Is This Normal?

PippinSlim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm new to type 2, seeing the diabetic nurse tomorrow for the first time. My question is related to my physical reaction to high bg. I have, on 2 occasions, within the last month had a small piece of gluten free cake/ brownie which has raised by bg over 10 two hours after eating. My physical reaction has been rapid heart beat, pain in chest, shaky and generally feeling shocking. This has been both times, is it a normal reaction?
I'm B12 deficient & hypothyroid too.

Many thanks in advance.

Reactions: 2 people

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi there. Welcome to the forum. I would say that that reaction is normal for you and it sounds very unpleasant indeed. It is your body's way of telling you it can't handle that food. Are you taking medication for the thyroid and B12? The only way you will prevent going through that in the future is to avoid the high carb foods that send your blood sugar up. If you really must have cake or bread do a recipe search on the forum or google low carb baking. I would go with recipes off this forum as they are tested by real people. Most have an almond or coconut flour base and should not send your BS into orbit like that. I will tag @daisy1 to send you some information that I highly recommend you read carefully and follow the links as well, it will be worth your time and answer many questions.

Reactions: 5 people

PippinSlim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi and thank you! I made the brownies yesterday using almond flour, coconut sugar and green & Blacks 70% chocolate. The recipe wasn't off here though. Yes I have B12 injections every 3 months & 100mcg Levothyroxine daily. I've been on metabolic balance (a program created based on 36 blood tests) for 8 weeks with a weight loss of 25 pounds. It was the results of the blood tests that showed high bg 9.1, cholesterol 7.2, ggt 814 as well a 7 more out of range tests. Since then my carbs have been from specifically chosen fruit & veg and 6 rice cakes a week (I also have to weigh everything). 1 meal a week I get to eat what I like, so it is genrally a lamb biriani, with the brownie addition last night. My fasting bg has come down from 9.1 to 5.9
I did read through the introductory info daisy sent when I first posted and do refer back to it. I feel like there is such a lack of action from my GP waiting so many weeks in between blood tests and appointments.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you react to rice, rice cakes and biriani? I find rice does me in, so just don't have it.
Good work on the FBGs.
If a small piece can give you a 10 after 2 hours I would suggest that if you are going to continue eating carbie items like you've described it would be an idea to test 1, 2, 3 and 4 hours afterwards to see how long the lag is. It would be informative to what your response is to a shot of carbs.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well it sounds like you are doing good to me. The most important thing is eating to your meter. If a food spikes you don't eat it. I can't eat any sugar and coconut sugar is still sugar. I also can't eat rice cakes. Your fasting number at 5.9 is very good though so you can probably tolerate more carbs than me.

PippinSlim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So far the rice cakes have given me no problems but I guess the BirianI is a no go from now on.
I had no idea that I could react this badly. I guess weighing everything and sticking to my food list is working and anything off that is sending me loopy! It's crazy, spending most of my life eating junk without having instant reactions but I guess the result of that is becomming type 2!

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So far the rice cakes have given me no problems but I guess the BirianI is a no go from now on.
I had no idea that I could react this badly. I guess weighing everything and sticking to my food list is working and anything off that is sending me loopy! It's crazy, spending most of my life eating junk without having instant reactions but I guess the result of that is becomming type 2!

That's what the food manufacturers can do and don't appear to care the damage they are causing... it seems "Low Fat" is the worst thing that could happen to those wanting to lose weight...

It does take time to rewire ourselves but we are worth it.
:)

PippinSlim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've just had my first nurse appointment and I must say I'm delighted with my results. She was astounded too! 21/7/16 my HbA1c was 51, I was tested again on 9/8/16 and I'm down to 43. So she is happy for me to continue with my Metabolic Balance programme and have follow up bloods in 3 months. My cunning plan to stay medication free is working. Let's hope when I see Dr tomorrow, the diagnosis of my ongoing chest pains & weakness is down to stress and nothing sinister.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just had my first nurse appointment and I must say I'm delighted with my results. She was astounded too! 21/7/16 my HbA1c was 51, I was tested again on 9/8/16 and I'm down to 43. So she is happy for me to continue with my Metabolic Balance programme and have follow up bloods in 3 months. My cunning plan to stay medication free is working. Let's hope when I see Dr tomorrow, the diagnosis of my ongoing chest pains & weakness is down to stress and nothing sinister.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow
Good work Agent Pip.
:)