disadvantage in being officially diabetic, on the contrary, I get regular check-ups and eye screening.
Thank you for your details, my question has not been given a straight answer, neverthe less I wish you a nice day. Subject closed, your situation was clear as explained 6.8% is of course, unfortunately, sadly diabetic, but then your result could have been 6.5%???????

P

pollensa

Not necessarily although seems sound logic that would be the case, I use myself as prime example.

Jan, Feb March this year, I had a problem which needed medication that included sugars lots in the medication, not eating brad potatoes, rice, pasta my Doc expected as I that my A1C would show high result and would be addressed accordingly, i.e. it would be taken into consideration that if it was high, it was due to medications over the three month period, to our great surprise my A1C showed 5.3% lower than the 5.7% previous, this was not expected

next A1C after no meds, with sugars again diet same no pasta, rice potatoes bread, A1C showed higher at 5.5%,

Doctor informed, A1C depends on may things, time to the lab,. climate in the lab, variations testing techniques, raised to attention, whether it was 5.3% or 5.5% both are 100% non diabetic range and normal readings, which was the main thing at the end of the day.

Thats how crazy the A1C and flaws and ups and downs that can exist, I was managing my status with no dietary change on two different interval of three months, exactly the same, exercises the same, only difference I had meds for 3 months during one three month interval, that included sugar within the medication, yet strangely enough the A1C proved lower????

Amazing..
?

More amazingly, Home A1C indicated the same more or less....

Home test taking sugar medications 5.4% v. lab test taking medications 5.3% indicates here home A1C are accurate!!
Home test no medications 5% v. lab 5.5% no medications.

Bewilderment continues I suppose.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
That would be so wonderful as the diabetes world needs more people like yourself who is putting energy and taking interest to approach health cares and others with suggestion box ideas,

I watch this space for updates accordingly

off to the beach now in 29 degrees for a surf, thats summer in Mallorca, ah, and no sharks by the way, an added bonus.
Say G.day to Oz, one of the best countries on this planet along with Mallorca.
Please enjoy the non-statistical, sunny world of nature ! I will be staying on dry land, kite flying and we pass on your greetings to this 'sunburnt country'. Progress reports on the political kite flying as we go.

M

Moggely

How do you do a home A1c test. Don't you have to use the blood in the veins not finger. Because i would do that.Do you get it from a chemist. I know here in Tasmania they do it at the chemist for you at the price of say $25 however i have never had it done as don't know how accurate it is. But going by this and another thread none is accurate.

P

pollensa

How do you do a home A1c test. Don't you have to use the blood in the veins not finger. Because i would do that.Do you get it from a chemist. I know here in Tasmania they do it at the chemist for you at the price of say $25 however i have never had it done as don't know how accurate it is. But going by this and another thread none is accurate.

Hello Moggely. How to Test A1C at home. There is this excellent option for public called A1Cnow self check 2 test pack
It is produced by BHR in England. I live in Spain, at the moment they do not have this test, but in 7 months or so it is expected to be sold in chemists for the consumer to buy.

This test pack in UK to my knowledge is used in Doctors Surgeries for quick testing, as and when, also the chemists offer the test same as finger prick tests and cholesterol. In Australia the pack is available also the same, to my knowledge, you may wish to check it out and make enquiries.

I have dilemma in giving blood, so this is fabulous as all you do is prick your finger. I have found all test results accurate and near to the actual lab tests also. It is a wonderful tool option that can be used inbetween annual or 6 monthly laboratory blood taken from the veins, and gives one a guide in the comfort of their own home, how they are controlling, I love it.

If you get tested every 12 months, you can do say 2 3 monthly checks inbetween your annual test, its an added tool.

How does it work so simple.... there are only three items in the box,
  • the blood collector
  • the cartridge that goes into the monitor to get the result and the
  • actual monitor which is like the monitor for finger sugar testing.

