Is this blood sugar spike normal?

indianguyinuk

I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type2 in January (hba1c - 7.4) and I have been following strict diet and got my blood sugar level down to 4.5-5.5 range. I tried few chocolates/India sweets in the middle and didn't observe any big spike in my blood levels. But yesterday night I ate 3 Indian Samosas (A triangular savoury pastry fried in oil containing spiced potatoes and peas) and my blood sugar level shot upto 10.5 (I could feel a difference in my body). Today morning its back to normal 5.4. Just wondering why it didn't cause a spike when I tried chocolates/sweets but this much for samosas.

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The docs thinking drugs cure all
That depends on the amount of cocoa in the chocolates and sometimes they don’t bother the blood sugars but you now know that samosa do spike you.

I can have roast tatties but small amounts and can’t have mash or a spike

we are all different so what will affect you might not affect me.

do you eat to your meter as that can be a life line for us type 2s

Reactions: indianguyinuk

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Chocolate is high in fat which slows down the absorption of carbs.
This is why it is not recommended to be used as hypo treatment.
Potato and peas tend to be faster acting (although still not good for treating hypos).

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Chocolate can be high in fibre, as well as protein and fats - these can all somewhat slow down the process of glucose spiking. White flour however has a pretty high GI and can spike blood sugar (same with potatoes).

Everybody is different, but when I have an Indian meal/curry, I will generally opt for a Saagwala or a Madras (chicken or lamb), some cauliflower rice (cooked with butter), Mushroom Bahji and a couple of papadums with onion salad. The curry doesn't touch my BSG hardly and a couple of papadums doesn't seem to do much either.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But yesterday night I ate 3 Indian Samosas (A triangular savoury pastry fried in oil containing spiced potatoes and peas) and my blood sugar level shot upto 10.5

Love a samosa but as there essentially flour & potato that's carbs on carbs.
10.5 might be considered high, how long after did you test ?

Just wondering why it didn't cause a spike when I tried chocolates/sweets but this much for samosas.

Depends when you tested, typically 1 hour after eating will reveal the spike.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tested within 1-2 hours in both the cases

You could have caught the samosa at the peak of the spike & the chocolate in the trough of a crash.
Al lot can happen in those 60 mins.
BG is a dynamic thing

R.b5dfdf89768c0259d2df98577b878288

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type2 in January (hba1c - 7.4) and I have been following strict diet and got my blood sugar level down to 4.5-5.5 range. I tried few chocolates/India sweets in the middle and didn't observe any big spike in my blood levels. But yesterday night I ate 3 Indian Samosas (A triangular savoury pastry fried in oil containing spiced potatoes and peas) and my blood sugar level shot upto 10.5 (I could feel a difference in my body). Today morning its back to normal 5.4. Just wondering why it didn't cause a spike when I tried chocolates/sweets but this much for samosas.
I'd expect exactly the same sort of rise from samosas, unfortunately, as they are both tasty and on my banned list. I can't compare it with the impact of sweets or chocolate as I've never really eaten any of those since diagnosis, and ate very little beforehand. Different carbs affect us in different ways - you have to work out what your pattern is, and it could be totally unlike anyone else's.

Reactions: NatalieH