is this a liver dump?

justmai

Sorry if being a pain and asking all these questions,

was this a liver dump, my bs when I went to bed last night were 10.4, I did eat from 3pm, and then this morning fasting they had gone up to 12.9. bit afraid to eat breakfast now as I know they are going to shoot up even more.

I'm trying to understand all the terms i'll get there one day.

Mai

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Mai.
Here is a link to a 'little discussion' about Liver Dump's and Dawn Phenomenon yesterday. Have a read or just read the explanation here ?
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9653&hilit=+liver+dump#p90858

DAWN PHENOMENON
Everyone, diabetic or not, exhibits some Dawn Phenomenon. It is a natural part of our bodies' circadian rhythms. Some have said it is the way our ancestors had the strength to rise and slay a wooly behemoth for breakfast.

Since most of us fast while sleeping, with teenagers a possible exception, our bodies use stored energy during sleep. The body uses all three macro-nutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, and fats) to store energy.

The most easily used is the storage medium of carbohydrates, called glycogen. Glycogen is made from glucose, and is stored in the liver and muscles. Since it is basically nothing more than a complex matrix of glucose, it is easy for the body to store and use, something the body does all day long. The technical term for the act of creating and storing glycogen is glycogenesis. When the body calls for the conversion of glycogen back to glucose it is called glycogenolysis.

Another macro-nutrient that is available to be converted to glucose is protein. Most of us think of our protein as being stored in muscle, but the body has protective mechanisms to make muscle wasting its last choice. One of the most useful and readily available sources of protein storage is in blood components, i.e., albumin (plasma). The body uses a process performed in the liver to convert amino acids, the building blocks of proteins, into glucose. The name for this process is gluconeogenesis, literally "the creation of new glucose".

So, what does all this have to do with a high fasting BG ? Overnight, usually between 4am and 11am, your body releases some hormones. These are Growth Hormone (GH) from the anterior pituitary gland, cortisol from the adrenal cortex, glucagon from your pancreatic alpha-cells, and epinephrine (adrenalin). These hormones cause an increase in insulin resistance, raising your BG. In addition, these hormones trigger glycogenolysis and gluconeogenesis, adding stored or new glucose to your bloodstream.

The 2009 guideline Bg figures for a T2 to aim for are as follows:
Fasting (waking).................Between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 hrs after meals.................No more than 8.5 mmol/l.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
One of the most annoying things about Dawn Phenomenon is its unpredicatbility. I never know how much it's going to be, sometimes, I go down over night, sometimes it's up by as much as 1mmol.
I try to go to bed at about 5.3. I usually wake up at about the same.( I'm not an insulin user)

Handyníall

Dislikes
Anything that'll wake us up before noon on a weekend...
I used to combat this by snacking at night. Not anything particularly bad, I would cut an apple into little pieces before I went to bed, cover the bowl with clingfilm and then when I woke up at night, have a couple of pieces of apple. Seemed to work well.

Now I have a couple of shots of Southern Comfort before I go to bed... It's much more fun!