Prick your finger as you normally would do for a sugar test get as much blood possible, as it requires a little bit more than sugar.
Place the special tiny tube over the blood and it automatically sucks up the blood from finger prick, if you need more it tells you just squeeze finger for more blood and the tube tells you when sufficient blood you only need a very small amount.
Put top on the tub. Shake it 6 to 7 times side to side. Place on table and let stand
take cartridge out of the pack.
Place into the monitor. Monitor indicates Wait. Then shows place in sample.
You take top off the blood sample tube, simply press it into the small hole area on the monitor In and out motion quickly.

thats it......then then wait, do not touch the monitor in anyway. It starts to tell you what its doing, it is collecting the blood, then tells you sufficient blood taken, it is correct and passed the laboratory standardized test, and then it starts to do your A1C test x 3 months, this takes 5 mins. It is important do not touch the monitor while the test is taking place.

Monitor then shoes the resultsj i.e. 5.6% 6%, 7% or whatever.

Its such a wonderful tool a diagnostic test made easy really.

When it hits the chemists here in Spain it also can be used by Doctors, Diabetes educators, chemists and that is taking place in Australia as I understand same as in UK, so hopefully I can purchase soon in Spain, as currently I contact the distributor in UK I have it forwarded to an address in UK to a friend, who posts it here to myself here in Mallorca.

Hope this assists, and good luck finding it, if you feel it would be worthwhile took for yourself.

Mallorca.

P

pollensa

PS, the testing results I forgot to mention regards my own tests were as follows..

Lab test fasting state 5.5% A1C home test 1 hour before lab test fasting resulted in 5.3%
Lab test non fast test 5.2% A1C home test non fast test 5%

Yes, a slight difference but more or less the same, so indicates that it is a reliable accurate tool as I have experience personally, whether that is the case for others, obviously, I have no jurisdiction to comment, I speak from personal experience only.

Hello Moggely. How to Test A1C at home. There is this excellent option for public called A1Cnow self check 2 test pack
It is produced by BHR in England. I live in Spain, at the moment they do not have this test, but in 7 months or so it is expected to be sold in chemists for the consumer to buy.

This test pack in UK to my knowledge is used in Doctors Surgeries for quick testing, as and when, also the chemists offer the test same as finger prick tests and cholesterol. In Australia the pack is available also the same, to my knowledge, you may wish to check it out and make enquiries.

I have dilemma in giving blood, so this is fabulous as all you do is prick your finger. I have found all test results accurate and near to the actual lab tests also. It is a wonderful tool option that can be used inbetween annual or 6 monthly laboratory blood taken from the veins, and gives one a guide in the comfort of their own home, how they are controlling, I love it.

If you get tested every 12 months, you can do say 2 3 monthly checks inbetween your annual test, its an added tool.

• the blood collector
Prick your finger as you normally would do for a sugar test get as much blood possible, as it requires a little bit more than sugar.
Place the special tiny tube over the blood and it automatically sucks up the blood from finger prick, if you need more it tells you just squeeze finger for more blood and the tube tells you when sufficient blood you only need a very small amount.
Put top on the tub. Shake it 6 to 7 times side to side. Place on table and let stand
You take top off the blood sample tube, simply press it into the small hole area on the monitor In and out motion quickly.

thats it......then then wait, do not touch the monitor in anyway. It starts to tell you what its doing, it is collecting the blood, then tells you sufficient blood taken, it is correct and passed the laboratory standardized test, and then it starts to do your A1C test x 3 months, this takes 5 mins. It is important do not touch the monitor while the test is taking place.

When it hits the chemists here in Spain it also can be used by Doctors, Diabetes educators, chemists and that is taking place in Australia as I understand same as in UK, so hopefully I can purchase soon in Spain, as currently I contact the distributor in UK I have it forwarded to an address in UK to a friend, who posts it here to myself here in Mallorca.

Hope this assists, and good luck finding it, if you feel it would be worthwhile took for yourself.

Mallorca.

P

pollensa

The HbA1c is very fallible. Ignore the very real evidence that it is inaccurate for various groups of people, and remember the "fallacy of averages."

Two people with identical HbA1cs.
One has an almost flat line with hardly any peaks or troughs. Just nice wavy lines on a graph. Nice and steady, no roller coaster swings.
The other goes up and down, up and down, swinging about quite dangerously.
But the average blood glucose is the same.

The first one has good control, the second one doesn't. They cannot be compared ..... yet they are.

