Is this what a liver dump feels like?

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone!

First, i feel the need to apologise. This is my second post in as many days. Moderators must be sick of seeing my face all over the forum :angelic:

But my grumble today is... liver dumping! How does it make you feel?

My readings have been slightly down overnight, i've woken up a couple of times and treated oncoming-but-not-yet-hypos. In the mid 4 ranges. I've blearily woken up at 6.3 (hurrah!) but feel rubbish. Shaky, sicky and disoriented. This is in line with how i used to feel after a reeeeally bad hypo (where i'd be unconscious on the floor). Not had one of those for a long time. But an hour later i was 3.7. Not fun.

I can only blame it on a liver dump due to ongoing low-ish blood sugars overnight. I had no carbs for tea last night and i've found that has a big effect on my night time readings. Obviously this means i need to reduce my basal but that's a given. I was fine before i went to bed.

Any advice or more grumbles would be greatly appreciated!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone!

First, i feel the need to apologise. This is my second post in as many days. Moderators must be sick of seeing my face all over the forum :angelic:

But my grumble today is... liver dumping! How does it make you feel?

My readings have been slightly down overnight, i've woken up a couple of times and treated oncoming-but-not-yet-hypos. In the mid 4 ranges. I've blearily woken up at 6.3 (hurrah!) but feel rubbish. Shaky, sicky and disoriented. This is in line with how i used to feel after a reeeeally bad hypo (where i'd be unconscious on the floor). Not had one of those for a long time. But an hour later i was 3.7. Not fun.

I can only blame it on a liver dump due to ongoing low-ish blood sugars overnight. I had no carbs for tea last night and i've found that has a big effect on my night time readings. Obviously this means i need to reduce my basal but that's a given. I was fine before i went to bed.

Any advice or more grumbles would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Shannon! You poor thing. Since getting my libre (about which I haven't shut up since) I noticed that my levels overnight were constantly dipping low (between 3.5 and low 4s). Not enough to wake me up but enough to leave me feeling headachey in the mornings. Over the last few years I have realised that it is impossible to change your basal to an amount that 100% keeps your levels steady day & night and that lots of tweaks to it worked to combat some readings during the day but then impacted on others negatively. So, I have also realised that when I have no/very few carbs in my evening meal then my night levels are always hovering low. If I were to change my basal to combat this I know that the daytime levels would also change and I am happy with them as they are. I find that it is much easier to simply have a carby snack just before bed (if my evening meal was low carb), say around 10 to 15 carbs. This keeps my levels around 5 instead of around 4 so acts as a buffer if my levels do decide to fall. Interestingly, a 30g pack of salted peanuts does the job of keeping me stable around 5 all night! I know you shouldn't have to eat to match your insulin but this night time snack is a small way to solve a problem...not to mention a tasty one. x

Reactions: Mad76 and Shannon27

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Shannon! You poor thing. Since getting my libre (about which I haven't shut up since) I noticed that my levels overnight were constantly dipping low (between 3.5 and low 4s). Not enough to wake me up but enough to leave me feeling headachey in the mornings. Over the last few years I have realised that it is impossible to change your basal to an amount that 100% keeps your levels steady day & night and that lots of tweaks to it worked to combat some readings during the day but then impacted on others negatively. So, I have also realised that when I have no/very few carbs in my evening meal then my night levels are always hovering low. If I were to change my basal to combat this I know that the daytime levels would also change and I am happy with them as they are. I find that it is much easier to simply have a carby snack just before bed (if my evening meal was low carb), say around 10 to 15 carbs. This keeps my levels around 5 instead of around 4 so acts as a buffer if my levels do decide to fall. Interestingly, a 30g pack of salted peanuts does the job of keeping me stable around 5 all night! I know you shouldn't have to eat to match your insulin but this night time snack is a small way to solve a problem...not to mention a tasty one. x
Hi @KK123 !
Thanks for sharing this!
This is exactly what is happening with me. My daytime readings are manageable and predictable but i drop a lot at night and especially first thing in the morning. I try to go to bed with my bgs around 10 so i don't go hypo, at that i'll typically wake up at 5. I have to say though, if i eat salted peanuts before bed i'll be waking up in the night absolutely gagging for a drink haha!

