Is this a hypo ?

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You did well.
The HbA1c is a very good indicator of what your BG levels have been over the passed few weeks ... It is an average. So it is dependant on the Lows you get and the Highs.... As you get very low LOWS that will offset against the Highs. Let us know what the result is.
Your self monitoring will help you learn to keep your BG levels from going too low or too high...

As for Oat v Wheet abix ...it depends on how your sugar levels react to each... some people avoid wheat... test and see how you react.
You're doing good so far... :cool:

Hi and thank you, I will let you know when the results get back to the Dr's. I could have wept at my fasting failure though, it's something I could never attempt again. Am I the only one with this problem I wonder.
Do you think I should continue monitoring until I get the results, if so, how often per day ?
I'm very grateful for your advice. I was 7.1 two hours after eating Oatibix. Is this bad ? My morning fasting readings which I've been logging are more or less constantly 6.2.

Are cereals like Oatibix and weetabix ok , I know they're still carbs but complex ones ?
And whole meal bread ok ? I never eat white bread.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Forgot, if I hadn't eaten it would have been over 9 hours by the time the nurse was due

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
7 1/2 hours
It does seem a little on the high side, but if your body is compensating for a low count during the early hours that could be the reason. What do you eat for supper (before bed) and at what time?

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
As for Oat v Wheet abix ...it depends on how your sugar levels react to each... some people avoid wheat... test and see how you react.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Forgot, if I hadn't eaten it would have been over 9 hours by the time the nurse was due
You get low LOWS so it is unreasonable to expect you to go so long without sustenance.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi and thank you, I will let you know when the results get back to the Dr's. I could have wept at my fasting failure though, it's something I could never attempt again. Am I the only one with this problem I wonder.
Most assuredly not the only one. Nothing to be ashamed of in the least.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Do you think I should continue monitoring until I get the results, if so, how often per day ?
And whole meal bread ok ? I never eat white bread.
I would... first thing in morning (if fasted (not necessarily 8 hours))
Before each meal
2 hours after each meal

write down what you eat and keep logs of the readings.
do this for about a week to start with.

I find white bread is horendous for BG levels, full of refined carbs.. Not good.
Wholemeal bread is preferrable but even that can cause HIGHS. (again, eat, test and see how it affects your levels)

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It does seem a little on the high side, but if your body is compensating for a low count during the early hours that could be the reason. What do you eat for supper (before bed) and at what time?[/quote

Hi again I usually have a couple of Oatibix with warm milk around 10.45 pm. Or a whole meal turkey roll.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi again I usually have a couple of Oatibix with warm milk around 10.45 pm. Or a whole meal turkey roll.
That should be enough to keep you going throughout the night. If you wake up in the night take a blood test to see what the reading is, it helps to get 2 hourly readings throughout the night to see the pattern. Last night would have been an ideal time to do that.
IMHO: I suspect that your sugar goes low and then your liver compensates by splurging glucose into the bloodstream, a rebound reaction to the LOW sugar.

It could also be the carbs you eat at night causing an overreaction of the pancreas to produce more insulin than is necessary bringing on a LOW.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Do you wake with a headache?

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It does seem a little on the high side, but if your body is compensating for a low count during the early hours that could be the reason. What do you eat for supper (before bed) and at what time?

Could that contribute to my waking at 5am every morning I wonder ?

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Indeed... I've recently had a spate of waking at 3am . It started just after I started to control my BGs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Indeed... I've recently had a spate of waking at 3am . It started just after I started to control my BGs

Are you still waking at that time and can you get back to sleep, I can't.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Are you still waking at that time and can you get back to sleep, I can't.
No... I adapted, as I was getting extremely tired, to retiring to bed at 8pm and waking at 4am... Now it's more like 10pm to 6am.... I like it that way. But my sugars never go below 4.2.... But when I first started controling BGs that was low for me... the body needs to adapt ... you are one of those people who can go below 4.0
You may just have a propensity towards low sugars.

edit above.