Just a quick one on post prandial....can't find what is what!

MissMac

Just a quicky (oo-er) but because I ate something out of the ordinary today really need some advice. Before meal 5.5, 1hr =7.1 (cue feeling worried) tested at 2hrs and I am back down to 6.3......I would have been chuffed as hell with this had I not seen the 7.1 soooo my point is.....the 2 hr reading is fine in my book.....but does the quick but still under target spike require me to adjust what I ate (plan is to have it again tomorrow you see). I hope this makes sense...am googling my heart out but yet to find a decent enough answer and you know how I love you guys! x

Reactions: Freema

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
opinion ................ NO
if you can keep spikes to a 1.6mmol rise you are doing everything right ......try to relax :)

Reactions: kokhongw and Freema

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Post prandial, the less glucose derived from carbs (glucose) the less insulin needed to cope with glucose, the lower the spike, the more insulin resistance is reduced between. Insulin and glucose are hormones that most effect blood glucose levels.
However even being worried, anxious or exercising will affect bgls. As will other hormonal problems that the female of the species will have!

MissMac

Hi @MissMac. I hope this wasn't a bag of chips with lots of salt and vinegar.;););)
Nope it sure wasn't...it was from the blood sugar diet recipe book I got yesterday and was a bolognese but it had carrot in it and also tomatoes which the first I never eat anymore and the 2nd...like 2 cherry toms at a squeeze....so I can relax then?! I mean 2 hours post prandial and I am well under the "non diabetic" thought process for that time frame so I am pretty ok with that, just didn't wanna fool myself y'see! Am getting nervous about the next HbA1C if honest! x

MissMac

Post prandial, the less glucose derived from carbs (glucose) the less insulin needed to cope with glucose, the lower the spike, the more insulin resistance is reduced between. Insulin and glucose are hormones that most effect blood glucose levels.
However even being worried, anxious or exercising will affect bgls. As will other hormonal problems that the female of the species will have!
Hiya..yeah I kinda get the process I was more concerned with the readings and whether they were ok really....I used to only ever test at 2 hours and would have been happy with this...the fact it has come down nicely within that 2 hours can only be positive yes???? See my point? I am **** at making sense! lol x

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MissMac . I personally think you're doing fine. hba1c will be one of two things. Good or not so good.
Good, carry on with a big smile.
Not so good, reassess, carry on and make the effort to get the big smile back.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Thank you......as have already said a 2hr post at 6.3 I would have been more than happy with!! x
2 hours post prandial is a fairly common testing point -- but all of us are different -- so a test at 1 hour can be informative as well.
repeating meals ( as you have said you will be doing ) is also very helpful , as it gives the tests you do more confidence from
a " I have done this before" standpoint !!

all the best !

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nope it sure wasn't...it was from the blood sugar diet recipe book I got yesterday and was a bolognese but it had carrot in it and also tomatoes which the first I never eat anymore and the 2nd...like 2 cherry toms at a squeeze....so I can relax then?! I mean 2 hours post prandial and I am well under the "non diabetic" thought process for that time frame so I am pretty ok with that, just didn't wanna fool myself y'see! Am getting nervous about the next HbA1C if honest! x

Hiya..yeah I kinda get the process I was more concerned with the readings and whether they were ok really....I used to only ever test at 2 hours and would have been happy with this...the fact it has come down nicely within that 2 hours can only be positive yes???? See my point? I am **** at making sense! lol x

Hba1c is a different test than the normal everyday testing you do to see how food or meal effect you. The reason for the two hour test is to record what happened today, you record it in your food diary. You look back to see trends and especially if you are eating food that is borderline or over the 2mmols. You could test what happens when your numbers recorded improve and you get your fasting levels near normal.
There may be more than one reason why you might get a rogue reading or a reading doesn't make sense. You have to find what foods are not good for you by testing and eliminating them from your diet.
If you have been getting good readings from your testing, your Hba1c should be good as well!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
2 hours post prandial is a fairly common testing point -- but all of us are different -- so a test at 1 hour can be informative as well.
repeating meals ( as you have said you will be doing ) is also very helpful , as it gives the tests you do more confidence from
a " I have done this before" standpoint !!

all the best !

Because of my condition, I had to find out when my spike happened, also when I dropped into hypo, so I would have a fair idea when it was the best time for me to eat again. However, different foods spiked me at different times. But most where within forty minutes and my hypo start was 3 hours and 50 minutes (ish)
Testing can be an adventure in itself.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think you have too much to worry about at all. As you have found, there are as many opinions on peak readings as there are people, just about, and non-diabetics have peaks too.

Next question please!

p.s., does MrMac ever allow you to test him, or does he test himself, out of curiosity? I believe several members have family who are content to shadow test themselves as a comparative.

For MrB, I'd have to have secured his arms and legs and have him under pain of death for him to consent to testing. He wouldn't even let me have a droplet when he cut a finger! Spoil sport, eh?

Reactions: hankjam

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been recently testing at different times after a meal. I always seem to be higher at an hour and coming down half an hour later and still coming down after 2 hours. I do sometimes go over 7 after one hour but I think the 2 hour reading is more relevant for me. I haven't yet tried testing before one hour as sometimes we have only just finished a meal at an hour. For me I like it when I'm back down in 2 hours to where I was before the meal, even if I've been much higher at an hour. I would have been satisfied with your readings and think you're doing well.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Your spike was not too spikey and was well under 7.8. You came back close to baseline at 2 hours. Sounds all good to me.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd be very happy with those test results, so well done, and go for it and have the same meal again today, but with diabetes being what it is don't expect the same result! Sometimes what worked yesterday might not work today, sometimes what didn't work today might work tomorrow..............or not! :banghead:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just wondering why you never eat tomatoes? Is it because you don't like them, or because you think they are too carby?
I have half a dozen cherry toms almost every day, plus cooked toms several times a week. One cherry tom has about half a gram of carb. A 130g tomato has 4g carbs.

I agree with everyone else, your results were good and nothing to worry about.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you're doing fine. I have two recipes each using 400g tomatoes (so 200g for me in a meal for 2) and one, a veggie bolognese type sauce, is bad for me because it has very little fat and the other hardly affects my BS because it's belly pork casserole. So my questions about every recipe are 1) how many carbs? and 2) how much fat?
Edit: onions are a bit sugary too so I watch the amount since they feature in most such sauces and stews.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love tomatoes and have them most days and a salad is not a salad for me without them and we do grow them. I have made some really tasty tomato sauce with lots of herbs and some spice in it which I have frozen and I put it in cottage pies ...made with Quorn.. homemade soups and it is lovely on chicken the only meat I eat..

Reactions: DeejayR and Freema