Reactions: Mad76

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @KK123 !
Thanks for sharing this!
This is exactly what is happening with me. My daytime readings are manageable and predictable but i drop a lot at night and especially first thing in the morning. I try to go to bed with my bgs around 10 so i don't go hypo, at that i'll typically wake up at 5. I have to say though, if i eat salted peanuts before bed i'll be waking up in the night absolutely gagging for a drink haha!

That must be hard trying to get your BGs up to 10 before bed, how do you do that when you don't have a carby eveing meal? Try the snack (it might not work of course) but def worth a try! It may be different for me because I think I am still in the honeymoon period. x

Reactions: Mad76

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That must be hard trying to get your BGs up to 10 before bed, how do you do that when you don't have a carby eveing meal? Try the snack (it might not work of course) but def worth a try! It may be different for me because I think I am still in the honeymoon period. x
It is very easy to get my readings up to 10 before bed ha! Although like you say, its harder after a low carby tea. I tend to have a fairly milky brew in the evenings so i don't inject for that if i've had a low carb tea, if i've had potatoes, pasta, rice etc i'll include it but round down my ratios. Hope that makes sense!
I might try the bedtime snacking instead of the brew, even if its just a few peanuts haha!
How long have you been diabetic? I don't even remember the honeymoon period for me, i was 4 or 5 :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Moderators must be sick of seeing my face all over the forum :angelic:

Not a chance - that’s what the forum is here for :)

Which basal are you on ?

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a chance - that’s what the forum is here for :)

Which basal are you on ?
Ooh goody :)
35u Tresiba. It's a lot but i can manage it during the day. Night time needs a high before bed reading but i can predict it.

Reactions: Juicyj

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You made me smile with that. Out of boredom I did some calculating. Turns out you have posted an average of a bit over 8 posts a month since joining. I made the same calculation for myself and got about 162 posts a month :wideyed:
Guess who needs to get a life :angelic:
Besides, you have a lovely face so seeing it is a joy, and you always have friendly posts which are nice to read :)

Reactions: KK123

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry tresiba was my thinking if you were using something else - have you tried any basal testing though, as you may be on too much but only doing some fasting tests will confirm for sure ?

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry tresiba was my thinking if you were using something else - have you tried any basal testing though, as you may be on too much but only doing some fasting tests will confirm for sure ?
Haven't tried basal testing yet - i need to plan ahead! But i'm eating quite low carb at the minute so should be easy enough :)

Reactions: Juicyj

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You made me smile with that. Out of boredom I did some calculating. Turns out you have posted an average of a bit over 8 posts a month since joining. I made the same calculation for myself and got about 162 posts a month :wideyed:
Guess who needs to get a life :angelic:
Besides, you have a lovely face so seeing it is a joy, and you always have friendly posts which are nice to read :)
Considering i had 2-3 years off the forum, that should go up to about 30 ha! Still nothing on you, but your posts always make me smile :)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have a couple of digestives b4 bed if my readings are around the 5ish mark and this seems to keep me fairly stable as i myself dip overnight :)

Reactions: Shannon27

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is very easy to get my readings up to 10 before bed ha! Although like you say, its harder after a low carby tea. I tend to have a fairly milky brew in the evenings so i don't inject for that if i've had a low carb tea, if i've had potatoes, pasta, rice etc i'll include it but round down my ratios. Hope that makes sense!
I might try the bedtime snacking instead of the brew, even if its just a few peanuts haha!
How long have you been diabetic? I don't even remember the honeymoon period for me, i was 4 or 5 :)

Hi there, late onset for me, I was 56 and it's been nearly 3 years so I try to be careful when 'advising' others because I am conscious of the very many differences. x

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, late onset for me, I was 56 and it's been nearly 3 years so I try to be careful when 'advising' others because I am conscious of the very many differences. x
Everyone has their own methods and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for others :) but thank you for your suggestions!