1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

JDRF

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by FUD, Jan 7, 2019.

1. FUD

FUD Type 1 · Active Member

Hi,

Was interested in doing a cycling sportive for a diabetes charity (JDRF).It’s in UK and covers the Ford test track and surround Essex area.

I’ve never heard of JDRF, looks to be a predominantly American charity, so I wanted to make sure I was supporting something in the UK.

Anyone else heard of or fund raised for these?

Cheers

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi, yes i've done a couple of challenges for JDRF, they have a UK division as well as a US. I've purposely raised money for them on the basis that they are actively seeking a cure for type 1 and are involved in many research projects directly connected to type 1, I was involved in a research program myself 6 years ago, they also educate and organise events for type 1's to meet, they do many activities which all have a benefit towards type 1's.

3. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I have definitely heard of JDRF in the UK. Diabetes UK do joint work with them.
    But I have never done any fund raising for them.

They are great because they focus on type 1 diabetes.
    However, as their name suggests, this focus is directed more towards children so I let my membership lapse.

4. Jo_the_boat

Jo_the_boat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I received a rather nice christmas card from a lady called Fiona (I think) at JDRF. Post mark London.
    I was a bit annoyed she wasted a stamp.
    We made a 'funeral' donation after my BIL died of T1 diabetic complications (among other things) and I make a monthly donation which is funded by talks my wife and I give.
    I saw what T1 did to my family and the sooner this ****** of a disease is conquered the better.
    There are so many demands for our money these days but I really hate to see kids suffer from somthing that isn't their fault. After all it might be my grandkids next week (God forbid).

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook