Just been prescribed Ramipril

Stephanie 1233

Had a doctors appointment today just been diagnosed with hypertension and I got an oppintment in a few weeks for ECG I am slightly freaking out their worried about my pulse and pressure was high is their anything I can do to keep me chilled I have anxiety too .

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you need to lose weight? A drop in weight will probably help lower your blood pressure. You can get your own monitor to keep an eye on it.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a doctors appointment today just been diagnosed with hypertension and I got an oppintment in a few weeks for ECG I am slightly freaking out their worried about my pulse and pressure was high is their anything I can do to keep me chilled I have anxiety too .

Hi @Stephanie 1233,

If you suffer from anxiety, your blood pressure might have been higher than normal at your doctor's appointment. It's called the white-coat-syndrome. (Personally, at home my blood pressure on average is 110/70, but at the surgery it is 150/90 -- something I never ever see at home even after vigorous exercise). So, if you already own your own blood pressure monitor, it might be worthwhile taking some readings at home.

davd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on Ramipril a few years back but it gave me a terrible cough, google will tell you all the hypertension medication that ends in pril one of the side effects is a cough,I also know of a few friends with the same side effects.
My GP changed my medication to candersatan and no problem since.
I think they just give the cheapest medication first.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on Ramipril a few years back but it gave me a terrible cough, google will tell you all the hypertension medication that ends in pril one of the side effects is a cough,I also know of a few friends with the same side effects.
My GP changed my medication to candersatan and no problem since.
I think they just give the cheapest medication first.
Oh? Is Candesartan the more expensive? I have a friend who has been on sick leave for work for almost two years and they are on Ramipril and seemed to act like Candesartan was the beginner's BP meds and that if you REALLY needed it you would go to Ramipril.

Anyway either way - I totally get white-coat syndrome and I can be fine and measure at home and be pre-high and by the time I walk at a leisurely pace to the surgery (you know... back in olden times!) and wait and then have my appt, I am up to high!

A home monitor is an absolute godsend though.

davd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh? Is Candesartan the more expensive? I have a friend who has been on sick leave for work for almost two years and they are on Ramipril and seemed to act like Candesartan was the beginner's BP meds and that if you REALLY needed it you would go to Ramipril.

Anyway either way - I totally get white-coat syndrome and I can be fine and measure at home and be pre-high and by the time I walk at a leisurely pace to the surgery (you know... back in olden times!) and wait and then have my appt, I am up to high!

A home monitor is an absolute godsend though.
Most GP surgery’s will prescribe the cheapest brand of medication first even if it is only a few pence saving, my surgery has changed my metformin brand to sucarto to save money.
If you google the words rapipril cough it will come up with many users who have experienced it .
You can try it and you might be lucky and not give you the side effect, but if it does ask your GP to change ,there are loads of blood pressure medications that work in 3 different ways.
Only this week my doctor has added another tablet AMLODIPINE to take alongside my 16mg of candersatan because my blood pressure of 123/87 is still too high, he wants my lower levels down to 70 even though in my opinion it’s not too high.
Apart from my blood glucose meter a blood pressure monitor is one of my best investments

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tell you what. A cough can be really handy. |If hubby is out walking the dogs, or is on his bike, if there are people in his way, he starts to cough. Never seen people disperse so fast!

Reactions: Arsenal79

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most GP surgery’s will prescribe the cheapest brand of medication first even if it is only a few pence saving, my surgery has changed my metformin brand to sucarto to save money.
If you google the words rapipril cough it will come up with many users who have experienced it .
You can try it and you might be lucky and not give you the side effect, but if it does ask your GP to change ,there are loads of blood pressure medications that work in 3 different ways.
Only this week my doctor has added another tablet AMLODIPINE to take alongside my 16mg of candersatan because my blood pressure of 123/87 is still too high, he wants my lower levels down to 70 even though in my opinion it’s not too high.
Apart from my blood glucose meter a blood pressure monitor is one of my best investments

Friend is on Ramipril - my GP put me straight onto Candersarten hence the question, because my surgery is super tight so I am surprised. Mind you my current GP is so much better than the diagnosing GP so maybe I shouldn't be that surprised!

Then again friend is in the midst of depression and now likes to play 'my drugs are more hardcore than yours'... she actually joked 'next up they'll tell me I am diabetic and then I can be like you'... Ummm.... ?!?!
I have tried to convince her that on top of all these tests they are doing to track down an auto-immune disease that she thinks is the issue, she really does NOT need T2 diabetes added to the mix.

Last edited:

Guitarman63

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take Ramapril given to lower my blood pressure as a precaution after a heart attack in 2019. I didn't have high blood pressure before but that's just what they prescribe. It has no side effects for me, no cough although I know it does affect some folks that way. I think my heart rehab course nurse said cold hands and feet are another fairly common but not serious complaint for all ACE inhibitors like Ramapril. Different people react in different ways and they will always change a drug if you don't get on with it. I was warned about statins and severe wind for instatnce... Can't say I did notice any particular change in the weather... ;)