JDRF

FUD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Was interested in doing a cycling sportive for a diabetes charity (JDRF).It’s in UK and covers the Ford test track and surround Essex area.

I’ve never heard of JDRF, looks to be a predominantly American charity, so I wanted to make sure I was supporting something in the UK.

Anyone else heard of or fund raised for these?

Cheers

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi, yes i've done a couple of challenges for JDRF, they have a UK division as well as a US. I've purposely raised money for them on the basis that they are actively seeking a cure for type 1 and are involved in many research projects directly connected to type 1, I was involved in a research program myself 6 years ago, they also educate and organise events for type 1's to meet, they do many activities which all have a benefit towards type 1's.

D

Deleted Account

I have definitely heard of JDRF in the UK. Diabetes UK do joint work with them.
But I have never done any fund raising for them.

They are great because they focus on type 1 diabetes.
However, as their name suggests, this focus is directed more towards children so I let my membership lapse.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I received a rather nice christmas card from a lady called Fiona (I think) at JDRF. Post mark London.
I was a bit annoyed she wasted a stamp.
We made a 'funeral' donation after my BIL died of T1 diabetic complications (among other things) and I make a monthly donation which is funded by talks my wife and I give.
I saw what T1 did to my family and the sooner this ****** of a disease is conquered the better.
There are so many demands for our money these days but I really hate to see kids suffer from somthing that isn't their fault. After all it might be my grandkids next week (God forbid).