A1C test I feel should be more clarified by all medical doctors in best interests of patients generally, to explain more indepth the procedure of the actual test A1C how it is conducted especially if tests have to be taken some distance for testing, the format in which it is done, and results, and/or possibility of errors, and how such errors if any addressed, although rare I am sure, but it would be welcoming if Doctors explained in depth instead of arranging an A1C, ask one to go and collect results and given results, especially when there is information out there for all to read whether we wish to believe the readings and information is another thing, but if read, can give doubts that lead to warranted questions regards ones results i.e.

Is hemoglobic A1C unreliable? who knows, we have to hope it is reliable. Info indicates..
Researches found lifetime hemoglobin cells of diabetics turned over in as few as 81 days while they lived as long as 146 days in non diabetics?

this proves assumption that everyone's red blood cells live for three months is false and hematologic A1C cannot be relied upon as a blood sugar marker, and A1C is based on lifespan cells?

In a person with normal blood sugar hemogblobin would be around a lot longer, which means accumulates more sugar this will drive up the A1C test result, but it does not mean that the person has too much sugar in their blood it just means hemoglobin lived longer and thus, accumulated more sugar, result is people with normal blood sugar may often test unexpectedly high A1C levels

What do we think when such information is available to read, is this true correct, hence, it would be great if Doctors explained more indepth time of test, the situation of differences of how long red blood cells live as its seems lifespan differs in individuals? I for one would like this explained regards the life span of cells and if such information is true and correct, and I shall be asking my Doctor his views on this question seems the sensible way around this.

Re A1C as I read at one time, Who website Currently A1C not considered suitable diagnostic test for diabetes or intermediate hyperglcaemia not reliable marker?? they may have changed this view, whatever the reason, but leads to doubt perhaps its not the gold standard test as most doctors feel? and may be flaws to overcome?

or

When information
out there states for example..

Studies show 0.01 to 0.55 all test results are erroneous A1C.
Transport samples to lab can give rise to clinically important errors if transport conditions are not optimized. Prolonged transport time contribute to a prolonged turnaround time.
If analysis is centralized to another hospital for lab testing not in the surgery or other, sample may have to be transported by car to the lab which may have effects on test results, especially if temperature conditions vary in the time during transport.

Surely, whether this information is true and correct who knows, it would be helpful if doctors, explained the system of transport, and the outcome of that re tests, and such situations if true and correct, will be taken into consideration when a test result comes back? or not?

Conclusion, solution as I see I shall ask my doctor to explain areas and questions I have in doubt, in full and more indepth
and ask outright, if transport time, temperature and other have any effect on the final A1C results and if so, surely this should be taken into consideration? Not an unwarranted question I feel, but may be wrong?

Rare errors, averages, ?? whatever, here is lacking from the medical profession as I see it to demonstrate give more indepth information time fo A1C tests arranged, to allow the patient to be aware of the procedures generally and overall, and I cannot speak in UK or other, but here in Spain, there is no indepth information given this present time unfortunately.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
A1C test I feel should be more clarified by all medical doctors in best interests of patients generally, to explain more indepth the procedure of the actual test A1C how it is conducted especially if tests have to be taken some distance for testing, the format in which it is done, and results, and/or possibility of errors, and how such errors if any addressed, although rare I am sure, but it would be welcoming if Doctors explained in depth instead of arranging an A1C, ask one to go and collect results and given results, especially when there is information out there for all to read whether we wish to believe the readings and information is another thing, but if read, can give doubts that lead to warranted questions regards ones results i.e.

Is hemoglobic A1C unreliable? who knows, we have to hope it is reliable. Info indicates..
Researches found lifetime hemoglobin cells of diabetics turned over in as few as 81 days while they lived as long as 146 days in non diabetics?

this proves assumption that everyone's red blood cells live for three months is false and hematologic A1C cannot be relied upon as a blood sugar marker, and A1C is based on lifespan cells?

In a person with normal blood sugar hemogblobin would be around a lot longer, which means accumulates more sugar this will drive up the A1C test result, but it does not mean that the person has too much sugar in their blood it just means hemoglobin lived longer and thus, accumulated more sugar, result is people with normal blood sugar may often test unexpectedly high A1C levels

What do we think when such information is available to read, is this true correct, hence, it would be great if Doctors explained more indepth time of test, the situation of differences of how long red blood cells live as its seems lifespan differs in individuals? I for one would like this explained regards the life span of cells and if such information is true and correct, and I shall be asking my Doctor his views on this question seems the sensible way around this.

