Jaggery,ancient Indian sugar

Snoben

I saw a tv program that mentioned an ancient form of sugar. I am curious to know more and how it may relate to diabetes. The programme said it was made from sugar cane but was not separated from the molasses or other (?) fibres.
Wikipedia says cheap jaggery is made from sugar cane and considered inferior and that better jaggery is made from palm oil?
So, is it still just sugar or is it better than commercial sugars? Which, if any is the better of the two for diabetics?
I did a search here before posting this and surprisingly got no results.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw a tv program that mentioned an ancient form of sugar. I am curious to know more and how it may relate to diabetes. The programme said it was made from sugar cane but was not separated from the molasses or other (?) fibres.
Wikipedia says cheap jaggery is made from sugar cane and considered inferior and that better jaggery is made from palm oil?
So, is it still just sugar or is it better than commercial sugars? Which, if any is the better of the two for diabetics?
I did a search here before posting this and surprisingly got no results.
Try this article...
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/jaggery
Jaggery contains more nutrients than refined sugar but it is still mostly sugar.

Reactions: Snoben

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A picture speaks a thousand words! :wideyed:

69E62B85-47D9-482E-8CF9-85C41BBC0E6D.jpg

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Jaggery may be made from palm SUGAR not palm oil. Still not good for diabetics.