It just get more Confusing ???

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just read that my insulin may not be up to full strength & effectiveness because of the fluctuating temperatures in Refrigerators. This combined with he temperature's in Bangkok being close to the maximum recommended plus the normal problems in avoiding highs and lows we all face just seems to be making my Diabetes control even more complex than normal.

Whilst It will not stop me I wonder what others think

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/...ail&utm_term=0_168fcb2a95-505f1fde12-87581857

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
So the data comes from research sponsored by the company that makes temperature sensors. My thoughts are that this is not much more than a thinly veiled advertisement for Med Angel temperature sensors.

Like many others, I have been keeping insulin in a domestic fridge since becoming diabetic and have not had any problems with efficacy so far.

Temperatures inside a fridge will fluctuate. When the door is opened it will let warmer air in so the fridge has to cool down again but the point is that just because some of the air has become warmer, the items inside the fridge will not warm up at the same rate and are probably staying within range.

I have a cheap thermometer to keep an eye on the temp range - I don't need an app and a $50 sensor.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to keep a special fridge at a constant temperature of 4 to 5 degrees during the winter as this is where my tortoise hibernates. I have 2 cheap fridge thermometers bought for pennies, and have no problems at all, even though I open the door a few times a day to keep check on things. OK I don't live in Bangkok!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As long as you stay within the temp range given in the leaflet the insulin will be fine; it can vary within that range.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have just read that my insulin may not be up to full strength & effectiveness because of the fluctuating temperatures in Refrigerators. This combined with he temperature's in Bangkok being close to the maximum recommended
The temp fluctuation in a fridge when you open and close the door would not vary much. If you leave the door open then the temp will rise.

I have a cheap meat thermometer I paid $2.00 for from Aldi in my beer fridge to keep and eye on the temps.

ncK7nHD.jpg