Re A1C as I read at one time, Who website Currently A1C not considered suitable diagnostic test for diabetes or intermediate hyperglcaemia not reliable marker?? they may have changed this view, whatever the reason, but leads to doubt perhaps its not the gold standard test as most doctors feel? and may be flaws to overcome?

or

When information
out there states for example..

Studies show 0.01 to 0.55 all test results are erroneous A1C.
Transport samples to lab can give rise to clinically important errors if transport conditions are not optimized. Prolonged transport time contribute to a prolonged turnaround time.
If analysis is centralized to another hospital for lab testing not in the surgery or other, sample may have to be transported by car to the lab which may have effects on test results, especially if temperature conditions vary in the time during transport.

Surely, whether this information is true and correct who knows, it would be helpful if doctors, explained the system of transport, and the outcome of that re tests, and such situations if true and correct, will be taken into consideration when a test result comes back? or not?

Conclusion, solution as I see I shall ask my doctor to explain areas and questions I have in doubt, in full and more indepth
and ask outright, if transport time, temperature and other have any effect on the final A1C results and if so, surely this should be taken into consideration? Not an unwarranted question I feel, but may be wrong?

Rare errors, averages, ?? whatever, here is lacking from the medical profession as I see it to demonstrate give more indepth information time fo A1C tests arranged, to allow the patient to be aware of the procedures generally and overall, and I cannot speak in UK or other, but here in Spain, there is no indepth information given this present time unfortunately.
Yes, an average of blood sugar levels over an average of red blood cell lives. And the red blood cell lives averages used or 'weighed' as they call it are 117 days for males and 108 days for females. Also the more recent blood sugar readings have a larger influence of the HBA1C result than older ones. There was also a recommendation on some sites that at HBAIC readings of 64 mmol/mol ( = 8 %) or less, further testing should be done to distinguish an averaging effect of high and low blood sugars vs a more constant level of blood glucose readings above normal range e.g. by frequent glucose monitoring by finger prick or CGM. How many diabetics are advised of this after say a HBA1C of 48 mmol/mol (= 6.5%) or 53 mmol/mol (= 7%) ?
There is a test called Gylco-mark which, through a different mechanism not involving red cells, can give information on how many blood sugar readings , particularly after meals have been > 180 mg/dL (= 10 mmol/l) over the preceding 20 days to one month. This is a blood test but research suggests close correlation (whatever that means) between saliva and blood samples. So a possible saliva test in future might help. Another test to at least help with the interpretation of HBA1C.
But in the end can any thing beat a well-calibrated CGM ? Oh, but the expense.

P

pollensa

Yes, an average of blood sugar levels over an average of red blood cell lives. And the red blood cell lives averages used or 'weighed' as they call it are 117 days for males and 108 days for females. Also the more recent blood sugar readings have a larger influence of the HBA1C result than older ones. There was also a recommendation on some sites that at HBAIC readings of 64 mmol/mol ( = 8 %) or less, further testing should be done to distinguish an averaging effect of high and low blood sugars vs a more constant level of blood glucose readings above normal range e.g. by frequent glucose monitoring by finger prick or CGM. How many diabetics are advised of this after say a HBA1C of 48 mmol/mol (= 6.5%) or 53 mmol/mol (= 7%) ?
There is a test called Gylco-mark which, through a different mechanism not involving red cells, can give information on how many blood sugar readings , particularly after meals have been > 180 mg/dL (= 10 mmol/l) over the preceding 20 days to one month. This is a blood test but research suggests close correlation (whatever that means) between saliva and blood samples. So a possible saliva test in future might help. Another test to at least help with the interpretation of HBA1C.

Exactly, as you say, perhaps on the horizon saliva test on it own and/or in conjunction with another test may prove medically in the best interests of so many out there, dont want to bore yourself or others out there with my journey saga, sadly it has lead to my feeling skeptical overall about Diabetes, this is my thoughts only and not to be read taken or followed by anyone, and based on the grounds of my own experience from day one, such situation I am sure others may hav similar, and hence, such tests as Glyco/mark as you inform very interesting I might add.

