Januvia Side Effects

steppy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been reluctant for so long to start using this drug, or any drugs really, but due to an eye condition that was picked up by the optician on my yearly checkup the other week, I decided to try one out yesterday to see what would happen; I've read up on issues relating to Januvia, and that scares me; anyway, this morning I got up out of bed as normal and I came over all faint, and began sweating; this lasted for a short time and had to sit down before I fell down!

I've never had this issue before taking Januvia, so why should I be taking it at all?

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Steppy. I dont know the answer but my post should move you back to recent. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've been reluctant for so long to start using this drug, or any drugs really, but due to an eye condition that was picked up by the optician on my yearly checkup the other week, I decided to try one out yesterday to see what would happen; I've read up on issues relating to Januvia, and that scares me; anyway, this morning I got up out of bed as normal and I came over all faint, and began sweating; this lasted for a short time and had to sit down before I fell down!

I've never had this issue before taking Januvia, so why should I be taking it at all?

Sorry missed it! I am on sitagliptin and I do not have any side effects.
It has had a great effect on my controlling my BSLs.
I think you may be experiencing symptoms of a fluctuating blood sugar levels. You may be going hypo with the Januvia. Try and get to see your GP.
Don't take any more tablets and eat cautiously until you see your doctor.
Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: 3 people

steppy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks for the advice; I've already decided to stop as I'd never had this issue in the mornings until I took one yesterday, so perhaps too strong for me; have always just taken 2 x 500mg of Glucophage SR twice a day, and have been fine for over a year with no side effects apart from the odd upset stomach if I had porridge earlier!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It can be really difficult to get meds right. Sometimes they just aren't the right ones for you.
Hope you get sorted soon.
Are you on a low carb diet?
Have you had a look around at the threads and articles about controlling without meds?
Or can't you keep them down without meds?

steppy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm against taking meds full stop. but when pushed, I take them.

I've taken a keen interest in a low carb diet now, so I'm beginning today! :)

I just hope this episode hasn't exacerbated my condition and shattered my pancreas; we'll see tomorrow!

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Steppy have a look at myfitnesspal. com if you havent already started using it. It will help you with your target and calculating the carbs in your meals. :)

steppy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
will do; it's just the case of looking at what to eat now, but I'm determined to make this work now!

Reactions: artijayne