I've now got Acute Kidney Failure!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
And there was me thinking it was my diet! The symptoms started a few weeks after I started lchf in January, and I've tried eating more fat, less fat, more carbs, fewer carbs, more protein less protein, more salt, more water, nothing made a difference, still feeling weak, dizzy, light-headed, lethargic, no appetite etc.
I've been losing weight slowly for the last year or so without trying, and a lot more since lchf. I thought it was because of my high BG, but apparently not.

I went for my regular 3 month check up at the hospital today and they said my kidney function had reduced markedly in the last couple of months, and they said I was showing all the signs of renal failure. My sister has been on dialysis for 4 years and I'd been thinking about checking her symptoms with her, but I wasn't overly overworried because I knew she'd had bad headaches for months before being diagnosed end stage renal failure (when she didn't even know she had a problem with her kidneys!) but I've had very few headaches.

So, they don't know what's causing it yet, I've got to go back on Monday for a scan and biopsy, and they took another arnful of blood from me today. The hope is it's something that can be sorted, but they didn't sound too hopeful. They said I'm not bad enough to need dialysis yet, my kidneys are working at about 30%, but apart from that they can't say any more at preent until they've done more tests.

Good news was my A1C has gone down again, to 60, so that was some comfort. i don't know if it's affected by the kidneys though. So much I don't know at the moment!

Thinking of you rowan and wishing you all the very best x

Reactions: 4 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I hope you get better soon @rowan sending positive vibes and healing light your way.

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh Rowan, hope it all gets sorted out ok soon for you.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
So sorry Rowan. It seems it never rains, but it pours for you. Your positive spirit is so inspirational and I really hope they can sort it out for you.

Reactions: 4 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
D

Deleted member 182154

I'm a newbie - literally - with Crohn's disease. Rowan's post is food for thought.

Thank you again forumteers!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have had more tests today, good and not so good news. Good news is that the scan showed no abnormalities in my kidneys and the chest x-ray was clear.
Not so good is that my kidney function has gone down again, from 30% two weeks ago to 28% today and they still don't know why, so more tests needed. Got to go back in a couple of weeks for kidney biopsy and a heart scan, and they've changed one of my meds to one less likely to affect kidneys, so hopefully that will help a bit.

D

Deleted member 182154

Thinking about you Rowan and admiring your fortitude & control.

Stay strong
X Barb

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I'm late to the thread Rown, and so sorry to hear you are going through yet another health concern :( You are absolutely right that it's important to have things checked as symptoms arise when you have multiple health issues, as all to often other conditions are used as a " hook" to hang them on and mask something new .

I do hope that the meds change is a step in the right direction,and that they are able to reverse your renal problems . Positive, healing energy being sent to you ;)

Signy

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear Rowan,

Just like everyone else, very concerned, and thinking about you, and sending very, very best of wishes. Also like everyone, *really really* admiring your attitude, which will be helping you so much.

We all root for you. Just hope they find the cause *fast* and get on with fixing it. Very, very best of luck,

Lucy

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone. Latest symptom is my face - looks like I've had an overdose on a tanning machine! has gone red and very very dry, feels quite rough with tiny wrinkles, bit like old boot leather! Am drinking as much as I can and even heavy duty moisturizer isn't helping!

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Thank you everyone. Latest symptom is my face - looks like I've had an overdose on a tanning machine! has gone red and very very dry, feels quite rough with tiny wrinkles, bit like old boot leather! Am drinking as much as I can and even heavy duty moisturizer isn't helping!
Sorry to here that Rowan,I didnt have that problem,just fluid retention in my body.
Take care x

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Just sending my very best wishes and a hug Rowan x

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

This morning I remembered my dermatologist saying a few years ago that she thought I might have lupus because I had something similar to what I have now on my face, and to look out for any other signs, but nothing happened and I forgot, until now.
I've googled lupus and I have some of the other symptoms too, including the kidney damage and foot problems that I thought might be neuropathy. I'm going to phone doctor in the morning but in the meantime thought I'd post here and ask of anyone else has lupus?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Spoke to doc today and I was tested for lupus in Feb which came back negative. Shame really because it would have been an answer and could have been treated, but the testing goes on! Next step kidney biopsy and heart scan.