1. First blood test 40 years finger prick showed 197mg/dl random 4 hours after eat a breakfast of sugar cocktail mango, pawpaw, kiwi, banana, orange, apple, being from Oz, abunance of tropical fruits was order of the day, how naive was I....but well.
Chemist stated, problems monitor, testing error during morning, many people. they changed monitor re did test albeit cocktail of fruits, result 180mg/dl. Still high, lower, "normal" range, as it was under the cut off threshold arbitrary set of 200mg/dl caution time kicked in, sufficient to do something about it.
Attended Doc informed level. He did a test 189mg/dl. High Yes, normal range, as again below the so called threshold 200mg/dl. Action. Immediate Metformin given, A1C arranged.with advices, you can still eat your rice paellea on sundays, make sure your next course is veggies. How crazy is that, give me a pill to keep sugars at bay, the symptom! informed its OK to eat rice, how crazy is that again, my decision gut feeling. I declined metformin, and of course, did not follow recommendation of diet given. Instead, went low carb by doing www.dietdoctor.com

A1C 8.1%. equated average blood sugars of 126mg/dl note, right on the cut off threshold i.e. was average blood sugars, inicating Pre Diabetes and/or Diabetic range, whatever, 8.1% as Doc said is diabetic range. Note. All finger tests at this point were down and normal fasting, 2hr after eat and random on the low normal ranges. So what did we have here, possible lab error, it was discordant with "majority" finger tests. Diagnostic Specialist in Germany on my contact due to this, wrote and recommended I seek 2nd A1C immediately as may be typographical or lab error, as although average sugars are not that important, they are taken into consideration with A1C, but normally 8.1% equates to approx 186mg/dl supported by Mayo Clinic America and other reputable sources, to have an A1C 8.1% with average sugars value of 126mg/dl should be queried

Diagnosis given with only one A1C, not two, no symptoms present, and majority all finger pricks low normal at all times.

Yes, it proved error on Lab on demanding clarification.

Requested 2nd A1C due to this, pleaded begged Doc said, convince yourself your diabetic, forget the sugars your A1C cannot be wrong its 8.1% that means your diabetic, take care exercise a little more, and dont drink coffee...

Finally got 2nd A1C it proved 6.6% again all normal sugar finger tests continued consistently. I asked Doc as 1 point over threshold and there is 0.5% error marginal so my A1C could be 6.2% or up to 7% perhaps? Confirmed Spain its 100% diabetes as one point over the threshold even though arbitrary set threshold, in spain if this is the case, that is clear, yet not so black and white, as NZ it would not be viewed as Diabetic. On asking Doc if the low carb and extra exercise had contributed to 6.6% even though lab error previously, was informed no, the result of this is due to the fact your taking Metformin. On informed Doc decided not to take metformin, had not taken any medications whatsoever, opted lifestyle change instead. This did not go down well with my Doctor

This seemed clear, with the exception, NZ 6.6% falls under pre diabetic range, as differs from Spain. There cut off for Diabetes 6.7% two tests and if two tests show same, along with symptoms, indicates range of Diabetes. Good news is A1C lower, the not so good news, that result proves different diagnosing depending where you reside.

Result of this 2nd A1C 6.6% spain diabetic 100% again without second test to show same and no symptoms. If I jumped on plane to NZ would fall under diagnosis as pre diabetic, lifestyle change, caution and monitoring x 12 months.

Victim, depends where one resides time of diagnosing. Spain v. NZ.
One Lab test discordant error confirmed. 2nd Lab test average sugars showing 108mg/dl discordant again as normally would be in range of 146mg/dl, thankfully finger pricks continued normal on all counts.

Finally took charge, not sure if Pre or Diabetic either way. Changed life by four things.
1. Keto diet low carb, no snacking inbetween meals
2. Tread 10 mins after each meal plus 5/9klm walk daily and surfing as and when
3. Intermittent fasting, 3 days a week, 2 days 18hr fast 8pm to 2pm next day, and 8pm til 8pm following evening
4. No medications from day one prescribed to time of writing.

