Type 2 Itchy legs

Ian Brock

Hi I am fairly new member with Type 2 on Metformin this upsets my stomach but will improve so I am told. My concern is my legs have started itching below the knees. Is this normal, could it be the Metformin, or should I seek medical advice? The itch started at the back of my knees 3 days ago and had slowly spread down my legs and increased in intensity. Any advice greatly accepted.
Ian Brock

Reactions: Mariedoc

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya,

is this an itch or is it more like pins and needles?

I personally suffered with pins and needles in my legs when I was first diagnosed. It lasted about a week and then went :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are your blood sugar levels high - or have they been in the past? It could be diabetic neuropathy. I am only suggesting this as a possibility. I am not a doctor, so I suggest you have a word with your doctor.

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a thought - are you taking Amlodipine for high blood pressure? One sideeffect of Amlodipine is itchy/sore/irritated ankles/lower legs. Perhaps it does not work well for you together with Metformin, or vice versa.

I am on Amlodipine and get this kind of itch intermittently. I take no other medicine, so don't know why it is coming and going and will probably never find out.

Ian Brock

Are your blood sugar levels high - or have they been in the past? It could be diabetic neuropathy. I am only suggesting this as a possibility. I am not a doctor, so I suggest you have a word with your doctor.
Hi my blood sugar levels are high, since deign diagnosed I average 8 first thing in the morning before eating and average 7.4 3 hours after main meal. I saw my GP to day who has changed my Metformin to the SR type and given hydrocortisone for mr legs as well as Cetraben. The only time my blood sugar is low is after exercise. With regard to Amlodopine I was taken off it 9 months ago due to swelling feet.
Thanks for your response.
Ian Brock

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my blood sugar levels are high, since deign diagnosed I average 8 first thing in the morning before eating and average 7.4 3 hours after main meal. I saw my GP to day who has changed my Metformin to the SR type and given hydrocortisone for mr legs as well as Cetraben. The only time my blood sugar is low is after exercise. With regard to Amlodopine I was taken off it 9 months ago due to swelling feet.
Thanks for your response.
Ian Brock

Are you doing anything diet-wise to help your blood sugar levels? Metformin only helps a little bit. Diet is the key.