Jenny wren

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi all.
Sorry not been about lately. I’ve been concentrating in my diet or lack of it, depending on your point of view.
I recently purchased a Uk Diabetic book on low carb. You can get it on this site, I got mine from “Amazon “

It’s been an eye opener it really does show how many carbs are in what we eat, even veg which was a huge surprise.

I’ve been doing low carb for a while now trying to keep to 50 or day sometimes a bit higher.

Got the results of my Just done HBA1C today
It’s down 5 points to 41 Technically not pre diabetic any longer. WhooooooI feel now I can relax (a little) I can now have the very rare jacket potato and maybe the odd slice of bread.

This year has been an awakening. It’s been very hard but thanks to all of you and your post and advice I feel in top the world.
Thank you,
to you all.
Keep at it and remember how nourishing lettuce really is. Eat those veg and I praise you all for your endurance. Let’s be fair you all work so hard.
Have a good Christmas meal and God bless you all.
Jenny wren.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on the HbA1c, but please be very careful about relaxing. It is so easy for the odd piece of bread or jacket potato to turn into a daily thing. You do not want to spoil all your hard work. Your body is carb intolerant and susceptible to raised glucose levels - don't go giving it too much glucose. :)

Reactions: Ponchu

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I just had a sandwich made from the very low carb bread available from the local Polish delicatessen.
I don't make a habit of it, but wanted something quick before going out this evening. I have found that I prefer to steam cauliflower and then melt cream cheese and Red Leicester grated on top, as a something warm and filling alternative to baked potato.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I just had a sandwich made from the very low carb bread available from the local Polish delicatessen.
I don't make a habit of it, but wanted something quick before going out this evening. I have found that I prefer to steam cauliflower and then melt cream cheese and Red Leicester grated on top, as a something warm and filling alternative to baked potato.

Sounds lovely.

M

Member496333

Well done on the HbA1c, but please be very careful about relaxing. It is so easy for the odd piece of bread or jacket potato to turn into a daily thing. You do not want to spoil all your hard work. Your body is carb intolerant and susceptible to raised glucose levels - don't go giving it too much glucose. :)

Totall agree with this. Also, short term can be misleading, as these things tend to be quite elastic, and insulin resistance an easily creep back in to the point where one jacket potato spikes your glucose. This will be worse if you don’t monitor your own blood and see the upward trend. I once thought I was ok to eat ice cream and a few weeks later I was back in double figures. I now choose to completely abstain rather than tease myself with meagre portions and keep my body addicted to carbs, but that’s a personal choice and I only speak for myself.

Well done OP! It’s a great feeling getting some control back...but please don’t get too comfortable and think that you can return to eating “normally”... a rude awakening my be around the next corner.

Reactions: Ponchu

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Yes your all correct.
I relaxed. Due to have a Hba1c at the end of May.
Think it’s gone up. Well I deserve it. It was fine following a low carb 50g or day.
But it got me down wondering how to sustain this regime for the rest of my life.
Do know I now feel that I want to go on Metformin just to stop this continuous thought of What can I eat today.
I am totally focused on food, I want to be able to eat like everyone else, Iv always had a good diet, proteins lots of veg,
Not much in the way of cake or ice cream or rubbish. My problem is my Dad was one of twelve children and grandparents had diabetes so I don’t stand a chance.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Wilber123

I know exactly what you are going through. It is something most of us low carbers experience sooner or later.
Have a hug!

My suggestion is that low carb doesn’t have to mean suffering and denial.
There are lots of delicious, indulgent foods available that can be used to replace the usual high carb options.

Cauliflower, cauliflower cheese, butternut squash and celeriac all make interesting alternatives to potato.
There are many recipes for low carb cakes and desserts - if you want to make them.
Chocolate is doable, if it is the darker choc with high cocoa solids content.
There are low carb breads around.

What foods do you miss? And what foods would you most like to have low carb versions of?
Do you do your own cooking?
Are you willing to bake?

I take the view that going low carb needs to be sustainable. Long term sustainable.
And that means something different for each of us.