Is this normal?

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, would really appreciate some advice.
For those who don’t know my history, I was diagnosed T2 on 12 April 2018. I found this forum :) yay. And have been following suggestions to lower my BS levels and lose weight through LCHF diet. I currently do Atkins style - less than 20g a day and it has helped lower my bs from initially 13, as diagnosis to 6.5 2 weeks later and 3 weeks since roughly, around 5.1 fbs. I have also lost 27 lbs in less than 5 weeks - nearly 2 stones. My starting weight was 18.8

I have recently been feeling very lethargic, hands and feet tingling (neuropathy repairing?) bones achy.
Is this normal??

I don’t feel hungry really but I think this is down to 1x 500 mg metformin I have been prescribed. Although my endo doc recommended it should be increased to 2 x 500 mg a day. As my fbs and general blood sugar has been consistent for over 3 weeks I don’t think this is necessary and my GP is supporting this decision. I am also on taking the following medications- 1x 7.5 zopiclone, 1x diazepam 5 mg at night, atorvastatin 40 mg, multibionic probiotic multi vitamins, fish oil supplements

I generally am eating just dinner/ late breakfast consisting of - 1 small slice hovis granary toasted bread (15g) 3 fried in olive oil eggs, 5-6 steamed button top mushrooms, small leafy salad, some mayonnaise and eggs garnished with grated cheese and smooth pepper. 1-2 Hartley sugar free jelly with double cream. Also as a snack of some walnuts or tablespoon of prawns and sauce ( homemade with mayo and dash of Heinz reduced salt sugar)
I used to eat 1 advarcado and prawns and small salad as well but not hungry enough now, plus not on 2 x metformin so not eating for tablets.
I also still drink a lot, 3 litres a day at least, mainly volvic flavoured sugar free water, plus small glass of ff milk if bones hurt. Occasional cup of tea with ff milk.

Last night had a really bad night - I woke up consistently and ended up not getting up until 2.30pm with a 18 1/2 fasting blood of 4.0! I ate above meal and my readings were 5.5 1 hour and 5 after 2 hours.
I am very overweight and have tried to become more active by walking when possible, the last 2 days I walked 2,500 steps then 3,500 steps.
I know you are not doctors but would really appreciate your opinions on this. Thank you :)
Sorry for long post x

Reactions: Freema

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It could be your Atorvastatin. Aching bones and muscles are known side effects, as with all statins.
Yes I’ve heard there are bad side effects from statins, so maybe, hopefully, this is what it is.
I was always told you can’t stop taking them once you start :/

I’m seeing my DN Monday so will run stopping them past her. But in the meantime I think I will not take them, the agony is unbearable and paracetamol does nothing for the pain for me.

Thanks Bluetit!

I wasn’t sure if it was because I was losing weight too fast, not eating enough, or just my body adjusting to lower sugar levels.
My eyesight is no better yet though, and my eye sockets hurt, weird! and my feet are constantly cold also.
Also I’m kind of concerned by the raging thirst I still suffer from. I guess it takes a while for everything to adapt and settle down after a drastic diet change?

Thanks again, you’re a star!

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If it is the Atorvastatin causing your pain and you wish to stop taking it, even temporarily, I have seen or heard nothing that would indicate that this is dangerous.
I took Atorvastatin for seven days. On day five I had horrible pain in my upper arms and shoulders so much so that I stopped taking it on day seven. Hope you feel better soon.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I took Atorvastatin and Metformin for five weeks and went through agonies of all sorts, pains in muscles and joints itching all over, unable to go out after taking the tablets my memory was affected too. I stopped taking them in 2016 but it took quite a while to get back to what passes for normal for me.
It shook my husband so much that he stopped taking the statin he was prescribed - one of us has to stay sane.

Diane60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.Petaluk.
I too have been diagnosed just over a year. Lost three stones and now size 10! Statins were given to me on diagnosis (40mg).
Similar to you I had horrendous aching leg bones and was sure that the statins were eating my muscle and fat supply causing all this pain. Doctor doubted this and i temporarily halted the statin for myself. Finally, after two months I was pain free.
He wants me to restart statin, at a lower dose.......to prove to me that they are ok, but I am not too keen.
Good luck with your meeting with the DN, but in my opinion you will need to be firm and don’t let them tell you that things will settle.

Reactions: Freema and ringi

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it is the Atorvastatin causing your pain and you wish to stop taking it, even temporarily, I have seen or heard nothing that would indicate that this is dangerous.
I took Atorvastatin for seven days. On day five I had horrible pain in my upper arms and shoulders so much so that I stopped taking it on day seven. Hope you feel better soon.
Thank you :)

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I took Atorvastatin and Metformin for five weeks and went through agonies of all sorts, pains in muscles and joints itching all over, unable to go out after taking the tablets my memory was affected too. I stopped taking them in 2016 but it took quite a while to get back to what passes for normal for me.
It shook my husband so much that he stopped taking the statin he was prescribed - one of us has to stay sane.
Thanks for your story :) glad you recovered!

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.Petaluk.
I too have been diagnosed just over a year. Lost three stones and now size 10! Statins were given to me on diagnosis (40mg).
Similar to you I had horrendous aching leg bones and was sure that the statins were eating my muscle and fat supply causing all this pain. Doctor doubted this and i temporarily halted the statin for myself. Finally, after two months I was pain free.
He wants me to restart statin, at a lower dose.......to prove to me that they are ok, but I am not too keen.
Good luck with your meeting with the DN, but in my opinion you will need to be firm and don’t let them tell you that things will settle.
Thanks I will definitely try stopping them for a while, hope you can get by without them too!

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Petaluk There is no reason why people shouldn't stop taking them. It is not dangerous. Your nurse can only offer them. You decide whether to take them or not.
I’ve been taking them for a long time, possibly 8 years or more ( can’t remember :/ ) sorry should have said. I don’t know if this makes any difference?