Issue with Libre - blank screen

x Carol x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In answer to the questions just posed, Librelink is reading automatically and without scanning. My smart watch is a F57L, just search for that in eBay. I bought the watch because the advertising that I had seen said that it measured blood sugar non-intrusively (I suppose that means no needles) and it does shine a very powerful light into my wrist when I try it but the readings are dangerously inaccurate. However I have kept it for the other functions that it has. I hope that that helps.
I've just ordered the same watch. Thanks for the recommendation!

Reactions: curly

x Carol x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm new to scanning with phones and have been using the reader. I've just bought an iphone SE 2022 and downloaded the updated app. It doesn't scan continuously though. I have to manually scan the sensor. I wonder if this is because I started it with the reader first? Is anyone else using both?

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anybody else noticed you get a smiling emoji on shuggar if you stay in range for 24 hours?

Attachments

• 03D9D553-5F51-40A4-A149-CA2DDE4F022E.png
    03D9D553-5F51-40A4-A149-CA2DDE4F022E.png
    375.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Agree
Reactions: curly and Rachox

13h

It’s really important that libre send you replacements for their errors. The NHS should not have to pay again. It does take 3-4 days to arrive though but it probably costs the NHS £50 per sensor if not more. I self funded before they were available on prescription. I also had one fall off when on holiday and reported, stupidly forgot to bring BG back up or a spare. I went to buy a BG kit and with strips was very expensive. Sainsbury had a private pay libre and charged me £70
Hi I contacted libre customer service , they sent a long list of detailed questions, which put me off, I don't think they want to deal with, I might post the faulty one with the package, finally days later my gp manager ordered new ones but only on the normal day they allowed to order. So been using finger prick - ouchy but important .

Is it true gps only allowed so many a year ? or 2 in one month as 2 is for 28days , which creates a shortfall on months that are 30 and 31 days. I had this issue with my mother's pressure tablets when trying to order , the supply per month was 28 days. A hospital consultant said to give her extra tablets , but gp surgery won't supply more!.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You should be able to order 2 sensors every 28 days, and reorder your mum's blood pressure tablets every 28 days. If the surgery won't allow you to reorder your mum's tablets every 28 days, I'd tell them you need an urgent phone appointment to explain why. Are you ordering them online, because you should be able to order them a few days early that way.

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m still going well, in the main, with both Libre and Shuggah running alongside each other, both with Bluetooth enabled. I lose readings on the tennis court, even though my phone is by the net. It seems that outside you really can’t go far from your phone without suffering signal loss. Scanning the sensor at change of ends mainly works but not always and I can’t think why sometimes it will not even scan. It takes a good few minutes once I’ve finished and have my phone with me, before everything bursts back into life. Yesterday, rather strangely, I suffered two periods of signal loss while at home with my phone never leaving my side. I scanned the sensor quite a few times, and although that gave a reading it did not restore continuous readings. I then stopped trying, but within about 15 minutes, it all started working again! Since then it’s been back to working all the time. I’m certainly not looking forward to changing my sensor in a week’s time. Abbott have really got to get a full grip of this, whilst my situation is generally very good these dropouts are not. It’s also a great disappointment that when I need it the most, when exercising, it fails.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
@Jaylee
The document you referenced above states:-
1690131237755.png

