Just a nosey patient

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks
Just wanted to share my experience with my GP today. Last week I had the results of a blood test and another doctor diagnosed me as having Type 2 diabetes (my mmol was 55). Now from what I can gather from the good people on this forum, the reading I had was not terrible, but neither should it be ignored. Anyway, when I was tested, I was seriously overweight (17st 1lb sand 5' 8," tall). Since then I have lost a stone and thanks to my gorgeous wife totally revolutionised my diet into a largely very healthy LCHF food intake.

The GP today agreed with the earlier diagnosis, arranged an appointment with the diabetic nurse and registered me for regular diabetic eye checks. However, when I asked about blood monitoring the air cooled dramatically! As far as she was concerned the only reason to test bloods for (to quote her) nosiness and there was little merit in regular testing!!! Furthermore, and as expected, if I decided to buy a machine strips would cost almost £30 for 50 and as policy the surgery do not offer prescription for T2 tests. No shocks on the latter point as I know many here have been told the same thing. However, to be told that because I want to be an active player in my healthcare that I am "nosey"?? Preposterous!!

Fortunately, I have the support of people on this forum, but what about the many people being diagnosed each day who are being told the same thing? Needless to say I am ignoring the doctor any my Codefree monitor and strips are already ordered.

Thanks doc for all the support ... and thanks to the people on this forum who prepared me before my appointment ☺

Reactions: 11 people

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can only assume the HCP's have to read from a prepared script, insisting you do not need to test. Far better IMHO to be up front and state the blindingly obvious
How about ' Your condition and the medication will not cause you to have lofe threatening Hypo's and so the NHS will not fund testing. But I would encourage you to buy a meter and test yorself'?

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Welshman1952 I wonder if your GP would be testing herself if diagnosed :wacky: I wish they would just be honest about it being about budgets. There was a thread here once that would make your head spin with all the daft excused HCPs come up with for T2s not testing.

Try to put it behind you. Onwards and upwards (or downwards!)

Reactions: 3 people

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Oooo....if somebody just would dare say that to me...there would have been more than few words given as reply for such a comments :rolleyes:
I'm glad you were aware in advance what 'treatment' you might receive and it didn't come as a surprise for you.
Carry on regardless and look after yourself...you've already made good progress and your results speaks for themselves. And next time you can high light it all being down to your self monitoring and able to control your blood sugars...;)
There is nothing like putting 'them' into their place...:angelic::D

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The behaviour of some HCPs is nothing short of disgraceful - the benefits of testing are numerous (including letting you work out what you can and can't eat).

I fully understand the funding issues with the NHS but to try and belittle people who want to test just so they can justify the non-allocation of strips on prescription as something other than financial reasons is bordering on malpractice, IMO

My DN has been brilliant and was completely honest about why they can't prescribe strips to people who aren't on medication that has a risk of hypos (i.e. they can't afford it), but she is fully supportive of my self testing and wrote "Testing - self funded" on my notes

Reactions: 7 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The 'Nosiness' bit smells a bit like professional arrogance i.e. you're poking into affairs that only GPs and nurses should be dealing with.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think people like her are insecure and scared of having their "superior"professional knowledge and judgement challenged. Pity her for her ignorant and narrow minded outlook - if we were all like her we'd be permanently stuck in the dark ages.

(My original diabetes doctor told me it was OK as long as I just tested as a hobby, but my current one who is also my long time GP, has been more honest and told me the practice manager won't allow type 2s to have test strips on prescription, but he's happy for me to both test and eat LCHF.)

Robbity

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I think people like her are insecure and scared of having their "superior"professional knowledge and judgement challenged. Pity her for her ignorant and narrow minded outlook - if we were all like her we'd be permanently stuck in the dark ages.

(My original diabetes doctor told me it was OK as long as I just tested as a hobby, but my current one who is also my long time GP, has been more honest and told me the practice manager won't allow type 2s to have test strips on prescription, but he's happy for me to both test and eat LCHF.)

Robbity
Since when was stabbing yourself in the finger considered a hobby? :hilarious:

You couldn't make this stuff up LOL

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @Welshman1952 in taking control of your life - and why shouldn't you? coz if you don't nobody else can. And well done too for losing a whole stone in weight, in what must have been a short space of time. I've been trying to lose some weight for 8 weeks now, and have only recently managed to achieve that much, so good on you. Because of what I've learnt on here, from other people's experiences, I've taken the easy option so far, and not mentioned to my GP that I'm doing my own testing. Think I'll drop that little bombshell later on, when I figure the time is right.

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never really saw this perspective until a fellow member mentioned it, but some (perhaps MANY) doctors view glucose testing as beneficial for THEM rather than for the patient. If this doctor felt the same way it would explain the comment about being nosy as she may have been speaking about herself. When you look at it from that perspective, it changes the situation a bit.

Just a thought as it seems some doctors don't seem to grasp the concept that testing provides us with information so we can learn how this disease affects our bodies.

Specsquee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My doctor told me I need to test and have my results documented so my insurance company can see i still have type 1....to maintain my perscriptions....like its going anywhere lol

CarrieB

I think patients are being blamed for poor doctors. As it read it too many patients were being given test strips but not doing anything with the readings. Rather than looking into why (possibly no one had explained it to them?) the NHS decided that it meant people with type 2 diabetes shouldn't be given testing support.

My view is that in the early days testing is essential to find out how food affects you and to let you taken control in managing your diet. Once you've got a good understanding you can drop the number of tests a bit. One way of keeping the costs down is to look for every free meter going, they generally come with around 10 strips and stabbers.