Is this is hypo??

MissyLA33

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all,

I'm a little bit worried, I've eaten normally today but at around 6 I started feeling really strange. I started feeling really shaky with a horrid cold sweat and felt that I needed to eat immediately. I just didn't feel right at all but can't really properly explain it. It took about an hour after eating for the feeling to go away completely. Are these signs of a hypo? and should I be worried and get hold of my doctor? :?

Forgot to add I used my last test strip this morning so annoyingly I couldn't test!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Certainly sounds like one. At least you recognised things weren't right and ate. Shame you couldn't test though.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

MissyLA33

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Should I be worried about this? I was only diagnosed a week and a half ago (at 28) and told I was a type 2 (probably because I'm carrying extra weight) I haven't seen a diabetic nurse yet as she's away on long term leave and so I've not had the discussion of whether I need tablets or insulin. I was just given a leaflet on healthy eating to gey on with whilst I waited for an appointment. When the doctor told me he asked if I had any symptoms. I said no because I was in a bit of shock and hadn't really thought about it. But this isn't the first time I've had this feeling, it's happened several times over the last two years

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Well, unless you can test when you feel these signs/symptoms, it's difficult to tell for sure but no, don't ignore them. If your body tells you to eat, go for it. Hopefully you'll learn more when you speak to your nurse again. To be honest though, if you are not on any blood glucose lowering meds, it's quite rare to have hypo's.

MissyLA33

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, that's what I thought. Maybe I should have my blood pressure checked! As far as I understood type 2's don't have hypos unless on certain types of meds or insulin. Is that true of type 1's as well? My mum is a type 1 who was misdiagnosed as a type 2 at 31 as she was overweight. She's convinced I'm a type 1 also because of my age etc but also because I had gestational diabetes with all 3 of my children

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Missy I get that too. I have mentioned it to the GP previously and she said my glucose was fine so it was happening before I was diagnosed prediabetic. It happened the other day, like you I felt hungry, dizzy and not quite right - not good when you are walking the dog on a track with noone else around. I also mentioned it the GP when I was diagnosed and she said with type 2 the bs levels rise so it wasn't a hypo.

silvergaz

How interesting, I had just the same today at around midday. I have just been diagnosed with T2 about 8 weeks ago, treating with diet and exercise. I had the dizzy head and shakes, felt the need to eat something. So I checked my glucose (BG) reading, it was 3.2, the lowest I have had, I ate 2 Belvita biscuits and a yoghurt, sat down for 15mins and started to feel a little better. My BG after breakfast this morning was 10.2, the highest it has been for some while, so was it just a very sudden drop that gave me the hypo effect or was it a hypo?

Silvergaz

MissyLA33

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Silvergaz, I've had it a few times over the last couple of years. I'm almost waiting for it to happen again so I can be ready with my glucose meter!

K

Kat100

Silvergaz, I have had low hypo,s a few times, my gp confirms it can happen even when on metformin, I don't believe it to be do rare....but others have different views but I am getting to understand my body more now....

zztopbanana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Animal cruelty, liars, cheats, thieves, discourtesy, egotism,
MissyLA33

Well they're certainly symptomatic of a hypo - I'm type 1 and have had enough of them to be able to say that. For me, initially I would start to 'rattle' just under 6, but that's eased a bit now and I'm usually not so bad down to 5.2 but that's still high. That said, I'm not always able to test - many, many times, I've been shaking that much I've been unable to unzip the meter case and only just managed to open a sandwich box to get something down sharpish.

I think it's OK to say that you shouldn't run out of test strips - how can you identify a trend without them? - if they're on repeat, get them from a hospital if it's urgent.

I know a lot of people struggle to get them in sufficient quantity but I've been fortunate in that respect. Mind, I test between 8 and 12 times a day, so I use a fair few.

Whatever you do, don't under-estimate the significance of a hypo - there is nothing trivial about it and there is nothing good it. It's like pain; it's a warning, and those who treat it lightly, or, worse, ignore it, do so at their peril.