Joany55

joany1955

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello , I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes just under a month ago now , my nurse wasn't very informative and I've had to find a lot out myself , mainly off this sight which I'm very grateful for . I've been following a low carb diet because metamorfin didn't agree with me . I don't know what my BG was because she didn't tell me only that my cholesterol was 8 and my BP was fine . I bought a meter myself because you can't get them on the NHS anymore , she didn't mention to but one but I felt I needed to keep a check on it myself . I lost nearly 4 stone before I was diagnosed so it was a real kick in the teeth to find I'd still gone on to develop it . Sorry for the long post , I love reading all your questions and also your answers , and I look forward to speaking with you all ..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello , I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes just under a month ago now , my nurse wasn't very informative and I've had to find a lot out myself , mainly off this sight which I'm very grateful for . I've been following a low carb diet because metamorfin didn't agree with me . I don't know what my BG was because she didn't tell me only that my cholesterol was 8 and my BP was fine . I bought a meter myself because you can't get them on the NHS anymore , she didn't mention to but one but I felt I needed to keep a check on it myself . I lost nearly 4 stone before I was diagnosed so it was a real kick in the teeth to find I'd still gone on to develop it . Sorry for the long post , I love reading all your questions and also your answers , and I look forward to speaking with you all ..

Hi,

I believe you need to know exactly what your blood test results were so you know where you are starting from. It isn't just your glucose levels (HbA1c) but also your full cholesterol breakdown (LDL/HDL/Triglycerides) plus liver and kidney functions. You can ask for a print out of these results, and also if you are in England you can ask how to register for test results on-line.

Well done for losing the 4 stone :) and for buying a meter :)

Is there anything in particular you need help with?

Reactions: Liam1955

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @joany1955 - just to say welcome to the forum and @Bluetit1802 is right - a print-out of your test results is essential, as you can find out all the details the nurses/receptionists don't tell you - forum members on here are very good at helping to interpret results if there's anything you don't understand.

joany1955

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your replies , I'm afraid my nurse wasn't a bit helpful and I've sort of been doing it blindly , I found it very difficult to cut down on carbs and was quite depressed at the beginning ( I do suffer with anxiety ) and I think I was mourning not being able to have the comfort foods that he probably Been my down fall for many years . I'm just so confused that I have to cut down carbs but up my fats which is totally the opposite to how I've always lost weight . For the first two weeks I didn't loose any weight , I don't think I was eating enough , I've gone back to the drawing board and I think I've finally got the hang of it ! I haven't got to go back to see my nurse till the end of April , she really wasn't interested after I said I couldn't take metamorfin and I'd like to try and get it down with diet myself , I think she was more interested in my cholesterol level and tried to put me on statins which I'd already said no to on previous occasions with the Dr . It may turn out its genetic because there is diabetes in my family . Can I just ring up and ask for my results to be printed out ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@joany1955

Yes, you can ring the receptionist and she should sort print outs for you.

It does take a lot of getting used to - overturning all that incorrect dietary advice about low fat being good for us and high fat being a heart attack on a plate - but science has now debunked all the low fat stuff. What we do have to be careful with though, is to get the right balance of carbs and fats. Too many of both and we are in trouble. Think of it like a sea-saw with fats at one end and carbs at the other. As carbs come down, fats go up. It will all fall into place soon enough, and will be so much easier with testing before and 2 hours after eating, and acting on the information the meter gives you. (This is also where a detailed food diary comes in very useful)

Reactions: eggs11

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You've been doing the right things. Fat shouldn't make you fat despite what we have been told. My advice has always been to cut the carbs right down and have enough fats and protein to keep you feeling full. You do get used to having fewer carbs and the fats/proteins really do stop those hunger pangs. I have eggs and bacon for breakfast for example. BTW you should ask the nurse to prescribe Metformin SR (Slow Release) which is much kinder and normally solves any problems. Mind you, Met isn't a miracle cure but helps a bit.

Reactions: eggs11

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.

joany1955

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your replies , it's certainly a learning curve . I'm going back at the end of April for a blood test to see how I've done by myself , I'll certainly be armed with more questions for her after reading other people's posts on here ..