And,
1690131305016.png

And
1690131404597.png

millat

I am not 100% sure about this but will give my perspective anyway. Since a security update to my android phone on June 23rd 2023 the low energy Bluetooth communication between the sensor and my phone has not been working for more that a few minutes following a scan. This results in a loss of signal message which is initiated by the LibreLink App on the phone (having lost contact with the sensor, but not due to the sensor). This is exactly the same problem we experienced from November last year through to February this year when an Android security update stopped this function working Abbott finally updated the LibreLink app in February to fix this problem. Since the latest update to LibreLink which allows sensor data to be communicated every minute to your phone the problem with the low energy Bluetooth comms has become even more evident. The start of the 'gap' is due to this loss of signal between the sensor and the app ( a problem with the app, not the sensor). As you rightly state, on scanning the sensor (which uses NFC not Bluetooth) the information held in the sensor updates the app and the 'gap' consequently disappears. The loss of high and low glucose alarms is much more important. I am now experiencing more hypos and episodes of high glucose as I am not getting early notifications. i set my trigger points at levels which allow me to avoid these situations by being able to take proactive action to stop my sugar levels going to low or high. This loss of signal issue was fixed last February by Abbot developers. However, with this happening twice in the last 12 months I am seriously asking whether such important medical devices should be hosted on mobile phones, whether they be Apple or Android, as Abbott cannot control phone OS updates and the consequent problems this produces for the LibreLink app. The consequences of these alarms not working could be catastrophic for some individuals. Members raised this as a Yellow Card with NHS last time. Perhaps this should be considered again.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Changed sensor mid morning
Libre reading 4 over glucose meter
Turned Bluetooth off & tried to connect with shuggar, took 4 attempts but worked eventually
Unfortunately libre kept saying signal loss so had to delete app & reinstall it again
Had signal loss 5 times today & have to keep turning the Bluetooth off & on again
Hometime libre says 5.7, shuggah 4.6 & meter 4.3
Hope they get it fixed & don’t have to mess about like this every 2 weeks

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

curly

Changed sensor mid morning
Libre reading 4 over glucose meter
Turned Bluetooth off & tried to connect with shuggar, took 4 attempts but worked eventually
Unfortunately libre kept saying signal loss so had to delete app & reinstall it again
Had signal loss 5 times today & have to keep turning the Bluetooth off & on again
Hometime libre says 5.7, shuggah 4.6 & meter 4.3
Hope they get it fixed & don’t have to mess about like this every 2 weeks
Yes, my Libre just says sensor loss all the time now and sends repeated annoying alarms to my phone to tell me that.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Mine is OK today but last week a message appeared on the app saying next time I change my libre sensor 2 my readings will automatically update every minute.

PBarks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, I have my iPhone in front of me as I write this. It is working with my watch without a problem so I am looking at the settings that I am using: Bluetooth is on and shows a link to the watch and the Libre 2 sensor, amongst other, irrelevant, items. Staying in Settings and moving on to Notifications I have looked at the setting for H Band. Incidentally, but vitally, H Band is the app that you need on your 'phone for the watch. In Notifications the setting for H Band shows that notifications are allowed, the banner style is shown as temporary and the sounds and badges are turned on. Alerts are set as activated for lock screen, notification centre and banners. 'Show previews' is set as 'always' and the 'notification grouping' is set as 'automatic'. By the way, don't ask me what all of this means, I'm simply reading the settings on my iPhone in the hope that if you copy them all will be resolved. In Notifications the settings for LibreLink are that notifications are allowed and 'Critical Alerts' and 'Time-Sesitive Notifications' are both turned on. All the rest of the settings are the same as the ones for H Band. Finally in Notifications I have looked at Shuggah and the settings are exactly the same as H Band. In the Shuggah app itself I have gone into its own settings, I think the relevant settings are: 'Show BG in Notifications' and 'Show BG in the App Badge' are turned and I have set the Notification Interval to 15 minutes. In the H Band app I have clicked on 'more' in the Dashboard and opened its settings (the little cog wheel symbol); In notifications the relevant one that is turned on is at the bottom of the list and is ' Other apps'. 'Pair device' is turned on. I don't think that anything else in H Band is relevant. I suspect that the important setting is that 'Other apps' is turned on in Notifications. I hope that these settings can be replicated on your phone, I use an iPhone and I don't know what all of the above would look like on something different. I will log in again before I go to bed tonight and I'll take another look tomorrow morning. Please let me know how you get on.

