Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Well done
I had agoraphobia and never went out at all for over 6 years.
I started by just going a couple of steps at a time

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good evening @mist I have agoraphobia and GAD for 5 years now and also feel panicky and light headed when I go out,I know how difficult it can be,but I still carry on regardless ,some days its like walking on rubber everywhere I go,but I am not going to let it stop me,in the early days I used to blame the places I went to because my mind was telling me ,every time you go there you will feel giddy,but I persevered and I still go out,in fact it happened to me once when I went in Tesc'os for about two weeks,so I kept going in there 3/4 times a day which in time I got used to it I still feel light headed when I am walking but its not going to stop me,well done my friend your a hero:)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@mist Gotta say well done and good luck with this from an ex-hermit. I clearly remember 45 years ago painting the inside of our front gate but not the outside because I couldn't face the terrors of the pavement. Today I'm carefree and so will you be if you keep going with your winning attitude. When you're all ok you'll be able to understand what other sufferers have to go through, which you can regard as a rare gift.

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im so happy reading this post, u definitely made a HUGE step. I had the same thing a few years ago, was even scared to go out to the garden or go close to windows in the house. After almost 4 years im finally able to go outside, talk to people, meet my friends and relatives. I feel u and im so proud of u. Trust me once u start changing inside, wanting to go outside, u ll definitely make it ! Take ur time, its a long process, u made the first step, keep it up !

@wiseowl_123 u too be very proud of urself, ur strong and nothing can stop u ! (;

Last edited:
Reactions: lilraffie

Jillytee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys, you are very understanding and kind. It's a horrible problem to have but I'm determined to beat it. I think the running challenge was the kick up the bum I needed and I'm looking forward to it.

Not quite ready for crowded streets yet though, baby steps! :D

My sister has agoraphobia so I know very well how hard your battle is, well done for getting outside let alone contemplating running a mile!!! Keep going x

Reactions: lilraffie

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations, @mist
I have to admit I have no idea of how debilitating such a phobia can be but I can appreciate it will have taken a huge effort and a lot of determinatioin for you to get out there and have a walk around.

As you say, baby steps will develop into bigger steps. Stick with it and gradually extend your time outside your comfort zone. You've got an excellent goal for March and I'm sure you can do it.

Well done
J

Reactions: 13lizanne