Is this level of support normal for a first time pumper

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I was connected for the first time to an insulin pump (Medtronic 640g and the matching CGM) this morning.
A 2.5hr appointment with the delightful Diabetic Educator.

Texts before and after each meal and at bedtime (10:30pm) and a few emails in the mix. This will continue for at least a week.

I find this amazing. I know I have an amazing team GP, Endo and DE. My Endo and GP have given me their personal mobile numbers and told me to call them night or day if an emergency. I securely destroyed them as if I have an emergency I will call the emergency number for an ambulance for anyone visiting Oz it's (000) 112 from a mobile also works. Sorry you guys in the UK we stole her from you, she has a very English accent.

Although early days (well less than a day) my insulin consumption has reduced dramatically.

Reactions: Books1

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Chowie Well done on getting your pump - your contact sounds great :)

I would definitely agree that since I started pumping that I get much more regular contact with my nurse. When I got started I was in touch every week on the phone, however your level of care sounds outstanding. Since my ratios were finely tuned it's now monthly so I download results onto Carelink every month and we talk on email to see if any tweaks need to be made.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good job! The level of support depends on how much experience you have with diabetes, how much you know already, and how quickly you learn. I was told that most people in my area are put into hospital to get their pump, however my training just took one morning and then I was sent home and did not get any further education/discussion. It worked out fine for me and was certainly preferable to going to hospital!