Joggers and fitness guru's

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right I'm not sure if this is my midlife crisis starting as I've recently turned 44. A lot of men may buy a sports car, it's something I do want but my finances won't allow it. My thing is jogging, some crisis.

It started off by me just giving up the drink for October, 4 days in and I am doing fine. The jogging part came about when my sister said giving up drinking for a month is just a lifestyle change (something we t1's know all about). She then went on saying I should do something like the Great North Run next September as she did it and it's a goal to aim for. I said to her that runnings not for me and side stepped it. But while at work and bored out of my skin I thought that I would like to train and take part in some sort of 'race'.

Is it possible to train at the age of 44 as well as being a honeymooning type 1 (diagnosed June 2017).

All I'm after is some info on how to actually start training and keeping blood sugars at a reasonable level? I would say I'm quite fit and in better shape now than I have been in for quite a while so it may be now or never to do something like this.

If it's not possible then I will be looking at a bank loan and buying that midlife crisis car that I want.

Cheers John

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Consult your diabetic team. Like you I was a similar age (over 35) when I came down with D1 and started exercising. I ride 200km a week.
Build up slowly. Monitor BGL and adjust accordingly. As you are in your honeymoon see your D team. Your Dr may want to check your heart etc before they give you the green light. As far as D is concerned it should have very little impact on most of your daily life, once you get everything sorted, that is unless you are a professional sweet eater, astronaut or similar profession.

Reactions: Jc3131

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a regular runner, I've done quite a few half marathons too. The advice I would give you is to test to figure out how much glucose you're going to need. I test every 30 mins and from that I've figured out that I need 2 Dextro tablets every 15 mins to keep my BGs steady. If you find they're dropping, take an extra Dextro tablet.

Also, always carry your BG meter and extra glucose. I use a CamelBak rucksack, which carries water and it can fit all my diabetes stuff in too.

You'll need to be careful if you are honemooning, as things will start to change for you diabetes-wise, so make sure you test frequently.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Yikes @Jc3131 That's what's happened to me at the age of 44 too, but I hadn't tagged it as a mid life crisis, I don't think i'm quite at that stage yet !!! I started running exactly 13 months ago after going to see an old buddy who suggested I bring my trainers so one Sunday I ran round a lake in Milton Keynes and haven't stopped since then, I ran my first 10k 3 weeks ago and run around 3-4 times a week.

I was quite nervous when I started as I hadn't got a clue what my BG levels would do, but over time confidence has grown hugely and only had 1 hypo whilst running in all that time, keeping BG levels balanced though is a whole new subject, particularly after running. I used to run with the libre but now changed to the Dexcom G6 so only need my phone and glucotabs on me, I try to start out with levels above 6 and if lower then neck some glucotabs. I also started a thread on this subject as it's such a good thing to do, both in keeping sane and keeping fit. I doubt i'll ever run a marathon but if I ever get to 10 miles i'd be quite chuffed :)

The park run on a Saturday morning at 9am is a good way to meet others and get your fitness levels up, I am a regular at mine.

Reactions: kev-w and Jc3131

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers for the advice. I'm due to see my dsn soon as I haven't seen anyone from the hospital or drs since feb, unless they have forgotten about me.

It's just something I feel like doing, I'll be a bit like Forest Gump and just keep on running.

Reactions: kev-w and Juicyj

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was diagnosed I told the DSNs how much I was cycling to work (4 miles there, 6 miles back), and they said "Can you do a bit less?" - it worried them a bit. I can't remember if I replied "not if I want to make it home at night". But I did it anyway, then a year later moved to 10 miles each way, and it's been fine. And 20 years later I'm also happily running up to 14 miles - I started in my 40s, doing what turned out to be an informal version of couch to 5k, only mine was a hilly 10k - I started running the downs, but still don't run the steeper ups :). The most important thing is to carry food - something fast, and enough of it.