1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Jenny wren

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Wilber123, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Wilber123

Wilber123 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Hi all.
    Sorry not been about lately. I’ve been concentrating in my diet or lack of it, depending on your point of view.
    I recently purchased a Uk Diabetic book on low carb. You can get it on this site, I got mine from “Amazon “

It’s been an eye opener it really does show how many carbs are in what we eat, even veg which was a huge surprise.

I’ve been doing low carb for a while now trying to keep to 50 or day sometimes a bit higher.

Got the results of my Just done HBA1C today
    It’s down 5 points to 41 Technically not pre diabetic any longer. WhooooooI feel now I can relax (a little) I can now have the very rare jacket potato and maybe the odd slice of bread.

This year has been an awakening. It’s been very hard but thanks to all of you and your post and advice I feel in top the world.
    Thank you,
    to you all.
    Keep at it and remember how nourishing lettuce really is. Eat those veg and I praise you all for your endurance. Let’s be fair you all work so hard.
    Have a good Christmas meal and God bless you all.
    Jenny wren.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Well done on the HbA1c, but please be very careful about relaxing. It is so easy for the odd piece of bread or jacket potato to turn into a daily thing. You do not want to spoil all your hard work. Your body is carb intolerant and susceptible to raised glucose levels - don't go giving it too much glucose. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I just had a sandwich made from the very low carb bread available from the local Polish delicatessen.
    I don't make a habit of it, but wanted something quick before going out this evening. I have found that I prefer to steam cauliflower and then melt cream cheese and Red Leicester grated on top, as a something warm and filling alternative to baked potato.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Sounds lovely.

5. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Totall agree with this. Also, short term can be misleading, as these things tend to be quite elastic, and insulin resistance an easily creep back in to the point where one jacket potato spikes your glucose. This will be worse if you don’t monitor your own blood and see the upward trend. I once thought I was ok to eat ice cream and a few weeks later I was back in double figures. I now choose to completely abstain rather than tease myself with meagre portions and keep my body addicted to carbs, but that’s a personal choice and I only speak for myself.

Well done OP! It’s a great feeling getting some control back...but please don’t get too comfortable and think that you can return to eating “normally”... a rude awakening my be around the next corner.

• Agree Agree x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook