Job withdrawn

Milky1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would definitely make a noise about this. Even if you have decided that you don't want to work for such a company, the next diabetic that turns up for a job they will then think twice about using that excuse. All railway positions that are of an operational nature are governed by a national government body. The medical requirements are here. Read Appendix F, then go feed it to them.
https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/GOGN3655 Iss 2.pdf
Already have a copy of this to take with me next Friday when they're letting me appeal my original OH decision

Blip22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Double speak
Just wondering if anyone on here has had a job offer withdrawn because you were diabetic. I have , passed medical including eyesight and hearing and the company were told I was diabetic from the start. Measured me up for a uniform too only to be told when I got home that they'd withdrawn the job offer as it was a safety critical roll and being type 1 I couldn't be left on my own .
How very sad. Unfortunately some things you shouldn't do, I was banned from driving due to my diabetes and this limits every aspect of my life permanently. At 55 I find I have an accumulation of unfortunate experiences from not getting that job to she's drunk to she suffers anxiety when really it's just the physical manifestation of hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia particularly if it's acute. Any how if you search there will be something that is perfect for you..so don't give up and remember it's not you that's failed more often its that people have failed to understand or recognise the implications of diabetes. In your case yes probably HR didn't realise the problem given that particular role or job.

Reactions: Milky1

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I would also get Drs letter. I volunteer as a safe worker on a historic tourist railway (Guard and Signalman) which is an operational role. I have to have a medical every year a copy of my pathology reports. The letter is a very specific wording for Australia anyway. If you can go armed with a satisfactory letter, it will be impossible for them to worm out of that excuse. If you have been seeing an Endo for your treatment that will be much better than a GP or hospital staff Dr.
Good luck and let us know how you go.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How very sad. Unfortunately some things you shouldn't do, I was banned from driving due to my diabetes and this limits every aspect of my life permanently. At 55 I find I have an accumulation of unfortunate experiences from not getting that job to she's drunk to she suffers anxiety when really it's just the physical manifestation of hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia particularly if it's acute. Any how if you search there will be something that is perfect for you..so don't give up and remember it's not you that's failed more often its that people have failed to understand or recognise the implications of diabetes. In your case yes probably HR didn't realise the problem given that particular role or job.
Your profile say you are a diet only Type 2 .. may I ask how that got you banned from driving? As someone in a similar situation I'm very interested and concerned.

Milky1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would also get Drs letter. I volunteer as a safe worker on a historic tourist railway (Guard and Signalman) which is an operational role. I have to have a medical every year a copy of my pathology reports. The letter is a very specific wording for Australia anyway. If you can go armed with a satisfactory letter, it will be impossible for them to worm out of that excuse. If you have been seeing an Endo for your treatment that will be much better than a GP or hospital staff Dr.
Good luck and let us know how you go.
Got the docs letter ready and armed for next Friday when they're letting me appeal my original OH decision

Reactions: zand