Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs
Ketones
Hello,

often after I change my infusion set I get highs with ketones until I have a big bolus with pen and I change set (then, I get better after some hours). Removing the infusion set I have some blood coming out of the insertion site.

I summarized that I might be having hit a capillary and the blood pressure is interfering with the set,

Anybody else is experiencing this ? Did you come up with any solutions ?

I am using AccuCheck Spirit Combo - FlexLink teflon infusions set (but I also tried TenderLink and Others) and I have a type 1 under good control, having many controls a day.

Emanuele

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Do you change your set before a meal so the meal bolus goes through, do you double check you have no bubbles in the tubing and do you remember to fill your cannula?
If you have problems with a particular part of your body for infusion sites then try else where. Different lengths of cannula are worth trying as well as different angles 90 45 etc.

lelebrian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs
Ketones
Do you change your set before a meal so the meal bolus goes through, do you double check you have no bubbles in the tubing and do you remember to fill your cannula?
If you have problems with a particular part of your body for infusion sites then try else where. Different lengths of cannula are worth trying as well as different angles 90 45 etc.

Thanks CarbsRok,
I check all of that, fill the cannula well, move the infusion site from belly to back, and in all the sites I have the same problem. Sometimes everything goes wonderfully, sometimes it goes completely wrong. When I remove the set, some blood comes out: the more blood, the biggest the highs and ketones (and fastest, sometimes 1-2 hours after change). usually I feel a little pain when inserting and change it immediately, but sometimes I don't feel anything.
I also tried TenderLink which inserts at 45 degrees with same problems.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you using your stomach? This area always bled like that for me as well as having scar tissue so I stopped using it. Have you tried another area and still got the same issue?

Also are you using too long a cannula length and therefore going too deep?

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you do not mention whether you have used the metal sets?? - i had far too many problems with the teflon sets, years ago, and i discontinued , and then found the metal sets ok - i now find even the metal ones a bit more of a problem but i would recommend them for at least the first 8 years if you have not managed with the teflon....