Reactions: Antje77 and curly

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, my Libre just says sensor loss all the time now and sends repeated annoying alarms to my phone to tell me that.
I’ve had to keep turning the Bluetooth for libre on & off, now working, but still reading higher than shuggar or glucose meter

curly

OK, I have my iPhone in front of me as I write this. It is working with my watch without a problem so I am looking at the settings that I am using: Bluetooth is on and shows a link to the watch and the Libre 2 sensor, amongst other, irrelevant, items. Staying in Settings and moving on to Notifications I have looked at the setting for H Band. Incidentally, but vitally, H Band is the app that you need on your 'phone for the watch. In Notifications the setting for H Band shows that notifications are allowed, the banner style is shown as temporary and the sounds and badges are turned on. Alerts are set as activated for lock screen, notification centre and banners. 'Show previews' is set as 'always' and the 'notification grouping' is set as 'automatic'. By the way, don't ask me what all of this means, I'm simply reading the settings on my iPhone in the hope that if you copy them all will be resolved. In Notifications the settings for LibreLink are that notifications are allowed and 'Critical Alerts' and 'Time-Sesitive Notifications' are both turned on. All the rest of the settings are the same as the ones for H Band. Finally in Notifications I have looked at Shuggah and the settings are exactly the same as H Band. In the Shuggah app itself I have gone into its own settings, I think the relevant settings are: 'Show BG in Notifications' and 'Show BG in the App Badge' are turned and I have set the Notification Interval to 15 minutes. In the H Band app I have clicked on 'more' in the Dashboard and opened its settings (the little cog wheel symbol); In notifications the relevant one that is turned on is at the bottom of the list and is ' Other apps'. 'Pair device' is turned on. I don't think that anything else in H Band is relevant. I suspect that the important setting is that 'Other apps' is turned on in Notifications. I hope that these settings can be replicated on your phone, I use an iPhone and I don't know what all of the above would look like on something different. I will log in again before I go to bed tonight and I'll take another look tomorrow morning. Please let me know how you get on.
You are so kind to go to this trouble! Thank you very much - the culprit was ‘other apps’ in the H Band app notifications. All working now.

PBarks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having recommended the watch I felt that I had to try and help get it working. I'm glad that we managed it. I am sure that you will find the ability to simply glance at your wrist to keep up to date a real advantage especially when you are driving. I have the notification period set to 15 minutes but you can have it as frequent as you like by altering the setting in the Shuggah app.

Reactions: curly and kingsmac

holdem

Having recommended the watch I felt that I had to try and help get it working. I'm glad that we managed it. I am sure that you will find the ability to simply glance at your wrist to keep up to date a real advantage especially when you are driving. I have the notification period set to 15 minutes but you can have it as frequent as you like by altering the setting in the Shuggah app.
i have set up my phone with calendar events to be in my home screen at all time but its very hit and miss. will work sometimes then not at all for a day or two. It seemingly updates every 10 mins when it works
however i went on a long drive on the weekend and plugged in my iphone and had it on apple car play ( think thats what its called) and in the bottom left was a 1 minute updated blood reading which was brill.

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve had to keep turning the Bluetooth for libre on & off, now working, but still reading higher than shuggar or glucose meter
You may recall from an earlier post of mine that my testing of both apps against finger pricks showed that Shuggah was generally very close to what finger pricks showed, while Libre was between 0.4 and 1.0 higher. This only changed when BG was rising or falling quickly. Then the gap between Shuggah and Libre narrows until, particularly at low values, Libre became closest to finger pricks. I recall someone else pointing out that the way the apps read the sensor varies because of the way they work. Now that I know this, I am able to interpret the data and act accordingly, either injecting rapid insulin when going high and drinking fruit juice when going low. The alarms on Libre I set to give me early warnings and then readjust them each time they go off. I now feel I have better BG control than I have ever had. I’m due to change my sensor again next Sunday morning and I’m not looking forward to this after the issues I had with a new sensor on the Sunday after the updated Libre app was available. I am hoping that turning off Bluetooth on Libre, once my new sensor is active, will then help me to get the sensor to connect to Shuggah rather more quickly than last time. Once Shuggah is connected I can then turn Bluetooth back on for Libre, and hopefully my current situation, of both apps working perfectly side-by-side, will return. I live in hope!

Last edited: