Is There Any Cereal That Is Ok To Eat For Breakfast.

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Juicetin and Cap'n M - thanks for your comments

Juicetin - Lizi's granola does show a high carb content, however although it shows it at 22g per 50g portion, I am not even having half of that, I'm having about 5g, I literally grab it with the tips of my fingers and thumb, closed hand and have that as a good sprinkling on my yogurt with 3-4 raspberries and about 8 blueberries.

If 5g is too much, then I might as well shoot myself in the head, because although I'm aware of the complications related to diabetes, if I am to allow myself some flexibility, I'd rather it be on my breakfast which is my favourite meal of the day and I'm not going to substitute cereal for anything savoury like eggs, bacon etc! If I can find a better cereal alternative, then all well and good for those of us wishing to still enjoy cereal, then it will be a warm welcome.

This morning my bg was 10.1 before breakfast, (not low by any means, although it was 8.3 yesterday).
Then 2 hrs later it was 10.5.
If my bg was 5.1 before, then 5.5 after, on the lower scale to mine, I wouldn't consider that a high jump in the readings.
So, I feel it's safe to say that the portion I'm having for my cereal, coupled with the fruit hasn't done my bg too much harm. It's been like this for 2 days running, since I bought it on Friday following this post.

I'm new to this and still don't understand the readings or if going up from 10.1 to 10.5 is a big rise in between. If it is a big rise, whether my readings are low, just right or high to begin with, then please do say.

This cereal is high in carbs per 100g, but I don't even want the standard portion, I just like a cereal of some kind for my breakfast and this up to now seems ok for me, just a mere sprinkling.....

I have to get a few more ingredients and then I am ready to make my own, that will be interesting

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Quirkybee I'm with you on this, i have been searching for a cereal type breakie for ages but all i have tried have badly affected me. You can try Lizi's, it's gorgeous, but it raised my BS really high too. I think making your own granola with one of the recipes online is worth a try, that's what I'm planning on doing.
The lowest carb shop bought one I've seen is Paleo Granola but its very expensive.
You could try a Lidl high protein roll or a slice of Burgen Soya & Linseed bread, they're lovely toasted and around 10g of carbs.
Let me know how you get on please.
I bought 2 of the protein rolls yesterday to try. Had one for lunch today with mayo, a handful of spinach, thin ham, cucumber and 3 cherry toms.
My bg before was 8.3
Two hours after 8.1
Either way, it was a delight to eat a little bit of bread. I felt thoroughly full and still am and that's nearly 5 hrs later.

loznew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just had my first Diabetes Education Session last Thursday and was advised that you can eat anything as long as you eat all things in moderation. I have Original Special K most mornings. However I'm just recently diagnosed and my HbA1c is 49.

Reactions: 2 people

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought 2 of the protein rolls yesterday to try. Had one for lunch today with mayo, a handful of spinach, thin ham, cucumber and 3 cherry toms.
My bg before was 8.3
Two hours after 8.1
Either way, it was a delight to eat a little bit of bread. I felt thoroughly full and still am and that's nearly 5 hrs later.
Good on you. Seems like that amount of granola is fine for you. I like those Lidl rolls, do try them toasted, they go all chewy and are fab.
Keep up the good work Quirkybee!

Reactions: 2 people

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am another newbie, only pre-diabetic and don't intend to go any further if I can possibly avoid it! And luckily I am so happy being "allowed" to have a proper cooked breakfast, thank goodness this hit after I retired so I have time to cook it - and then go and do my ten minutes post-meal exercise by feeding my animals....I am wittering on a bit but what I wanted to say is why do you have to buy "special" grains and ready made breakfast cereals? I make bread and if I want it, I eat half a slice / weighs 25g / approx 10g carbs. With butter and cheese, whoopee! Or if I must have cereal (ok, a rare occurrence) I make like Quirky and have a measured amount - in my case a heaped ladle / 20g / 12g carbs, plus 2g carbs for two big tablespoons of greek yoghurt, plus milk from my daily allowance, plus fruit from my daily allowance!