Is Walking Best To Lower Bs

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I normally go to gym and life weight or do some cardio by playing tennis. I always come back with higher BS and they stay high for hours.

For last two days I have started walking instead of any gym or tennis and I have seen a very positive impact on BS.

It came down by more than 1 mmol/l on both occasions. I didn't do any fast walk just gentle stroll. I started around early 6s and after walk it was low 5s on both occasions.

Anyone else have such experience and is it better to walk then do gym or tennis.

N

Reactions: bigsi1984

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
HI @nsh2111 I try to walk every evening after my main meal. It has been suggested that 10 minutes brisk walk after every meal is good for BS but I find that I tend to walk around most of the day!
I walk briskly and it reduces my BG. If I jog then my BG goes up! I haven't tried the gym.... To work out what is best for you, then test test test.

Bondy68

I have type 1 and I have found going for a 45 min walk after eating has really helped low blood sugar levels after a meal. I do walk 3 miles a day. I loved going to the gym but what ever I did my sugar levels dropped to dangerous levels so stopped going and now walk more and it's helped alot

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If I find that I may be going too high, walking helps brings it down enough to prevent the rise.
I have read that going for a stroll fifteen minutes after eating for fifteen minutes can cause a drop a full mmol.

However, if I do anything too strenuous for more than a few minutes my glucose levels rise.

If it does help, walking is really good exercise. Especially us crinklies!

Reactions: nsh2111 and hankjam

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it seems that I need to start walking instead of running. May be I walk to gym, lift weights and then walk back. Will be good experiment

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Walking works very well to bring my blood sugars down as and when necessary. On a more than 10 miles walking day, (today has been 18 miles) I need no fast acting insulin for breakfast or lunch.

I don't do any other kind of formal exercise, but gardening also lowers my blood sugars fast!

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes it seems that I need to start walking instead of running. May be I walk to gym, lift weights and then walk back. Will be good experiment
When I experiment like that (I shoot at tournaments), I test my BG far more frequently - but you do need to test on a day you aren't exercising so that you have a comparison.

D

Deleted Account

There are two things that happen when we exercise; our bodies become more efficient at using insulin and our livers release glucose to give us the energy we need.
I forget the science but when we do stop-start type of exercise such as weights or tennis, the balance is more towards the liver releasing glucose so our BG rises.
However, due to the liver releasing glucose during exercise, there is less available to release over the next 24 to 48 hours so there is likely to be a net reduction of BG over the next few days.

Reactions: Alison Campbell