tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I guess there are two sides to this.

1. Do you consider yourself to have a disability? I don't consider myself to have one, no.

2. Does employment statute consider you to have a disability? The answer, from reading all about this, appears to be "Yes".

In which case, it is worth taking full advantage of the fact. If you appear not to be disabled, yet under employment statute are categorised as such, tick the "Disabled" box, and make it very clear in your job application that you have no physical impairment to doing the job. Most employers are very happy to have "Disabled" employees that allow them to count towards internal or external targets that require minimum additional outlay to have them onboard. And why wouldn't they?

Take all advantages that are presented to you, even if they do seem to be morally incorrect.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree Tim but it really depends on the employer. Councils or large organisations are happy to accept "disabled" employees and it can even count as a positive. Lots of smaller employers though will see "disabled" and, although wrong, may just dismiss application straight away. I don't think there is a set in stone answer here. If you are specifically asked, always tell the truth. If you are not asked but you feel it could be an advantage, tell them. If you are not asked and you think it may hinder your chances, don't tell them. Just because you didn't mention it at interview, you can still let colleagues know once you feel comfortable at a later date.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The reason I don't mention it up front is because as far as I am concerned, it is not a disability, it is a medical condition, and in this respect is similar to someone with Coeliac's disease or Asthma. I do not suffer from anything that causes me to be physically or mentally unable to do my job (and never have) and thus I am therefore not disabled.

Pretty much spot on.............

I would feel mentioning it would look like an attempt to get special treatment.....

when in fact, for me the diabetes is not even a thought in my mind during job interviews.........

Trina_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had to deal with this problem recently. I don't consider myself disabled, but I did a bit of research and the meaning behind 'disabled' (when referring to jobs) seemed to be that if you can't go about your day-to-day activities without medication then under employment law (and only employment law) then you are classed as disabled. Without insulin us Type 1s could become very ill very quickly, and if you don't tell your employer early on then you aren't entitled to the same sort of protection under the laws for people with disabilities. It is there to protect us.

Also, like previously mentioned, a lot of big employers have to give you an interview provided you fit the criteria set out in the job advertisement due to discrimination laws. So yes, it seems a bit immoral, but I'm happy to reap any rewards I can get from dealing with diabetes on a daily bloody basis. If this is one positive of the condition, I'm taking it!

Hope this has been helpful!

Reactions: 3 people

Phil-Clements

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thing is - an employer isn't allowed to ask any question relating to disability at any point until a job offer is made. This is for exactly the same reason as an application form may not require you disclose date of birth, race, religion or sexual orientation etc - it removes any possibility of an applicant being screened out due to a protected (discriminatory) characteristic.

The only exception would be where an occupation has a specific and genuine requirement for a candidate to have, for example 20/20 vision or as mentioned previously the ability to drive without restriction. The employer should explain why the information is needed at the point of application if the question is asked.

Therefore if the question was asked on an application form, and there was no relevance of the 'disability' to the position applied for, then it need not be disclosed, but, once employed it IS important for the employer to be aware as the 'reasonable adjustment' might be something as straightforward as allowing you to leave a workstation to inject, or for essential medical appointments to not be measured as 'sickness' absence. You cannot benefit from the Equality Act provisions unless the employer is aware that you are disabled (at least as defined by the EA)