1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Just A Bit About How I Am Doing

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by srobertson06, Aug 26, 2016.

1. srobertson06

srobertson06 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I went for my fasting blood test yesterday morning, my doctor always wants me to have a fasting blood test as I have never yet had just a HbA1c. This time was 9 vials of blood, the arm aches - but glad it is done and by the end of next week I should know how well I have done over the last three months.
    I do test and for the most part I have kept the levels below the 8.0 so I am hoping that is good enough or my carbs tolerance level is going to have to be reduced further....
    I found the other week that I got into the pit fall of wanting my blood glucose levels to be lower than I am able to get them and was reminded on this site that it is not a competition and we are all different - it was what I needed and I am doing my best to be more focused on what is right for me.
    Currently I take 2 x 500mg Metformin each morning with 1 x Sitagliptin (sorry cannot remember the dose) and then 2 more Metformin each evening.
    I do wish I could say I have found the right foods for me, I know some of them but I am still looking for a good evening meal that I am happy with, reading recipes to try and help myself.
    Well enough from me for now, I wish you all a happy weekend.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

I am intrigued. Nine vials of blood? Let us know the results when you get them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Nine is a lot.. I think they usually do 4 when I have mine..

4. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

What's the difference between a fasting blood test and an HbA1c test then? I am due to have my 12 month HbA1c test next Thursday and was told it was a fasting test. Every fasting test I've had before has only taken one vial of blood.

5. ally1

ally1 Type 2 · Expert

When I first starting testing regular, I was very jealous of other members low results. At that time I was seeing it as a competition. I feel so stupid for thinking this. I have been type2 for just over 2 years now and my results are coming down and am over the moon. I still do get the odd few high readings but nowhere near where they were 2 years ago

• Like Like x 2
  6. Energize

Energize Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Ally1

I know what you mean about automatically falling into 'compete' mode re BG levels. I have felt the same, ie, see someone's fantastic levels, feel my levels aren't good enough, so try to get them down. Personally, I think it is a human trait in most of us.

Well done for getting your levels down. I can understand you feeling very pleased with yourself. It's a personal challenge, isn't it, especially when good control of BG levels tends to suggest less complications later? ;)

Keep up the good work, eh? :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook