It's unbelievable! happened in France-1824: Case of Diabetes, Cured by bleeding, the Vapour Bath, &c

Khaled1972

Hello everyone,

I came to you with this interesting article I found it on the US National Library of Medicine NCBI website,
The article's author is George Lefevre, Member of the Royal College of Physicians, London
The article head line :
Case of Diabetes, Cured by Bleeding, the Vapour Bath, &c.
The article link : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5646531/?page=1

The article contains 4 pages : 366 + 367 + 368 + 369
But at the end of page 369 there's something written by hand and not completely understood for me,
so please can anyone retype it for me please

londmedphysj69574-0008.jpg
londmedphysj69574-0009.jpg
londmedphysj69574-0010.jpg
londmedphysj69574-0011.jpg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It says
An incurable disease completely cured - none but a Frenchman can do what is impossible"

Reactions: Khaled1972

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Page 367, last paragraph -- "She was requested to live upon animal food, with but a small quantity of bread."

Might this be primarily responsible for getting rid of the symptoms?

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carnivore diet in 1823.. and guess what... looks like it worked...
Well done Dr Lefevre even though you seem to have had no idea how you did it...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

... & possibly getting the patient addicted to opiates? ;)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Khaled1972

Actually Dr. Lefevre. - according to what is noted - was having a good knowledge of what he was doing, if you read very carefully the last 2 lines in page 369 : " The urine has been analysed today ( November 8, 1824), it contains not a particle of sugar !!!! that man was not kidding, and this clearly indicates that they were having the tools and ways to measure the urinary glucose

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Actually Dr. Lefevre. - according to what is noted - was having a good knowledge of what he was doing, if you read very carefully the last 2 lines in page 369 : " The urine has been analysed today ( November 8, 1824), it contains not a particle of sugar !!!! that man was not kidding, and this clearly indicates that they were having the tools and ways to measure the urinary glucose

Mostly by tasting it, smelling it and then evaporating it. The taste was identified by the Ancient Greeks and noted hence the name Diabetes Mellitus.

Edited to add a wiki FYI

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_diabetes

Last edited:
Reactions: SimonCrox

Khaled1972

Mostly by tasting it, smelling it and then evaporating it. The taste was identified by the Ancient Greeks and noted hence the name Diabetes Mellitus.

Edited to add a wiki FYI

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_diabetes
in page 367 it's written : analysed not tasting and the same term in page 369 it's written : analysed, here's the quote from page 367 : " Mr.Chevreuil, a chemist of celebrity, analysed , and found that it contained a very large proportion of sugar " Dr. Lefevre was talking about chemical analysis not tasting urine to check how it's sweet or not.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
in page 367 it's written : analysed not tasting and the same term in page 369 it's written : analysed, here's the quote from page 367 : " Mr.Chevreuil, a chemist of celebrity, analysed , and found that it contained a very large proportion of sugar " Dr. Lefevre was talking about chemical analysis not tasting urine to check how it's sweet or not.

According to the description of MR C's analysis. He smelled 15 pints of pee & then gave it a taste?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

My point (including the link) was just an FYI. But could you point me to where it says he used a 'chemical' analysis, please?

Khaled1972

My point (including the link) was just an FYI. But could you point me to where it says he used a 'chemical' analysis, please?
For me analysis performed by a chemist is identified as a chemical analysis according to what Dr. Lefevre was describing, so it can't be something else.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
For me analysis performed by a chemist is identified as a chemical analysis according to what Dr. Lefevre was describing, so it can't be something else.

Interesting. As the word analysis means to break up or to break down into parts and can be used in all manner of subjects. Without a more detailed history of what the chemist did and the chemicals (possibly) that he used then a question mark remains, for me anyway.

Reactions: SimonCrox

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

The description of a "chemist" back then was far different to what we know now.. Mainly bassed on visual observational experiences?
This case is only 35 years after the whole "madness of King George" the 3rd thing..? Pretty much observational diagnosis..
I'm not knocking the protien diet. The hand written "V" To the left of the chapter start, ironically don't make it suitable for vegitarians... ;):D
Though, I do also feel the hot baths prescribed for thie highlighted patient may have helped increase insulin sensitivity (temporarily?) into the bargain?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
And I think we can guess why the blood letting may have helped a tad, temporarily.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And I think we can guess why the blood letting may have helped a tad, temporarily.

I can also only hazard a guess.. Really old school, methodology "witch finder general" bleed the evil? :banghead: (Though, by this time the persecution should have stopped?)

However. Is it advisable to create & open a wound on a diabetic with high BGs? ;)