Result. Finger levels continue as normal and infact, 79mg/dl the other day for 2hr after eat to be below 140mg/dl is a little too low, tests only take place every 3 months, i.e. same day same time, but three months apart, and results are clear more or less same each time to show consistency not just a lucky or good day, fasting in 81mg/dl 2hr 79mg/dl to 83mg/dl random 84mg/dl examples.

A1C ranges now have gone from 8..1% lab error, 6.6% result pre NZ yet Spain Diabetes?? who is right or wrong, ultimately, who cares, the rest of A1C that followed since 5.8%, 5.7%, 5.4%, 5.2% 5.0%. Supported by A1C now home test kit as tool used inbetween regards lab tests show ......5.7%, 5.4%, 5.3% and 5.0%.

thankfully the 8.1% result has been taken off my medical record as Diabetic, with notes, 6.6% still discordant result overall, due to this, placed pre diabetic Spain, with now further notes officially, non diabetic range, excellence of control without medication 5.0% A1C.

What to do next, continue with four simple life changes, they work for my body, results prove this, 100%, but that does not change the fact, tests need backups, better tests more accurate may be available for the future, to save a person having a lab error and only getting confirmation of that, after plead and pressure to determine that, lab test that differs worldwide levels leaving limbo situation pre or diabetic situation, discordant numbers on tests, and finally, after taking charge of ones own body, results are as outlined within,??

The just of this journey story, indicates yes more interpretation of A1C in my opinion too, there can be cases as my own, lab errors, discordant results, victim different levels values worldwide that affect that particular individual situation, whatever inbetween it cannot be ignored, that fasting, random and 2hr after eat levels for now going on 2 years in November 2018 have been consistently and constantly normal, normal normal ranges, and thats not just a good day, or good luck day, I have tested one month on the hour every hour x 3 days one after the other, and yes, all levels were normal normal normal, Yes, the A1C now support these sugar levels, but before, there was doubt concern, lingering, as something did not support this majority consistent, perhaps until Salvia tests, always two tests taken one day after the other, should be the order of the day A1C both tests to show high or same, especially if patient does not have symptoms to have more surety that a lab error is not in place, everyone is human, a chef can have an off day, a machine depending on who puts the into in can make a mistake....

for this, I am skeptical on any lab tests from now on I am sure 98% of the time they are correct,but when one has been victim of error, and told your diabetic 100%, and turned out this was not the case, and 2nd test, indicated lower, yet still discordant results, who can blame anyone in that situation.........dont take the first result is my motto, and ask for 2nd and third if thats what it takes, especially, when life span of blood cells can differ with individuals.

thanks for your great informative post, I am sure others will appreciate also.

Wishing a lovely day from..

Mallorca....

M

Moggely

• the blood collector

Mallorca.
Hi @pollensa We don't have the pack in Australia , we do have it at the chemist though for $25. I actually went to the chemist and asked about having a A1c home kit and she said no they didn't. I wish we did though.

P

pollensa

PS I agree Oh but the expense re CGM necessity, thats a crying shame, and the diabetes Industry,professonals, should be ashamed of themselves, cost should not come into the equation, the priority should be what is best and in best interests of pre and diabetics at the end of the day no matter what that cost involve, then we can only hope I guess?

P

pollensa

Hi @pollensa We don't have the pack in Australia , we do have it at the chemist though for $25. I actually went to the chemist and asked about having a A1c home kit and she said no they didn't. I wish we did though.

Oh dear sincerely sorry to hear this, an idea, do you have a friend in UK you could purchase it on line from the distributor in UK and have them post it reg mail to you down under, my friend does this for myself, until Spain has it on shelves in the chemist for the consumer to purchase, and or, if the 2 kit comes here to Mallorca, I will inform you, and absolutely no problem whatsoever, I can send to you in Oz. Happy to do this, if this would help. I am sure, chemists finally will sell this item in Oz, its business after all, and at the moment, I do feel skeptical that reading through many research and general, I cannot help but wonder sadly, its a big business for many out there the Industry I refer to, so to sell the monitors, the strips, other, to sell the Home Kit A1C probably will eventuate, may be later than sooner, but better late than never, and inbetween, dont hesitate to ask if you wish I send to you from Mallorca.