Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I too am recently widowed, and in fact I have found cooking for one easier. Because I am severely disabled I mostly use a small slow cooker and microwave. I do freeze and/or refrigerate As I usually cook enough for 2 meals. I cannot use the oven, and find pans on stovetop quite difficult. I have reduced portion sizes and I also have vastly reduced the amount of carbs I have particularly rice, pasta, potatoes and white flour. As a result I have lost 3 st and have been able to stop insulin, so now only taking oral meds. My HbA1c last December had actually gone down to 32. Good Housekeeping has a cookbook called Easy Cooking for One which I have found helpful.

People would kill for that figure @gillytee31 .... be good :)

Dave006

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
People would kill for that figure @gillytee31 .... be good :)

Pleased to read of your improvement.. I’m a Type 2 and on the LCHF lifestyle. I’ve been following the UK Dr. David Unwin.. he’s great.
I eat minimum cruciferous vegetables, free range eggs, grass fed meat and cook with Ghee, coconut oil and use grass fed butter on my home made Hemp seed bread. I do eat fresh fish, Oysters, avocado and very little berries at times. I keep away from buying pre-packed food. The preservatives, additives and GMO are the cause of ailments nowadays.

Rayvon

I agree whole heartedly with you...The NHS in UK seems to have gone down a road of reactive not proactive...You see a GP initially when diagnosed they prescribe medication and that's it, after that it's a diabetic nurse every 6 months if your lucky...if you need to see a GP for any other ailments it's an attitude of your diabetic what you expect...too me a much better approach would be no medication for first 6 months but access to an intensive fitness regime and to a dietician to advise and teach healthy eating...if need be a 3 month bootcamp regime..a follow up in 6 months for readings....I myself have been Type 2 for 23 years... have always been relatively active and in gym a lot.my downfall has been physical injuries over the years back, hips etc and pain during which time I have been inactive..NHS seems powerless to adjust to these situations and my bg readings become erratic.Anyway my point is, COVID and a back and hip operation have rendered me unable to travel for 4 years but in October I travelled to Thailand, made contact with a Thai nurse friend who immediately put me on a low carb diet and a fitness regime of 2 hours every day in gym and monitored me and bg readings 3 times a week...to the point where my readings are consistent every day.. between 4.1 and 9 at the highest...I virtually can eat anything now including carbs and these readings are without meds... weight 70ks.. down from 90kgs at peak 5 years ago... So I believe treatment of diabetics in UK is a false economy, and poorly approached by GP's... having said that I'm not really surprised with regard to their apathetic approach towards their patients these days..

Rayvon

Whilst I agree with your comment that keto /fasting does not suit everybody, the inference that it is involved in your heart attack is something I do not accept. I too have just spent 3 months in hospital following 2 heart attacks, and culminating in a triple bypass operation. I asked my Consultant if my LC diet was to blame, annd he said that the damage to cause a heart attack is generally long term buildup from poor lifestyle over many years, and that my LCHF diet was unlikely to be causative in my recent MI events. As it turned out my MI was due to a bacterial infection that was eventually dealt with by antibiotics. The Consultant has confirmed this in writing to me and my GP and he reiterated that it was not due to recent lifestyle changes.

When atherosclerosis is present, then it is not reversed easily (if at all) by diet, and neither keto nor fasting is linked to improved CVD outcomes by any research I have heard of. These techniques may help in the fight to reverse diabetes, but they are not cure alls as far as I know. There are documented advantages to the diet such as lowering BP, reducing cholesterol, reducing NAFLD and possibly Insulin Resistance, but a T2D is at elevated risk from CVE as a consquence of having the disease,
Oldvatr, your consultant diagnosis intrigues me re bacterial infections...I have suffered for 3 years with stomach issues, nausea, diarrhea, quite debilitating at times and frightening...I have had various tests re celiac,food intolerances etc gluten flour but have been unable to pinpoint the cause...my Thai nurse friend has suggested bacterial infections maybe from oral hygiene...did your consultant advise re a cause for your bacterial infections... must say,my tummy issues are much better now since I've been seeing oral hygienist in Thailand.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oldvatr, your consultant diagnosis intrigues me re bacterial infections...I have suffered for 3 years with stomach issues, nausea, diarrhea, quite debilitating at times and frightening...I have had various tests re celiac,food intolerances etc gluten flour but have been unable to pinpoint the cause...my Thai nurse friend has suggested bacterial infections maybe from oral hygiene...did your consultant advise re a cause for your bacterial infections... must say,my tummy issues are much better now since I've been seeing oral hygienist in Thailand.
Hi @Rayvon

Unfortunately our much loved member Oldvatr passed away earlier this year so sadly he won’t be able to answer your question.

• Informative
Reactions: aylalake