Just a comment on post from bullitin about GP not recognising Type 1 symptoms .

Barrie Smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NHS and Prof Tony Weetman .
Diabetic awareness in the Medical Profession has not moved on in the last 61 yrs., my Mother aged 47 had been Doctoring for 5 months told she was working too hard , drinking (water) and passing water all day and night .. Had it not been for a District Nurse customer at our Garage who whispered in my ear , tell mother to take a water sample to the Doctor she could have died of Keto poisoning . It did cause long term side effects ,Angina ,Heart Disease and became almost blind died of total Heart failure at 67 .

The NHS needs to become transparent , Pharmaceutical corruption is rife with the Royal Colleges involved in operation of Cartels protecting commercial interests , Leading Consultants preventing large minority groups getting Medications . The MHRA is supposed to protect patients but are staffed by representatives of Big Pharma , the Obudsman Service is not independent it represents the NHS .
The Diabetic Service is in the control of Novo Nordisk as is the Oxford University Centre, one Principal won The Jacobson Lecture Prize for services to Novo Nordisk not to
Humanity like Banting and Best .

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. I think you may be generalsing a bit, but there are many unbalanced influences within the medical world. The important thing is for everyone as far as possible to take control of their own medical problem, use the wonderful access the web now gives us to absorb information from a wide variety of sources and make judgements from there and be prepared to challengs. Many sources of funding for charities, universities and so on have a commercial interest so it is important to be aware that you may not be receiving an unbiased opinion. We live in a capitalist society and that comes with it. The current status quo will only change as more people do their own research and challenge any treatment or guidance that isn't based on good scientific evidence. The diabetes advice to have carbs with every meal is an example of how far a complete profession and related support organisations can profer guidance and treatment in this area based on no scientific evidence whatosoever; caveat emptor applies.

raffajaffa

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
gooseberries fish, medium to hot spices, strong alcohol as it does not agree with my liver
Diabetic awareness in the Medical Profession has not moved on in the last 61 yrs., my Mother aged 47 had been Doctoring for 5 months told she was working too hard , drinking (water) and passing water all day and night .. Had it not been for a District Nurse customer at our Garage who whispered in my ear , tell mother to take a water sample to the Doctor she could have died of Keto poisoning . It did cause long term side effects ,Angina ,Heart Disease and became almost blind died of total Heart failure at 67 .

The NHS needs to become transparent , Pharmaceutical corruption is rife with the Royal Colleges involved in operation of Cartels protecting commercial interests , Leading Consultants preventing large minority groups getting Medications . The MHRA is supposed to protect patients but are staffed by representatives of Big Pharma , the Obudsman Service is not independent it represents the NHS .
The Diabetic Service is in the control of Novo Nordisk as is the Oxford University Centre, one Principal won The Jacobson Lecture Prize for services to Novo Nordisk not to
Humanity like Banting and Best .

PERSONALLY I totally agree that the general NHS identification of Diabetics was extremely poor and I discovered
my own condition via a News Item on Sky being given by a Doctor .She predicted in the year 2000 that the timebomb
that had been hanging over the NHS re undiagnosed diabetics in the UK.Due to not testing enough people and what turned out
to be a fear of the cost of medication.
Worse was to follow when I started my treatment and found numerous conflicting messages and opinions as to the overall subject.
After several years ,I had plenty of time as a retired analyst to study the subject and worse was to follow as what appears a panic reaction seemed to
set in and NICE guidelines were written for nurse led treatment. This meant serious cases were wrongly advised. ie those who
did not conform to the usual very common eating disorder type diabetics.
Later I discovered a family history of diabetics which only skipped a few distant relatives but then returned in a later generation.
Also it appears an unidentified cause of death in the family many years ago .
So Yes things might not be perfect but have only moved on a small amount.
I believe you are totally correct re your rant against the Pharmaceutical control of medication.Sadly thats the driving force
in CHEMICAL medication and not always the perfect answer for every person who has an ailment.
It also suits the NHS and Doctors.
I probably could go on at length and disclose a lot more but I am afraid that it would amount to "giving a sample into the wind"
On the bright side, Its better than nothing or some of the black magic elsewhere in the world.
Sometime only marginally.
Well I feel better for posting and will check my reading now. 19.0 and 12 were the latest.
Unlike some with fears at the 6.5 level, Im not that concerned.

Final lines from my earlier poem.

I had written this poem cos my scores are quite bad.
Looking back now, most advice was quite sad.
Not one person was right . so Ive been thru the wars.
,Theres lots more to it , than just watching the scores.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The Doctor at A & E, thought my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter was suffering from a viral infection ? when taken in and mentioned to the doictor that they were trying to get a urine sample from her ( mum went to GP with concerns about possible diabetes )during the night she, GD, was rushed into hospital by dad, put on the HDU and was fighting for her life, It is still upsetting :(

When I was in A & E after an accident in August, the nurse asked for my medical history, told her I had diabetes ( or diabetiuc, can't remember which) and was asked if I was type 2.?? not what type I was. So, yes, in some repects, not a great deal would seem to have moved on :wideyed:

Best wishes RRB

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When I queired my type with my diabetes GP she said I wasn't T1 and therefore was a T2. I had been diagnosed and categorised by the previous diabetes 'expert' GP with a urine stick. There I was stick thin and needing insulin with a stupid assumption via no tests that I was T2. No wonder there are many 'T2s' who are actually LADA i.e. T1 and this messes up the statistics and treatment. The joys of evidence-based medicine. Fortunately the latest Dec 2014 NICE revised draft guidelines have a much better approach to diagnosis.

raffajaffa

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
gooseberries fish, medium to hot spices, strong alcohol as it does not agree with my liver
The essence of conversations I have had with first my Appointed DB nurse then a Doctor and then My endiocryonologist shows
up as follows, (1) Welll if you are type two coming off metformin etc on to insulin then you are still type (2).

