JUST ANOTHER MAD DIABETIC WEEK

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
I’d become quite unsettled over the last few months with just about everything health wise badgering daily, since ‘99 and starting pumping my HBa1c has been spot on low forties can’t ask better than that ? But I’m still not satisfied I want to get into the mid 5.0s.

Since last year I’ve badgered my diabetes’s team an various GPs to recommend my for the LIBRE but they’ve all turned me down flatly saying I’m controlled, in my favour I test more than 10 times a day, on a pump and have lost most hypo awareness. I’ve really worked at my health to get these results so I’ve brought The Libre myself and 4 months worth of sensors.

I put a sensor on Sunday tea time, Sunday night I went to bed at 9pm and couldn’t eat till Tuesday and only drink clear fluids as I was having a colonoscopy and endoscopy. since Monday morning till 6pm today my blood have not gone lower than 3.8 nor higher than 6.8 testing is so much easier than blood tests, painless, discreet and **** flipping amazing. I’m impressed you can watch it increasing and decreasing, why there was nothing like this when I was younger. Surely that’s the reason all diabetics should get this piece of kit available to them.

It’s made me feel a bit more confident about eventually being supported.

Happy Days

Reactions: Juicyj

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @masonbason63, Has anyone discussed with you the risk of hypo's? Or about an alarm for the libra to register low BSLs? But also the fact that some people find that Libres read lower than the fingerpick BSLs and thus may set off alarms unnecessarily??

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Surely that’s the reason all diabetics should get this piece of kit available to them.
It's an awesome piece of equipment when it's working properly, but, please be aware of the following
1) interstitial readings lag 15 minutes behind blood sugar readings
2)as @kitedoc says, some people find it reads low
3) abbott themselves warn about accuracy at low and high levels (if you've got time double check a hypo with a finger prick before treating, though obviously it's better to treat a false hypo than go unconscious because you've not tended to a real one on time)
4) some sensors give "bad" results - Abbott will replace but you need to cross check with a glucometer before you blindly trust a new sensor
5) some people never get useable results from the libre and some people find that they develop an allergy to it after a while, and the allergy folk often find that the reader becomes hopelessly inaccurate.

But if it's working for you now, enjoy, (I certainly did for the 8 months that it worked for me), it is a life changer.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Long time no see, @masonbason63 !

Glad things have been more settled for you since you've been pumping. I can recall that change well.

From what I read, getting the Libre on the NHS is currently a bit of a lottery, but the guidelines are changing in April. Whether that helps or hinders you can only be speculated of course!

Good to see you aigain, but sorry the challenges continue.

Reactions: porl69

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Thanks for the the reply yes it is a long time, but I’m always in the background reading and learning, just before I forget kitedoc mentioned the importance of hypos and what they can do, after 43 years I’m very aware of hypos I think those and going DKA have got to be mentioned to anybody who doesn’t know anything about T1 it’s not at all a Bed of roses people don’t realise what they can do and the complications they can cause. As for the Libre I did go on a course well it was an afternoon but we did get a free reader and a sensor, and was told all about the interstitial Readings lagging behind.

Since being in hospital on Tuesday my bloods have run just so low not sure why but for some reason all day I’ve not run above 4.4, the Aviva and Libre have actually given practically the same result no lagging or anything it’s been weird I’ve eaten as usual most of the day I’ve been around 2.4 -3.4 I ha a double decker chocolate bar and it went to 4.4 I’m now back to 3.9 I’ve calibrated the machines.

The daft thing is I don’t feel hypo, low or anything absolutely nothing, I’ve now reduced to 70%. All I can actually think is I’ve had a build up of insulin and it’s just now decided to release itself today but I’m on Novarapid which is fast acting ho hum!!!

As for pumps is anyone on or thinking of going onto accucheks Eversense ? Sorry if I got the name wrong it’s their Implant System??

Best regards
DiabeticDave

Reactions: kitedoc