Jason Fung & Fasting

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
So I finally finished his book. Interesting read. Now I need some tips on how to fast 24hrs for three days in between LCHF...

What are your gating tips?
How do you alleviate hunger pangs?
What did it do to your bg?
Do you eat anything on a fast day?

I take ibuprofen at least twice a day and am concerned about taking that on an empty stomach. Unfortunately I need it for my sciatica pain, as well as tramadol so somehow need to work that in to a fast. Fung said taking meds with spinach but isn't that cheating?!

Any ideas/support are welcome!
Thanks
Deb x

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I'm fasting I usually have tea with soya milk or lacto free milk and coffee with soya milk and double cream 50:50.
Sometime I'll have a broth type soup (waitrose consommé for example). Thats about it. Water too if thirsty but I drink a LOT of tea.. I don't really get hunger pangs but find it very helpful to have decided how long I'm going to fast before starting. Seems to get me in the right frame of mind. BG levels come down quite a lot.. I have seen low 4's after 2 or 3 days ( a record for me).
I don't have anything solid on a fast day. My longest fast so far was 4 days with no ill effects at all even after a dose of norovirus as I started... (lost 6 pounds that week!).

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Deb
Have you ever fasted before ? If not I would recommend just delaying BF until noon for a week, then maybe until 2 etc. fasting CAN be very hard on the body. When I was T2 I wouldn't eat until 2 and then I had a small salad and then a moderate dinner at 6:30. As a T 1 now I need to eat a small BF so I can take my insulin so I just eat 1/2 and avocado. Then I could ( but I don't) skip lunch and just eat dinner.
When I fasted it brought bs way down and I lost weight. However I was progressing to T 1 and didn't know it at the time.
If you need to take meds I would do as bikebulker said and take them with a low carb almond or soy milk or something with some fat like avocado. Sometimes we have to make concessions when we are dealing with other issues. Though the milk or avocado is not the exact same thing as fasting it's surely better than full meals. Keep calories and carbs very low and you will still achieve good results.

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've done the 5:2 before with some success but that was before discovering LCHF and nowadays can easily go without food for prolonged periods so thought I'd do it the Fung way in a bid to lower bg.

In the past I've done 16 hour fasts easily but my bg went up for some reason!!!

X

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app