Well when you are taking the 110 units and are obviously not producing your own insulin then you are probably type one now.
Once you are registered as a type Im afraid it has to stay that way?...

(3) Well technically even type one people produced insulin at one stage ,SO
everybody starts as a type 2...
Guess why I have little faith in the NHS..

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
(3) Well technically even type one people produced insulin at one stage ,SO
everybody starts as a type 2...
Guess why I have little faith in the NHS..
Now you're opening a can of worms.... Technically, t1s did produce insulin at one stage. Whether, technically, they were ever non-insulin dependent diabetics is another, altogether different, question....

raffajaffa

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have you seen this study?

One in every three people with Type1 produces insulin years past diagnosis.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/on...iabetes-produces-insulin-years-post-diagnosis

ok, My posting was more or less a comment on how NON black and white medical opinion is and diagnosis can be.
This was also a slight throwaway rebuff for those who think that they can just take a set amount of medicine or eat a set amount of carbs and expect to have readings like a well oiled machine..This applies to T1 and T2 who are heading for quasi type1.ie
I do not believe the average Jo comes anywhere near to understand this complication set of interactions.
I also worry about a lot of NEW reports and the conclusions drawn.
Especially in the medical world.:D
Reminds me a little of a person crying Eureka when he saw his first Greek.:singing:
Now what was Metformin originally developed for????t:(

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
ok, My posting was more or less a comment on how NON black and white medical opinion is and diagnosis can be.
This was also a slight throwaway rebuff for those who think that they can just take a set amount of medicine or eat a set amount of carbs and expect to have readings like a well oiled machine..This applies to T1 and T2 who are heading for quasi type1.ie
I do not believe the average Jo comes anywhere near to understand this complication set of interactions.
I also worry about a lot of NEW reports and the conclusions drawn.
Especially in the medical world.:D
Reminds me a little of a person crying Eureka when he saw his first Greek.:singing:
Now what was Metformin originally developed for????t:(
Hi. There have been many discussions on the topic of correct diagnosis and quality of HCPs over the years on this forum. Some of the research reports can be discarded as they start from a biased viewpoint but many appear to be valid but altogether they generate so much data that it is difficult to draw conclusions. So far, many genes have been connected with diabetes which implies a very complex set of conditions. Traditionally T1s i.e. those typically with anti-bodies were thought to be found only in childhood. This is now known to be wrong with at least one T1 diagnsed at age 90! This meant that GPs assumed (like mine) that if you were an adult you were automatically a T2; wrong. It was then assumed that if you went onto insulin from being a 'T2' that your T2 had developed and killed the islet cells; possibly wrong if you were a Late onset T1 (LADA) to start with. DUK and the NHS say that once a T2 you can never be a T1; possibly true if you were a true insulin resistant T2 but not if you were actually a LADA. It is even possible for a true T2 to become a LADA if anti-bodies kick-in late and the T2 insulin resistance is removed thru weight loss. So, it is very complicated and annoyingly HCPs and DUK try to simplify it either thru ignorance or thru a patronsing view of our ability to understand the subject. What I like about the revised DEC 2014 NICE draft guidleines is that T1 diagnosis is no longer thru the two tests, GAD and c-peptide, other than by exception but now by looking at your BMI at first diagnosis and taking account of other relevant factors. This takes account of the fact that GAD is merely one cause of LADA and that being normal/low weight is a stong indicator. Test cost is also a factor.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Forty years ago at the age of 16 my mother and father were about to go on holiday leaving me and my elder sister to cope for the first time on our own, a couple of weeks before they went I became very ill peeing, drinking gallons of water, blurred vision and my legs felt like lead weights , I had so many visits to the doctors only to be told on my final visit that I was just feeling sorry for myself because mum and dad were going on holiday and leaving us on our own. So mum and dad packed their bags and went off to Scotland, the next morning big sister came into my bedroom to wake me up only to find that I wouldn't wake , she ran up the road for the nearest telephone and called for an ambulance , the next thing I can remember is 24 hrs later coming around in hospital with a drip in my arm and a doctor telling me I had diabetes. My mother and father rushed back from Scotland happy that I was still alive , but as you can imagine disgusted at my own doctors misdiagnosis. The medical profession do make mistakes but I think now we all have better access to information so such a mistake could never happen. Looking back I had every symptom of type 1 diabetes there could be and I hope this could never happen again.

Shocking story but thankfully you got to the hospital in time. Same with my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter, inept doctor in A & E saying she had some virus? even though doctor was told that her mum went to GP concerned about possible diabetes and was trying to get a urine test done,( GD was still in nappies then)
, Thank god really :eek: that she was rushed in durng the night, it does make me angry still :mad:

RRB